It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An open letter to the Senate and House.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Elected Leaders,

I remember as a child, the sense of pride I had from being an American. We said the Pledge of Allegiance daily in school, learned the words to the National Anthem, hell, we even knew who wrote it and the circumstances as to why it was written. Do you remember? I have a feeling that you don’t. You probably don’t care either.
Anyway, throughout my time in High School, I was thinking about joining the Military…the thing that kept holding me back were the sacrifices that would have to be made, you know, moving all the time, being away from family and friends, the social stigma that often comes with being in the Military, so on and so forth. But you know, President Kennedy said:
“My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you -- ask what you can do for your country."
To me, those words weren’t just a saying underneath a motivational poster, or on a plaque in some fancy office. I thought that was a damn good piece of advice, and believe it or not, that is what made up my mind regarding a career in public service via the Military. Scores of people before me did it, and some of them are directly responsible for the freedoms we have today.

I’d be curious to know…really know…why anyone of you got into public service.

What sacrifices have you made?

Well, fast forward ten years later to today. I’m still serving, but it’s getting harder to justify why. Ten years of our “wars” (for the record guys, war hasn’t been legally declared since 1942), our “military engagements”, skirmishes, etc…I’ve dealt with downsizing while we keep spreading across the globe. I’ve dealt with pay cuts, I’ve dealt with bad mouthing by you guys. Yeah, I’m still here.
For ten years, both sides of the aisle have been acting like spoiled children fighting over the proverbial candy jar. Well, that jar is empty now…Actually, it has been for a while, but now that it’s gone, you guys are throwing some serious temper tantrums.
“Oh no!” you say. “This is outrageous! The party are acting like fools and they are evil and they are trying to ruin the country!”

Wrong.

Your stupid, petty, hypocritical political ideology is what’s ruining this county. All of you are guilty of this.

Rather than lose face by conceding to the fact that we are screwed monetarily (amongst other things), and that changes OVERALL need to be made, you guys would rather play sides. Like two groups of kids in a playground playing a perpetually paused game of “Red Rover”.

Look. You guys want to stop my pay. Whatever. I know it won’t be permanent. It’ll go back to business as usual eventually. But here’s the rub. The fact that it has gotten to this point makes me sick. After I’ve played your games for this long…that’s a slap in my face. I’ve done my job…For a lot less. Why the hell can’t you do yours? At this point in time I don’t care if you are liberal or progressive, right or left, black or white, muslum or Christian, gay or straight…Just fix the damn problems. Because you know what?

You are all Americans.

For ten years I’ve defended your right to what? Be an idiot?

Well, I’ve gotta get back to the grind fella’s. For those of you who showed up for work today, I hope it’s a bad one.

Nero played the fiddle while Rome burned.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Also, just because this shut down only affects Government employees at the moment, I hope that all Americans can see that the severity of Government incompetence in the long run will affect us all.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Hey random guy, thanks for the star and flag

join