It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The United States Locks Babies Up In Prisons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

As I am rather new to this, please forgive me if this has already been posted. I did search around to see if it was and I found nothing. I felt strongly enough about this subject that I had to this my first post. Yet another incredibly unamerican undertaking by The Reichssicherheitshauptamt (Department of Homeland Security).

...Corrections Corporation of America (CCA), the largest private prison corporation in the United States, was hired by Williamson County to administer and run the center for the housing of non-criminal immigrant families "while they are being processed through requirements of Immigration and Naturalization". Prior to ICE and Hutto, these people were allowed to return to their homes under supervision, while their cases were being decided. There was previously a 90% rate of complying with the conditions set by Immigration and Naturalization Services. Normally, men and women were detained separately and minors, if they were detained at all, lived in residential facilities with the benefit of social services and schools. But, at T. Don Hutto, entire families are incarcerated together. There is another facility in Berks County, Pennsylvania, where children are also being imprisoned. There may be many more of these "detention centers". Lately, ICE suggested that there are (or soon will be) at least 23 of these facilities in the United States. It could be that there are many more than that. No one is talking about these places....

...It was also reported that children were threatened by guards that harm would be inflicted on their parents if they didn't behave, among many other abuses, including rape of female inmates in front of their children.....

Read full article here

edit on 6-4-2011 by Q:1984A:1776 because: Pertinent information from article added.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.

edit on 4/6/2011 by tothetenthpower because: added exe tags..mod note

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by dereks

Originally posted by Q:1984A:1776

[removed off topic quote]

The article is about quite a bit more than just illegal immigrants. There are people from many countries detained at these facilities, many of whom are fleeing oppressive governments and coming here legally, seeking political asylum. It is unfortunate that they are leaving places like North Korea, and finding a country like Nazi Germany instead of what they may have believed to be a place with, "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me..." writ over the door (so to speak).
edit on 4/7/2011 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Good post. S&F for you.

"Residential Facility" What a quaint term.

And I definitely don't like the idea of a "civil detention system".

Police state here we come.

Again.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I don't really see the issue.

What should they do with a family? Break them up? Send the parents to jail and the kids to foster homes? Immigration has become a hot issue in America, and people are constantly calling for illegal immigrants to be treated like a criminal. To be placed in facilities and not allowed to just meander about in the general public waiting for trial, or other proceedings.

I think outside of releasing them all, placing them all together in a facility of some sort is the best option if they aren't going to immediately deport them. Placing one parent here and another there and a kid in a youth home, or somewhere else wouldn't be beneficial to anyone, including the gov.

I happened to watch this show about the Border Patrol on NatGeo last night. I've never seen it before, I'm not sure why it was on, I guess I was watching something else and just left it there. But they covered a piece of border in Texas, I'm not sure if this one is the focus of the show or if it moves up and down the border.

In one section they had found a mother and daughter who had been left behind by their main group because the daughter had ashthma, and had sprained her ankle and they were slowing the group down. Talking to her they learned that she was from Ecuador or somewhere, and had previously been to the U.S. seeking asylum. She spent 2 years in a facility waiting for trial due to various reasons, one being that her state appointed lawyers never showed up in court. Frustrated, she left the facility and went to Mexico with her daughter. There she apparently tried to sneak across, and was caught in the process. I'm unsure of what her became of her.

They also showed another guy who had came from I don't know where, but it was about 13,000 miles away. They asked why he risked so much to come, and he just spoke of hardships and war and wanting something better for his life.

Earlier in the show, they had a group of volunteers who sit out once a month looking for people crossing and they alert the patrol. According to them they do it because most of the people crossing are dangerous criminals with criminal backgrounds and they just want to know who's coming into their country.

I thought the previous stories were ironic in light of that, and while I don't insist that no criminals cross the border, I feel most stories resemble those and are of people just searching for a better life.

People say that they can just go through the proper channels, but apparently when you do go through those channels you're left in a facility for years on end, while the people appointed to help you do nothing to help you.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Article is dated Feb 12 2010, Video in article posted in Mar 16, 2009. ? How long has this been going on? I've never heard of such a thing.

My goodness there has to be a better way of solving immigration besides this!

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Q:1984A:1776
[The article is about quite a bit more than just illegal immigrants. There are people from many countries detained at these facilities, many of whom are fleeing oppressive governments and coming here legally, seeking political asylum. It is unfortunate that they are leaving places like North Korea, and finding a country like Nazi Germany instead of what they may have believed to be a place with, "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me..." writ over the door (so to speak).
edit on 4/7/2011 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

It is about illegal immigrants.

