It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did the Democrats Pull a Fast One By Failing to Pass 2011 Budget? Setup?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Actually, I believe the whole Planned Parenthood argument can be killed easily.

Planned Parenthood is an International Federation it is not a government entity. The American arm of it has a $1 B annual budget. Its primary focus is birth control, which governments and religions have both historically been against, but that is for another thread.

The Federal Government already funds State Health programs. Each state already has community health clinics, education programs, etc., etc. I happen to work for Florida's Health department, and we are currently cutting some major programs like, Children's Medical Services, because of the economy and budget shortfalls.

Planned parenthood is not a government entity, they are an International Federation with their own agenda, and a powerful Lobby (The PPAF, Inc.).

So, are you honestly proposing that the government should allow important services like CMS to go away, and leave a gaping hole in healthcare, while funding a $1 B powerful International Federation's lobby? Are the Democrats more concerned with supporting a billion dollar lobby than supporting government run healthcare agencies in each state? Are Democrats more concerned with funding birth control than funding care for prematurely born babies, and underprivileged children in need of healthcare? Are Democrats more concerned with supporting this giant Federation, and its lobby, than they are with paying our own military personnel and Federal Civilian workers?

Would they really let the Federal government shutdown, just to protect the illegal funding of this special interest over the funding of existing government programs that are shutting down as we speak?

It seems to me the Democrats have their priorities all mixed up? It seems to me, they are more concerned with their own campaign finance and commitments to a powerful lobby than concerned with running a country and protecting the life and health of their citizens?
edit on 8-4-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Here we are on the dawn of the govt. shutdown and we have bickering on all sides, me included, regarding how we got into this mess and how we are going to solve it. The bottom line...we have to cut the current spending and put the reigns on future spending. Right?

Let's take a trip back in time to 2009 and read what Obama had to say on the topic Medicare/Medicaid costs and future spending.

President Barack Obama, in marking his first 100 days in office in 2009, said that Medicare and Medicaid were the biggest problems the government faced and that they were “really breaking the bank,” adding that the federal government needs to “tighten our belts … in an intelligent way.”

Answering a question at a town hall event in Arnold, Mo., on April 29, 2009, Obama said that Medicare and Medicaid – rather than Social Security – were the entitlement programs that posed the greatest risk to the federal budget

He actually said it. "tighten out belts...in an intelligent way". That's what the GOP is trying to do. We are on the heels of economic collapse and the free spending like there is no tomorrow has to end.

“What we face long term, the biggest problem we have is that Medicare and Medicaid – health care costs are sky-rocketing, and at the same time as the population is getting older, which means we're using more health care,” said the president.

“You combine those two things, and if we aren’t careful, health care will consume so much of our budget that ultimately we won't be able to do anything else,” Obama added.

Obama also said that to deal with the long-term fiscal problems posed by Medicare and Medicaid, the government would have to trim its budget.

Wow! he advocated trimming the budget and indicated that Medicare and Medicaid would break the bank and yet...

Obama never proposed any changes to Medicare or Medicaid, except for cutting $500 billion from the Medicare Advantage program as part of Obamacare. That move, which will save the government money, is not near enough of a cut to save the budget from the ever-growing burden of federal entitlements.

Further, the White House recently denounced the only proposal on the congressional table that would prevent Medicare and Medicaid from causing an economic crisis.

Once again, his actions speak far louder than his words. Anyone get that yet?? Day in and day out, its the same story.

So, if you're Obama, let the economic crisis happen? That will guarantee a collapse of the entire system. That of course will lead to chaos... I think you know where I'm headed now... What will rise out of the chaos if we allow our nation to plummet into it? Look at the Middle East and Libya. Chaos is a necessary catalyst for "hope and change".

I'm at my wits end....

www.cnsnews.com...
edit on 8-4-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
I just finished this article and it certainly makes sense given the current state of the budget debate. It also makes sense when you consider the three stooges, Pelosi, Reid, and Obama, who failed to maximize their super majority in a FAILURE to pass the 2011 budget. They got stung in the 2010 election and set themselves up for 2012.

