It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who wants to take a pill that will make you more morally aceceptable in the eyes of society?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
www.smh.com.au... -the-answer-may-be-in-a-pill-20110407-1d5c9.html

A new field of science has opened up at the Oxford Centre for Neuroethics...they're striving to make a pill that eliminates anger, racism and immoral thoughts and actions.

A pill to enhance moral behaviour; a treatment for racist thoughts; a therapy to increase your empathy for people in other countries - these may sound like the stuff of science fiction but, with medicine moving closer to altering our moral state, society should be preparing for the consequences...

If anyone has seen the movie Equilibrium, this is disturbing to say the least. Morality and ethics should be chosen, not forced.

Kahane does not advocate putting morality drugs in the water supply but does suggest that if administered widely, they might help humanity tackle global issues. "Relating to the plight of people on the other side of the world or of future generations is not in our nature," he says. "This new body of drugs could make possible feelings of global affiliation and of abstract empathy for future generations."

What does everyone here think about morality and should it be forced via medicine?

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
sounds like a clockwork orange, lol

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Mmmmmm Bugger that I say
Can only hope that we get the gun carta because that was cool (Equilibrium)
Thought police anyone?
edit on 6-4-2011 by Nemain73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Endling

Someone posted the exact same comment you did when I posted the link on Facebook...it also reminds me of Equilibrium if you've seen that?

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Hmmmm, how is morality defined and how does that in turn, become a synthetic chemical in pill form?

Interesting.

Frightening.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Nemain73

Whoever markets and puts this drug into place in society is not reading our thoughts, nor will they ever...but it will change the way we think so that we CANNOT think in ways they don't want us to.

link   
Well this pill will obviously be the road to eliminate the individual so you have the same emotions as your peers no differation. So you'll be a good little minion.

So be a good little robot and feel no emotion. So you can do your function robot.

link   
Their version of morality is not the morality, so my answer is no. It should not be forced because morality is merely subjective. There's no universal law that says racism is immoral and empathy is moral. There are certain people I hate and I choose to hate them, but that doesn't mean I'm absolutely immoral. This pill idea just seems like a method of control because they think their version of morality is an objective aspect of life when it is clearly not.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Wasn't a literal "moral compass" recently discovered in the brain?

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Forcibly? No.

Depending on the company doing the research/maufacture I might not be opposed to the idea of it being marketed though.

Still..MDMA anyone?

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperZepto

quick get them out to politicians and world leaders before its to late!

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Morality is entirely subjective and defined only by a cocktail of the subject's experiences, influences and reactions to events that raise questions of morality.

link   
Is it extacy?

link   
reply to post by SuperZepto

Nice,

The Slave Pill !!!!

Take the pill and all their troubles are solved. No more pesky differing of opinions or protesting citizens!

link   
reply to post by lifeform11

Haha damn straight, screw trying to save the world, let's make some politicians a bit more even-minded!!!

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I think Ann Coulter would try it.

Right after she talks about how many lives big pharma saves every year.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ballsdeep

MDMA was used pharmaceutically in the beginning to do just the thing this pill is trying to do...but its' effects on serotonin meant it was labelled as an illicit substance.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
So, ZOMBIE PILLS are the next new medical breakthrough.

"Lets remove all responsibility from the slaves and give them their morning meds.
They're truly too unintelligent to realize that in order to fit in with the NWO we
require that they obey with a smile when ordered to live the lives we have chosen
for them." possible reply from a NWO doctor to colleague

Guess the fluoride and depopulation just couldn't cut it.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
The Zombie pill. Yummy

Will it was only a matter of time befroe they invented something like this.
Its a scray thought where this could all lead. I can picture TPTB giving these to all of lives agressive people. And if thats the case then there goes all the sports i love and watch.

Edit . HOLLY beat me to it.
edit on 6-4-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Our last vestige of freedom, the ability to think freely, will be stripped from us.

The scary thing is people will welcome this.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join