Sen. Paul Proposes Government Shutdown Prevention Act of 2011

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Link

Finally, some genuine common sense!

Today Sen. Rand Paul proposed the Government Shutdown Prevention Act of 2011 to address the issues that may occur during a federal government shutdown. The proposal ensures that essential government services continue to function in absence of the passage of a spending bill, and incentivizes Congress to act. The bill is intended as a permanent rule to follow for the current and all future cases where Congress does not enact a budget or continuing resolution.

Some key points that are likely to offend many of our elected representatives

Congressmen, Senators, and the President do not receive a salary during the emergency, and are not eligible for back pay when the emergency is vacated.

and is authorized to send out paychecks to all military personnel at the full level of pay. Civilian employees based in the United States will be paid at the same 75 percent rate of other federal employees.

And this, which will more than likely get it shot down:

The Executive Branch is directed to provide no funding for any program created by Obamacare.

The Executive Branch is directed to expend no federal funds to provide abortion services, or to agencies who provide abortion services.

Now thats some change I can believe in!

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
You've got to be kidding me.

It's obvious a biased piece of # that favors conservative republicans.

Change? Just more of the same.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
Change? Just more of the same.

Well, seriously proposing that the dummies who got us in this mess dont get paid anymore is change that I like.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

What does abortion have to do with anything?

I'm not surprised Paul threw that in there.

Proof that Republicans are just as bad. If they were trying to get good PR from this, well then good luck!

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Easily shot down.

Besides, they are probably sitting around having lunch right now talking about their next vacation and/or where they are gonna go when the SHTF. Democrat.... Republican..... when are people going to realize that they are one in the same??

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Me thinks Rand is gunna run for the Big Office with this kind of behavior and attention grabbing.

-I dont know why I could be thinking such a thing.

I for one wouldnt mind him or his dad in the chair rather then whats been sitting there lately.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

That is how the political game is played. Propose a bill that is very popular and then bury some things that your opponents will hate. If they vote for the bill, you get your way, and they lose political prowess and support. If they don't vote for your bill, they los popularity and look like partyline shills that aren't representing the people.

Win-win for the one that writes the perfect bill.

In my opinion, if the government shuts down, then fine. There should be a 30 day cooling off period, where we send our troops home, send out letters with the pay and aid checks letting people know this will be their last one for awhile. Turn off the utilities at the Federal buildings, and so forth.

If a corporation shuts down, then shut it down, don't dilly-dally and play pretend. Give it the ax, and lets get a new one up and running that will actually work!

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

I'm beginning to think that both Pauls are a farce.

Gotta love the worship of Ron Paul on here though, especially when people whine about Obama's fanbase and then turn around to kiss the feet of Ron Paul.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

At this point, I have to agree.

We know this shutdown is a cover-up for something else.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by Juston

Proof that Republicans are just as bad. If they were trying to get good PR from this, well then good luck!

I agree with you completely. But I'd be willing to bet that if a Democrat propsed this, it'd contain wording which continued funding of Obamacare and continued funding for abortion services

If anything, it's proof that the people we elected are just as bad, not only Republicans.

I'm just glad that someone is taking some kind of step, rather than silly back and forth he said / she said arguments.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I agree with just about everything there...except, why did he have to throw in abortion services? "One of these things is not like the other. One of these things just does not belong."

edit on 7-4-2011 by angrymomma because: because a question isn't a question without a ?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Well

Pauls- Actually work.

Obama- Doesnt.

There is a reason why people love Ron Paul ,hes a great politician.One of the FEW good ones we have left.

Hes earned his stripes. Obama was handed his.

So, big difference in fan base =)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by angrymomma

I have to admit, I am not a fan of abortion, but from a purely economical standpoint, if the government is under-funded, the last thing it needs is more hungry mouths on governmnet aid. Therefore, abortion seems like one of the few things it should fund.
(I do not actually feel this way, I am 99% against abortion.) Just saying, from a purely economical perspective, it seems like a bad thing to add to a bill regarding the budget.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

conservative republicans

Here we go with the terminology and labels again...

Will people stop pointing out if this is republican or democrat or whatever and look at what the actual bill proposes. If it is a good thing then support it.
Here we have a bill that goes for the people and against the corrupt guys and still we have people that will try paint a bad light.

Do you know that Ron Paul has stood by liberty since the beginning of time basically? He is a genuine guy. Believe me! He is not part of the system. I wished people could see that...

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I just feel that if a woman wants an abortion she is going to have it done no matter what. I'd rather she go to a doctor than a back alley abortion center, do something stupid like substance abuse or something of that nature. You know what I'm saying? Sorry, I'll stop derailing the thread now!

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Rand Paul is a neoconservative nut job. The only people who give him any credence is the extreme right wing faction of the Republican party.

Dr. Ron Paul is a genius but will, unfortunately, never become President due to his strict Constitutional adherence and the fact that he has made no friends on either side of the political isle.

Both political parties in this country should be abolished. The only purpose they serve is to demonize the other side while they both sit around and rake in millions of dollars from lobbyists and special interests.

Damn politicians, we need LEADERS.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
People really need to do some research on this guy... He has zero skeletons in the closet. ZERO! NADA! He is 100% for the people. Actually he has been saying since the beginning of the ages that if he becomes president he will reduce taxes to the people to virtually NOTHING. And on top of that cut spending. Doesn't that sound like real change and magic?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
Just saying, from a purely economical perspective, it seems like a bad thing to add to a bill regarding the budget.

Yeah, it's great for the budget. Cuts down on crime too.

If we ever got to a place where we were still forced into taxation yet had the ability to selectively allocate our tax burden to programs we personally support I would most likely check off the "abortion" box.

I'd never mandate or even advertise it but I'd definitely fund it as an option. The less unwanted kids there are in the system the better off we'll be. Assuming I still have to be a part of this system.

Though knowing the government they'd wrap it under some umbrella including overseas bases and congressional pay raises and I'd have to refuse.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

I think Thomas Jefferson summed this up pretty well when he stated:

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. "
— Thomas Jefferson

Your coercing individuals to pay for something they disbelieve in. Your using force to get what you want via taxation. Public funds for abortion is coercion and morally and ethically repugnant.
edit on 7-4-2011 by EndTheFederalReserve because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by EndTheFederalReserve

Allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment.

The abortion bit is only a play to the Tea Party's conservative base.

I loathe Social Security and will never be able to make use of it, but I am forced to pay into it.
I'm not a fan of abortion, but it is legal in this nation. And while I'm not too keen on my tax dollars funding those procedures, we have to do what is right for the majority of people. If we could all pick and choose what we paid our taxes into, we would probably all choose to not pay taxes at all.

As much as we all like to say we're hardcore and what not, sometimes compromises are the only way things get accomplished.
edit on 7-4-2011 by Dreine because: (no reason given)
edit on 7-4-2011 by Dreine because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join