It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can the US take Bagdad?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Maybe not according to Debka...

1. Contrary to expectation, there are no signs of cracks in the Iraqi high command - from the chief of staff down to division, brigade and battalion officer level.

Franks had one last stab at undermining the Iraqi command Monday, March 24. At a news briefing called without prior notice, he said the Iraqi command is no longer robust, hoping perhaps to influence the morale of the lower ranks of Iraqi officers and troops.

2. In view of this and other emerging facts, the coalition is short of ground strength for the assault on Baghdad. Franks officers at Doha are saying that the Iraqi capital cannot be taken by two US armies. While there is no intention of postponing the assault on Baghdad, putting in a request to the White House for reinforcements is under consideration. The 4th Armored Division passed through the Suez Canal Monday on its way to the Gulf.

To shorten its journey, the divisions troops will probably disembark at Saudi Red Sea ports and cut through east into Iraq. The 173th Airborne Brigade based in Italy, counterpart of the 82nd Airborne Division, has received orders to move out to northern Iraq.

3. All these forces, as well as Iraqs elite divisions, are making ready to fight the main battle for Baghdad. According to our military sources, that campaign is most likely to get started on Saturday, March 29. Only then, will the two sides bring out their biggest guns and apply firepower to a degree never seen since World War II.

If the battle goes against him, Saddam may well disclose the chemical and biological weaponry he has kept hidden, or even resort to some sort of nuclear device. That will also be the moment of greatest peril for Israel and Iraqs other neighbors.

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 06:58 PM
link   
it will be a much more difficult task bringing in heavy casulties from both sides no doubt. the RG units will likely retreat to the inner cities, and attack guerilla style making it very hard for US troops. it wil lbe a long tiring seige, and afterwards, support for the 'war on terror' will likely fall.

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Does a bear shi.......sorry!

I think it can be taken, but nowhere as easy as most people thought. It's a little disheartening to hear that Franks' own officers say that Baghdad couldn't be taken over by two US armies. I dont understand why they aren't bombing Baghdad's military facilities like the first night of shock and awe. I hope we dont see chemical weapons when the ground troops arrive, things will get really ugly (like they're not already).

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I think the battle for Baghdad will be intense and extremely hard, harder then any other battle we've had so far, but I definitely think we will be victorious. With the proper air support/bombing campaigns and tactical ground combat formations and fighting we can do it. I have a lot of confidence in our troops and they will definitely we able to get the job done

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 09:33 PM
link   

TextI think the battle for Baghdad will be intense and extremely hard, harder then any other battle we've had so far, but I definitely think we will be victorious. With the proper air support/bombing campaigns and tactical ground combat formations and fighting we can do it. I have a lot of confidence in our troops and they will definitely we able to get the job done

Midnight Mutilator,

Will it be the Army Rangers and the Marines who go in first? Do you think they will do more bombings, like Shock & Awe before invading? My fear is that there will be way more Iraqi military than expected. Hopefully, our troops will be able to wait for more backup. There's no doubt that the United States Military can take Baghdad, but it won't be easy. I totally agree with your statement.

posted on Mar, 24 2003 @ 10:28 PM
link   
It all depends on what restrictions the fire controllers are under. If they have restrictions to minimize civilian casualties, then allied casualties would ( probably ) be high and the battle would take a while.
However if restrrictions are lifted then we could see a swift victory, but with high civlian casualties. It is much easier to completely destroy a building than to storm it.

posted on Mar, 25 2003 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a quick deployment of air-dropped troops and artillery north of Baghdad, once an area is chosen and cleared by air power. This would solidify a northern front as well as the soldiers coming up from the south to form a ring around Baghdad, and secure the area. We're likely to see a large use of non-lethal weapons as well, to flush out the soldiers that are dispersed amongst the civilian population...imho.

posted on Mar, 25 2003 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The answer to this question is "Yes, Certainly." But with that being said it must be remembered that this War was initiated & was intended to employ a 'two-pronged attack', one from Kuwait in the South and second from Turkey in the North. This was not possible due to the refusal of Turkey to permit the staging and deployment of ground forces from Turkey.

Approximately 35% of the ground forces intended for the
successful attack & victory in this War are still not yet in place; They are enroute from Turkey, and the Black Sea Carrier Task Forces also are not-yet in place.

When (5-8 days) these Forces are 'in-place', there will be sufficient Coalition Forces to successfuly conclude this War.

God Bless Our Country and All Coalition Forces

USAFSS-SP

posted on Mar, 25 2003 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I think that's exactly what the enemy is predicting. I doubt the armored divisions would be moving so quickly towards Baghdad if that were the case...I'm still forseeing a mass airdrop of troops, which would lead to a quicker assault on Baghdad. Guess we'll just wait and see....

top topics

join