Illegal immigrants aren't just Mexicans, those just seem to be the overwhelming majority. Anyone from any country who enters the country illegally is an illegal immigrant.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
It's a very sad day friend when our country, a country of immigrants takes this kind of action to lock up and take forever to process innocent children. Prisons have become big business as more and more become privatized. To keep those prisons running they need people to fill them up with, this is so sick and so criminal that I can't find words to express how horrified I am and how out of control our country has become. A REAL solution needs to found to the illegal immigration problem, surely their must be an answer other than locking up entire families?

Again we have the profit before people agenda and what I'm going to the call the prison industrial complex PIC which is a huge money maker for someone. I know Whackenhut is also part of the PIC and they have mercenary guards and soldiers all over the world and look at some of the scandal and shame they brought upon themselves and their country. It would be interesting to see who owns these companies and they should be ashamed of themselves.

SnF Cheers coco

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I live in the part of Arizona where this issue is often heatedly discussed by many with your apparent outlook on the matter. I also feel that there needs to be something done about the criminal immigration that occurs on a massive scale every day in my state. I do not however, see how you could say "I don't see what the big deal is" or whatever tripe you spouted when the article talks about people seeking political asylum through the proper channels and then being raped in front of their small children. Either you are a heartless # or you didn't even bother to read the article.
Also, I'd like to add: my grandparents came here from Nazi Germany to escape the political atmosphere with many similarities to what is going on here and now. They didn't have to wait in an internment camp while they were approved for asylum.
edit on 7-4-2011 by Q:1984A:1776 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Q:1984A:1776

Well I was commenting on the topic of the thread, which I thought was locking up families in the "prisons", not what happened to them while they were there.

Your grandparents most likely didn't have to way years for their case to be processed. They were probably given asylum in a reasonable amount of time.

Now when for a variety of reasons you have seemingly atleast a 2 year back log of people to be processed, then the general public crying out for illegal immigrants to be treated like criminals and locked up, what is your proposal?

The most logical answer for me would be to ensure that you have the manpower to handle the caseload. I see nothing wrong with people wanting to live here, regardless of where they are from. But if you don't have the necessary resources to process those people then the backlog begins.

Children die in state's supervision or custody almost everyday because the people assigned to be there for them are either to busy or to negligent to care. I don't see these caseworkers. and the situations here being all that different.

Obviously the system doesn't work. And either people are released on their own recognizance or they are held seemingly indefinitely while they await some form of action. It seems to be a rare occasion that someone is deported, outside of being caught in the act of sneaking across the border. It seems a majority screams as loud as they can that "they're taking our jobs" and "they're responsible for most of the crime". That same majority is also screaming for action, and this is the action they want. They want people sent away, and if they can't immediately be sent away they want them locked up, not roaming the streets taking their jobs and raping their daughters.

The big deal I don't see, is crying for action, then crying about the action. Especially when by your own words you want something done about the criminals, not that women are being raped, much less in front of their families.

While I feel for their respective plights, I don't see a lot that can be done, or that will be done about it. I'm sure there is a lot of money to be made somewhere, by someone, in these facilities.

If the process that got immigrants proccessed was a private entity and not a government one, I'm sure their would be no shortage of workers and the backlog would not be 2 years long.

But that argument opens an entirely different can of worms.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
There ya go, people...one of the first "Fema" camp experiments. How else will they know what to do unless they practice?
Sorry, if that sounds harsh...but most times I tend to call it as I see it.

My heart goes out to to the mothers and children that are housed in that prison, and as was suggested in the second video of the series...why not use the abandoned nursing home that would be an alternative to the prison? Easy...no MONEY in it in the first place. Private prisons are the reason America has more prisoners than any other country...Money, money, money. All this information was somewhat dated, it would be interesting knowing how, if anything has changed since this was first viewed.

My beliefs are that there is no problem accepting those that need to immigrate...but do it LEGALLY. If it can not be done legally and application be made for American Citizenship, send them back to their prospective countries unless they can show that their lives are immediately endangered...in that case, train a bunch of jobless Americans to staff real neighborhood HOMES, not prisons, to keep an eye on the citizens in training, until they can be assimilated and become LEGAL citizens...if they can't do it within a year of being in America...again...send them back to their country of origin.

Do have to wonder how Americans that would choose to immigrate to another country would be treated...truly not as badly as this.

Again...children/mothers should never be treated as these people were treated...there is always other alternatives.
edit on 7-4-2011 by Holly N.R.A. because: (no reason given)

top topics

join