It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New, New Lies About Meltdown in 2 - Through the Floor or not?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Representative Edward J. Markey, Democrat of Massachusetts, told a House hearing on Wednesday morning that the Nuclear Regulatory Commission had told him that the core had melted through the vessel.

The NRC responded to Markeys questions about the reactor in part: “part of the Unit 2 core may be out of the reactor pressure vessel and may be in the lower space of the drywell.” After the hearing, in response to numerous questions, the agency said that “there are possible leakage paths from the reactor vessel into the drywell.”

In other words, the plutonium/uranium rods have melted through the bottom of the containment vessel. From there they could have even melted through the cement floor- which would produce the hydrogen gas that exploded.

Later, the NRC publically stated that: "The statement said that the commission “does not believe that the reactor vessel has given way, and we do believe practically all of the core remains in the vessel.” "

Link to Lies

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
They should have killed all these Reactors from day one.

As soon as the "Sea Water" hit these things, they were useless.

Why don't they just encase them and be done with it...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   

It did not say whether the fuel was molten or solid. If molten fuel has left the reactor’s pressure vessel and reached the drywell in substantial quantities, it raises the possibility that the fuel could escape the larger containment structure, leading to a large-scale radioactive release.

You have to wonder what they consider a large-scale release!

A training manual developed by the companies that operate this type of reactor and dated 2009 refers to the possibility of “creep rupture,” in which molten core material begins seeping through a hole in the vessel and creates a bigger hole as it works; the document says the molten core material can “ablate” a bigger hole. It can then burn through the steel at the bottom of the drywell and interact with the concrete, producing carbon monoxide and hydrogen, which could react explosively.

They had explosions some time ago... Logically, it would mean it totally, or partially melted through? Then it would mean we are in what they consider, but keep quiet about, a large-scale release?
Creep ruptures all right...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I'm definitely keeping an eye on Ed Markey. He is all over these guys. He had the best info during the BP oil volcano and would not let them get away with a thing. I used to do news searches during that Crisis and he was always forcing their hand when they tried to lie.

Now he is doing the same with TEPCO and the NRC- who I bet were totally shocked that a politician spilled their beans in public. a bp story
Thank goodness for people like Ed and Arnie Gunderson of Fairewinds or we would be completely in the dark half the time.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere
They should have killed all these Reactors from day one.

As soon as the "Sea Water" hit these things, they were useless.

Why don't they just encase them and be done with it...

They can't just encase it all and be done with it. Your statements here show that you have little knowledge of how these reactors work.

1: Even when shut down, they take a very long time to cool.

2: The reactors /did/ shut down when the earthquake occurred. The trouble is they were still hot and required cooling. Unfortunately, the tsunami killed the backup generators that were designed to keep the cooling systems running, so the coolant boiled off quickly.

3: The fuel rods are too hot to allow concrete to set properly around them. Concrete doesn't properly set on a hot summer day, so I think you can understand how it won't set properly around fuel rods that are much hotter.

4: Concrete sets in an exothermic reaction, meaning it gives off heat. That's not going to do anything to help the overheating fuel rods. In fact, it will make the situation worse.

5: Dumping concrete on it is not a long term fix. Just look at Chernobyl where the concrete dome is already cracking and beginning to released the contained radiation.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by BriggsBU

Thanks for correcting the misconceptions about entombment, you're right!

Regarding melting through the floor, one thing we learned from the post mortem of Three Mile Island is that they didn't really know what was going on inside the reactor.

To confirm this leakage, it seems they'd need a robot with a camera and a radiation meter, that could survey the area underneath the primary containment, if that's even accessible to the robot.

And if there's leakage, is it just seeping through a crack in the containment? Or did the corium (molten core) actually melt through? The second scenario would me much worse.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Dr. Michio Kaku is saying to entomb these things.

I guess you are now the smartest guy in the World.

If you don't mind, I would rather listen to the experts.

Please refrain from calling me names. I never claimed expertise.

www.peoplestar.co.uk...

reply to post by BriggsBU

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Michio Kaku is a theoretical physicist. He is not a construction engineer. Nor is he a nuclear engineer. Yes, he is a very intelligent man and one of my favorite scientists of the modern era. However, even geniuses can be wrong and make mistakes, especially when voicing opinions on matters that are outside their area of expertise.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere
If you don't mind, I would rather listen to the experts.

Please refrain from calling me names. I never claimed expertise.
Nobody called you names that I can see, just correcting your misconception.

Maybe you SHOULD listen to the experts. Michio Kaku isn't one.

Here's what the experts say:

Experts knock notion of burying nuclear reactors

“We believe it is not a realistic option,” said Hidehiko Nishiyama of the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency. And Teruaki Kobayashi, a manager at the Tokyo Electric Power Co, said the utility would not rule out entombing the reactors but thinks the probability is low.

It’s true that concrete tombs may someday stand at the troubled nuclear complex, one expert said, but only as a long-term strategy once the radiation has cooled.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I guess I might of been led astray by the good doctor.

I am sorry I had bad information.

"Entombing" these things made sense to me.

I guess I have some reading to do.

I thought the "Doctor" was a good source...

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
So, can one of you guys explain to me,

How entombing these things would of turned out worse?

I would really like to know...

top topics

join