It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did the Democrats Pull a Fast One By Failing to Pass 2011 Budget? Setup?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I just finished this article and it certainly makes sense given the current state of the budget debate. It also makes sense when you consider the three stooges, Pelosi, Reid, and Obama, who failed to maximize their super majority in a FAILURE to pass the 2011 budget. They got stung in the 2010 election and set themselves up for 2012.

By failing to pass a 2011 budget last fall while still in charge of the House, Senate and presidency, the Democratic Party set up the potential for the Democrats to blame the Republicans for what they did not do last year when they controlled all three entities.

How could this happen?

Who is responsible for the U.S. budget? The president? The Senate? The House of Representatives?

Reviewing Reality:

The government is facing a potential shutdown because no 2011 budget was passed last year, when it was supposed to be passed. At that time, the Democratic Party controlled the House of Representatives, the Senate and the presidency. The 2011 budget year began Oct. 1, 2010.

Then-Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and President Barack Obama failed last year in their duty to pass the 2011 budget.

They failed the American people.

Was this deliberate? A Govt. Shutdown helped Clinton get reelected. He came out smelling like a rose.

Was this an inability of the leaders of the party in control (the Democratic Party) to work together and do their job? Or was this a deliberate and strategic play, devised under the specter of the Republicans taking over the House, with the goal of setting up a possible shutdown once that happened?

The last time the government was shut down, the Democrats blamed the Republicans. The time period was Nov. 14-19, 1995, and Dec. 16, 1995, through Jan. 6, 1996. This was the first full year budget of the new Republican Congress, not a budget left by the Democrats as unfinished business, as it is this time.

The 1995 shutdown led to a balanced budget and welfare reform. Good conservative fiscal outcomes of real programs, a win for Republicans. The Democrats won the media spin.

Remember that we are in the current pinch because the Democrat MAJORITY FAILED TO PASS A 2011 BUDGET!!!

Here's the way it's supposed to work: The House passes the budget bill, the Senate approves (and often reconciles with the House), and then the bill gets sent to the president for approval. Since the House is the closest to the American people, it would be wise for the Senate and the president to open their ears and listen to the will of the American people.

Based on where we are on the 2011 budget, either the Democratic Party is critically inept or strategically brilliant while being duplicitous.

You decide.

townhall.com...

Given the circumstances around the passing of Obamacare and the statements made by Pelosi regarding it, I'd vote for duplicitous.

Synonyms for duplicitous :
crooked, deceptive, double-dealing, dishonest, fast, fraudulent, guileful, rogue, shady, sharp, shifty, underhand, underhanded

Remind everyone who failed to pass the 2011 budget. Let's hope this little plan backfires! Reality bites!
edit on 7-4-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
While you bring up interesting points, it appears you have fallen into the black hole of 2 party politics.

Both parties work toward the same ends for the same reasons. This is a large part of why we are in this mess to begin with, because everyone has been falling for it, as long as anyone can remember.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
While you bring up interesting points, it appears you have fallen into the black hole of 2 party politics.

Both parties work toward the same ends for the same reasons. This is a large part of why we are in this mess to begin with, because everyone has been falling for it, as long as anyone can remember.

I am not falling for anything. I watched the game play out in 1995 and I saw the result. At least back then Clinton actually knew how to work both sides of the aisle to accomplish something. Unfortunately, a two party system is what we have to deal with until some legitimate third party has enough clout to gain enough recognition to actually win an election rather than taint it.

We now have an Obama in the WH who is telling Congress to stop acting like children in regards to a govt. shutdown. I seem to recall Obama mocking the tea party and the opposition to Obamacare in my short term memory bank. Do as I say not as I do Mr. Obama?? Obama has set the tone for DC politics by not rising above the flotsam. He has been part of it since day one. Obama stoking the flames one load of BS at a time.
edit on 7-4-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Wasn't it ObamA who said to republicans, "We won, get over it"
Now he's upset because the republicans own the house and he's weeing himself over a pretty weak package of cuts?

They, the media will try to blame this on republicans, the tea party and even Bush if they can!

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Remind everyone who failed to pass the 2011 budget. Let's hope this little plan backfires! Reality bites!

You can remind all you want...doesn't matter...like republicans like to say about Bush...that was the past

The fact is that the republicans COULD have avoided all of this if they didn't try to play politics with the budget themselves.

IF this was the plan by the democrats...the republicans took the bait hook, line, and sinker.

You can say it is deceptive all you like...but being deceptive is part of good strategy.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

You can say it is deceptive all you like...but being deceptive is part of good strategy.

And that's what's wrong with the country.

Some assholes are playing a game and many other assholes are cheering them on.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

And that's what's wrong with the country.

Some assholes are playing a game and many other assholes are cheering them on.

Everyone is playing the game.

Even the beloved Ron Paul plays the game. The game has always been played...and like it or not, you are part of the game. The game absolutely depends on a group of people who think it is dumb to play the game...that is part of the game.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

It helps that the players just round up and arrest or kill anyone who wants out of the game.

Their time will come.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

It helps that the players just round up and arrest or kill anyone who wants out of the game.

Their time will come.

If someone wants to leave the game, they must exit the playing field.

In other words, they are free to leave the country at any time...no one is stopping them.
edit on 7-4-2011 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Your perception of the "playing field" is a little narrow. There isnt any nation on earth that isnt playing or being played.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Your perception of the "playing field" is a little narrow. There isnt any nation on earth that isnt playing or being played.

Well then you should find the "playing field" or nation that is playing a game that you like. And then you play by those rules.

