It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smith & Grassley: Delaying REAL ID Implementation Endangers American Lives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
From Committee on the Judiciary pages....

here.
Letter

Washington, D.C. – House Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith (R-Texas) and Senate Judiciary Committee Ranking Member Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) today sent a letter to Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Janet Napolitano regarding the implementation and future of REAL ID. DHS has pushed back the REAL ID deadline by 20 months to January 15, 2013 and Secretary Napolitano has once again called for the repeal of REAL ID.

Basically, the letter and article are critical of Napolitano's lack of enthusiasm to chip America. The statement in the letter (accusation really) that her hesitation was "to usurp Congress's authority" by using the excuse of State's concerns during this economic downturn, are not valid. The reason they say it is not valid is because of her address to the Anti-Defamation League National Leadership Conference in April 2009 where she allegedly states:

Ad so we've been, over the last weeks, meeting with governors of both parties to look at a way to repeal REAL ID and substitute something else that pivots off of the driver's license but accomplishes some of the same goals.

The PASS ID ACT (though it is a bill still not passed by House or Senate) came about June 15, 2009 and apparently the initial start date was pushed back to MAY 11, 2011! Now May 12, 2011 has been talked about as Pole Shift Day. Well, suppose it is not a Pole Shift (Earth) that we have to worry about but that expression "The Earth Moved" because of some life changing event. Either way, Napolitano seems to be blocking PASS ID and keeping it from coming to the forefront for whatever reason.

Now I'm not calling this a point for our side but what do you guys make of this? I'm just hoping this is the earth shattering event that was to take place because let's face it: The day you tell Americans they must take this chip whether in card or body implant form, there are going to be repercussions - serious repercussions! I don't think this fact is wasted on this woman. But it's more important to note how these guys: Lamar Smith and Charles E. Grassley are pushing hard to get this ACT going and people shelling out cash for their new id's and swamping unprepared licensing agencies.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I hope there will be repercussions from it, but I suspect the sheeple will just take it. I do not believe most Americans have any type of intestinal fortitude or ability to deal with the slightest discomfort any more. It makes me sad to see this once great country die.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I don't want it...I got enough IDs...
Ya, I see the potential benefits...but enough is enough...too many grids...I am tired of it all.

I want out..let me have a passport and thats good enough

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I will turn into a criminal because I refuse to compromise my sovereignty or privacy for anyone. I will not be tracked. I have already found ways to get around a credit report, and I have dropped out for all intensive purposes. It would be very, very difficult to find me.....I have committed no crime, but I will not be controlled or analyzed by corporate or government interests.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

I know what you mean but to me there seems to be more here than just being tracked. I mean why is Napolitano stopping 'progress' for lack of a better word?
Also I'm hoping she is one of the ones that realizes that this has nothing to do with terrorists getting ID's. Heck, if everything is chipped it can be assumed that there are no paper trails and no real oversite. Won't this make it easier for criminals to get or rather steal government ID's?

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by lostviking

I know what you mean but I think we should begin voicing this stuff now that someone is actively trying to sabotage it.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Yet I feel its another straw on the American Camel's back. We the people can't buy enough to get our economy going with all the job loss. They are trying to 'disposable income' us to death it seems.

But I honestly feel that if this is being slowly derailed by Napolitano, then we should find ways to help.

top topics

join