It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many people here are Agnostic or Atheist?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   
A lot of threads seem to get bogged down in 'the bible says this', 'islam this', 'christianity that'.

How many people are agnostic or atheist? (doing a survey of sorts)

I don't know if there is a God and I don't care. It's like arguing 'how many angels can stand on the head of a pin'. Nonsense as far as I can see.
Discussion of subjects for which no evidence is available is ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Im am an athiest.

Its kind of a "Non Prophet" religion...... Get IT?

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Discussion of subjects for which no evidence is available is ridiculous.

Hi! Welcome to ATS!

Logic/Science based Athiest here.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Nothing really

I am smart enough to know that I am not smart enough to know. No mater what ANYONE says they dont know either.

I have had an near death experience so I know you live on after your body dies. For how long or where you go I dont know. I died for a few minutes but did not see Jesus or the devil or my grandma or santa clause or anyone else, I didnt see the "light" or hell or heaven or anyother place other than doctors working on me.

I did not feel joy or fear either just a slight pang of loss for my faimly I was leaving behind and a couristy about what was gonna happen next.

I am still waiting to find out.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I am agnostic. To me this means that there is the possibility of "god", bvut no person or religion has show or proven it to me. Just becouse it has not been proven to my satisfaction, does not mean it is not true. I know,the natural next question would be, what would it take to prove it to you. The honest answer is I don't know. To me all religions require having faith - a belief in things. My problem is I see this as blind faith, how can you believe in something that can;t be proven-yet. Some people say-oh, well the bible (fill in any religions holy text) say....the problem with that is it is using a theory to prove itself-A mathamatical no-no.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Im am an athiest.

Its kind of a "Non Prophet" religion...... Get IT?

I like that

Anyway, I'm an atheist as well. But don't mind my username and profile

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I think i am an atheist, because i do not see a reason for the existence of god(s).

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I do know that Evil Knievil said on the radio, "That an atheist contributes nothing to society." I'll leave it at that.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Savoirfaire
I do know that Evil Knievil said on the radio, "That an atheist contributes nothing to society." I'll leave it at that.

Oh well since Evil Kenivel Said it it must be true. Im going to let you in on a little Athiest secret: Evil is our Prophet!!!!

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 01:55 PM
link   
i am a paranoid agnostic....i know that there are forces at work in the universe....and they are out to get me.....

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I am Christian... therefore I am agnostic! Since The Bible says that the Christ is the alliance between Man and God, and the only link between humans and the absolute. All of the other "aeons" promoted by gnostic, hermetic or even pagan beliefs are misleading and false. I've been atheist for years, but let's say that a few months ago I saw the light inside me, and I did'nt needed any initiatic process or secret rites for that...

AF1

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I'm an atheist here. All religious gods seem to be fiction and made up to help control the general populace through fear.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I'm an agnostic, as I don't know one way or the other. I doubt that our world is the result of an accident, but that's my opinion, and until it can be proved conclusively, then this is merely my uninformed opinion, to my way of thinking.

As for "blind faith", or for that matter, any faith at all in this matter, I wholeheartedly envy those who possess it. Having faith is obviously a great comfort to many people, and I wish I had it. For that reason, I never try to argue or put down any "true believers". Many times, however, I wish these people would accord me the same courtesy.

Also I have no idea what it would take to make me a believer - but if or when it happens, then I'll know. I find the idea that an atheist or agnostic doesn't contribute to society, quite narrow-minde and utterly without proof.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Im usually just a vouyer here but I will toss my voice out and say I am Agnostic. I dont know whats out there. I don't know if there is a heaven or hell but I do know that me as an individual I can create my own heaven or hell right here on earth based on the good or bad actions I take.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Evil Knievil didn't say agnostic's contribute nothing to society, only atheist's. I don't agree because all are created by God the Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit and he felt all were worth Jesus' death for them. Even if only one of us accepted the gift of salvation he still would have came and died before his ressurection back to the triune Godhead.

However, the Bible does say that those who do not accept this gift of salvation will realize that it would have been better to have never been born.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Thanks to an ancient civilizations class, I'm whatever it makes me when I don't believe in ANY God/gods.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
One may ask such questions about agnostic or atheist "beliefs, and opinions."

To really ask the right question one would say "Is there or is there not a higher power accessible within your life connecting through the universe, in physics, time-space?"

What we call our "faith," is only a cultural folkway, usually something political, as how one interacts with other human beings in social solidarity, and consistency.

By the same token to ask a person what that person "is," requires the same "leap of faith," into a category.

I know for myself there is a "higher power," something ineffible that exists, evidenced by the fact that I exist, and I am alive rather than actually being struck by a 4x4 block of wood many years ago. How that block of wood suddenly turned to the ground, bounced exactly upwards next to by big toenail lifting up at the last instant, is an ineffible mystery to my direct experience.

So to me religious and cultural terms no longer hold as much significance to me as in years past, and denials of the higher powers appear to me to be some kind of cynicism and cultural removal process. Whatever "it," the "end all of everything," as defined in the dictionary, is, I only know because of it I exist at all. No other explanation suffices, as any cultural folkways, traditions, and other methods of taxation without representation, will not do.

On the other hand where folkways actually represent people without taxation, I do affirm what we understand as something from God, perhaps a Guardian angel if you will.

[edit on 25-7-2004 by SkipShipman]

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I'm an agnostic pagan. I can't say I'm entirely sure that other entities are totally separate from us in a psycho-spiritual sense, rather along the Hermetic axiom "As above, so below; as within, so without."

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I would challenge any agnostic or athiest to read Lee Strobel's book "The Case For Christ" and come away without considering the possibility of God. Strobel was a die hard athiest. Truly believed there was absolutely No God. After years of trying to disprove Christ, he discovered he couldn't have been farther from the truth. His book is an interesting read, and is well written. It is not "faith based". Only well supported facts.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I dont participate in any organized religion and dismiss the theory of an omnipresent being.
I do however believe the idea of "god" came from the higher self. I believe the mind is capable of all knowing and that nature is one great big organism and we are part of it. I believe there is a connective web of collective conciousness amonst those of the same species and you just have to learn to tap it.

My beliefs are based on science and not spirituality.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join