I'm curious...what are your thoughts on illegal immigration? Do you expect them to play the game by the rules?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I'm curious...what are your thoughts on illegal immigration? Do you expect them to play the game by the rules?

a) what does that have to do with politicians playing politics?

b) No, I dont expect them to. I dont expect anyone to nor do I wish anyone to. Liberty for all.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

a) what does that have to do with politicians playing politics?

b) No, I dont expect them to. I dont expect anyone to nor do I wish anyone to. Liberty for all.

Because it is a common issue that is used to play politics.

But I'm glad you support illegal immigration, I also support people trying to make a better life for themselves.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Good strategy doesn't make good statesmenship. There is a difference between playing the game and serving for the betterment of the nation. One can play the game while also presenting, or accepting, solutions to real problems. To ignore real solutions in order to win office is not ethical, and no matter how much you blame the game there simply is no excuse for the so called, "Strategy". The problem isn't the game, which everyone blames, it is the players.
edit on 7-4-2011 by memarf1 because: Had more to add.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Not the brightest bulb here but I see other threads on a new revolution and calling for a new government. Well, my personal opinion is that this is the time to call for a revolution.

Its messed up that these guys up in congress will still have their nice pay while our soldiers downrange will stop getting paid.

How much more messed up does it have to get before anything happens?

As I stated above, not the brightest bulb here but I thought that government shut down meant the whole government was shutting down. I was really pissed off when I seen that congress was still going to keep going to get paid.

I bet that if their pay was scheduled to stop. The budget would miraculously be approved overnight.

This is all complete BS. I thought that Jessie Ventura was a joke but he maid sense on an interview that I seen yesterday where he says that we have to get rid of Republicans and Democrats. They are both the same in one.

They play golf and party together in private and to the public eyes they act like they're against each other.

I can picture them sipping on their martinis during these "Nightly Budget Meetings" at the white house.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by memarf1

Good strategy doesn't make good statesmenship. There is a difference between playing the game and serving for the betterment of the nation. One can play the game while also presenting solutions to real problems. The problem isn't the game, which everyone blames, it is the players.

I agree...and what the Dems did was delay playing the game...that is all they did.

They put the ball in the Republicans court and they are deciding to hold the ball. They are trying to legislate through a budget bill...defunding programs their ideology is against but will really not make much of an impact on the budget...and wanting to repeal or rollback entire laws.

This is not the time to do this...this is the time to get the budget passed...not hold the country hostage to try to push your agenda. And that is exactly what Republicans are doing.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Very interesting and I certainly believe it is likely this was a perfect example of dirty political games.

I think it's tragic how both sides are more interested in their party's power and image than they are what is good for the country. It would certainly fit the MO of purposefully dropping the ball on the budget and causing problems for our country just so they could point the finger at the other side.

I hate this 2 party system structure.

On a related note, I am also concerned about incumbents who spend the second half of their term concentrating on the next election. There is so much to do but their time is consumed with campaigning. All the news about Obama spending $1 billion on his new campaign and the fact it has already started is a shame and I wish there was a better way. Just think about it.

We're so busy setting up for the next step that we never resolve anything during the current.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I'm not buying the whole theory that it is the Democrats agenda to force a government shut down, I almost did, but this morning I decided it was simply spin.

Could Obama have played a better cheerleader? Sure, but the bottom line is that there hasn't been a budget passed across his desk for him to sign, which means that the issues rests firmly in the hands of Congress. I think the Republicans are trying their best to not be blamed for dropping the ball, play the victim. While, they won the House, the Senate is still a Democrat majority and will require the compromise and tact that neither side wants to use.

It's all a ruse anyway, if they felt there was an immediate danger, they would come up with a budget. It's simply in both their interests to shut down.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

They are not holding the country hostage to pass an agenda. The previous 2 years of outlandish spending has done that, not to mention the decrease in tax receipts due to the recession. The democrats would have us raise taxes to fill the gap, and that would be an excellent bandaid, but it wouldn't repair the broken arm.

Passing a budget for the sake of passing a budget doesn't make sense. We are at a crossroads, the country has maxed out their credit cards and needs to change its spending habits. The answer is not to get more credit cards and go on another shopping spree, the answer is to stop eating out so much and wear the clothes we have!

The republicans have presented an excellent proposal and it will almost certainly fail b/c of the democrats playing the game instead of leading the country. There is a time for politics and there is a time for leadership, right now since our president and the democrats wish to play politics I am happy that the republicans are stepping up and attempting to present solutions.

It is obsurd to think that we can fix a 1.7Trillion dollar deficit with a 100billion dollar spending cut. Ridiculous! Whats more, the democrats are playing the game and blaming the republicans for pushing for a government shut down. In reality, if the democrats would have tried ruling for 2 years instead of getting drunk on the spending, the shutdown wouldn't even be an issue. 100billion is ridiculous all on its own, but the democrats want far fewer cuts! They are essentially saying that they have a big credit card that is maxed out, but instead of cutting the necessary amount, they will go out for coffee once a week less. INSANITY!

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I'm interested on why people are not focusing on the current issues that are holding up the budget. There are two items.

1) Republicans want to 100% defund Planned Parenthood.

2) Republicans want to remove funding from the EPA to regulate greenhouse gases

In short...the Republicans are trying to legislate through the budget by pushing their own specific agenda items.

This is NOT what the budget is for...if they want to repeal laws, they should do it through the normal process. They are using the threat of government shutdown to try to push their agenda...not because they are concerned about spending.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join