By failing to pass a 2011 budget last fall while still in charge of the House, Senate and presidency, the Democratic Party set up the potential for the Democrats to blame the Republicans for what they did not do last year when they controlled all three entities.

How could this happen?

Who is responsible for the U.S. budget? The president? The Senate? The House of Representatives?

Reviewing Reality:

The government is facing a potential shutdown because no 2011 budget was passed last year, when it was supposed to be passed. At that time, the Democratic Party controlled the House of Representatives, the Senate and the presidency. The 2011 budget year began Oct. 1, 2010.

Then-Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and President Barack Obama failed last year in their duty to pass the 2011 budget.

They failed the American people.

Was this deliberate? A Govt. Shutdown helped Clinton get reelected. He came out smelling like a rose.

Was this an inability of the leaders of the party in control (the Democratic Party) to work together and do their job? Or was this a deliberate and strategic play, devised under the specter of the Republicans taking over the House, with the goal of setting up a possible shutdown once that happened?

The last time the government was shut down, the Democrats blamed the Republicans. The time period was Nov. 14-19, 1995, and Dec. 16, 1995, through Jan. 6, 1996. This was the first full year budget of the new Republican Congress, not a budget left by the Democrats as unfinished business, as it is this time.

The 1995 shutdown led to a balanced budget and welfare reform. Good conservative fiscal outcomes of real programs, a win for Republicans. The Democrats won the media spin.

Remember that we are in the current pinch because the Democrat MAJORITY FAILED TO PASS A 2011 BUDGET!!!

Here's the way it's supposed to work: The House passes the budget bill, the Senate approves (and often reconciles with the House), and then the bill gets sent to the president for approval. Since the House is the closest to the American people, it would be wise for the Senate and the president to open their ears and listen to the will of the American people.

Based on where we are on the 2011 budget, either the Democratic Party is critically inept or strategically brilliant while being duplicitous.

You decide.

townhall.com...

Given the circumstances around the passing of Obamacare and the statements made by Pelosi regarding it, I'd vote for duplicitous.

Synonyms for duplicitous :
crooked, deceptive, double-dealing, dishonest, fast, fraudulent, guileful, rogue, shady, sharp, shifty, underhand, underhanded

Remind everyone who failed to pass the 2011 budget. Let's hope this little plan backfires! Reality bites!
edit on 7-4-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

Wow, the synonyms for duplicitous sounds strangely close to defining the GOP these days. Actually, I think they all are duplicitous.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by aero56

Indeed there is plenty of blame to spread around. However, all evidence is pointing to a deliberate action when Pelosi refused to place the budget on the floor. Even Charlie Rangel said that they were avoiding a "political hot potato" with the budget back then.

New York Rep. Charles Rangel says his fellow Democrats failed to pass the 2011 budget bill when they were in the congressional majority because it was “a political hot potato.” Rangel also said Thursday on Fox News that Congress needs to avoid a government shutdown, which would “embarrass the nation and the world.”

www.newsmax.com...

If I didn't submit my budget and critique at work I'd be fired!! It's part of the job for me and for congress!!!

Someone is going to be held accountable

“Why was it that a few months ago … when the president had both Houses under the control of his party — why did he opt not to pass a budget for fiscal year 2011?” asked Sen. Mike Lee, who helped found the Senate’s Tea Party Caucus earlier this year, according to The Hill.

“It was either irresponsible on one hand or deliberate and malicious on the other with intention to bring about a sequence of events that would culminate inevitably in a government shutdown,” said Lee, R-Utah.

The spending measure funding the government is set to expire at midnight Friday.

President Obama has threatened to veto a one-week stopgap measure passed by the House Thursday afternoon that includes language that would prohibit the District of Columbia from using local government funds for abortion services.

“The question we have to ask ourselves is: Why does Barack Obama, president of the United States, want a shutdown?” Lee said in his floor speech.

www.newsmax.com...

Will anyone put the three stooges in the Hot Seat regarding this issue. Its playground politics at its lowest element. Rangel was actually right. It is embarrassing for this nation because we have a clear lack of strong leadership in the White House. Which equals weakness in the eyes of the rest of the world.

The clock is ticking and midnight will be here before we know it.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I absolutely love how their being called the three stooges. Totally appropriate.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join