It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: North Korea Accuses US of Spy Flights

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 08:03 AM
link   
North Korea accused the US of flying 1200 spy missions over the country in what it said was in planning a potential strike. The flights were to have happened from January to June of this year. North Korea has done this in the past and the US military has not commented on these claims while acknowledging that we are monitoring the country.

abcnews.go.com
SEOUL, South Korea July 25, 2004 North Korea on Sunday accused the U.S. military of conducting more than 1,200 spy flights over the communist country from January to June and claimed that Washington was looking for a chance to launch an attack.

The U.S. military used U-2, RC-135, and other reconnaissance aircraft for the flights, North Korea's official news agency KCNA said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Surprising?, Not at all, with North Korea reactivating their nuclear weapons program, one would have to assume that the US is using at least satellite surveillance if not some reconnaisance flights over the country. The countrys are still trying to negotiate a peaceful solution to the current situation and this may be a ploy by North Korea to steer the US towards accepting more of North Korea's demands in the discussions.

[edit on 7-25-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I don't think thay are actuall overflying the country. The SR-71's are retired, and the U2 would be vulnerable to SAMS. As for the KC-135, christ its basically a 707. However,the U2 can fly parallel to the border and side scan into NK. FOr that matter a KC-135 can be used for SiGInt and Elint work at standoff ranges that would make it safer.

If they are overflying them it is either with the DarkStar follow on, or the SR-71 follow on (Aurora)

They complain all the time. If they don't have anything to hide why are they worried about it?

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   
What, the US over flying North Korea and being accused of it? How dare those people!!!!!!!! Being one who has heard the loud speakers, and have seen the choppers fly out, only one could imagine where they were going. I suppose they will find more tunnels under the dmz, and close them. All in all, this does not surprise me at all. OOPS, they forgot to count the times the satellite flew over,also.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by pfcret
Being one who has heard the loud speakers, and have seen the choppers fly out, only one could imagine where they were going.

PFCRET, what do the loud speakers say? I have heard about them, but never heard a description of what they are saying. Words to live by by the dear Leader? Death to Yankee dogs????? Have a nice day?

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
They complain all the time. If they don't have anything to hide why are they worried about it?

Good point, I think that the N.Koreans are just using this as leverage in the negotiations going on right now to stop their nuclear program. It is getting to the "cry wolf" stage with their accusations IMO.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
Good point, I think that the N.Koreans are just using this as leverage in the negotiations going on right now to stop their nuclear program. It is getting to the "cry wolf" stage with their accusations IMO.

You have to wonder what good they feel it will do. The US has all but admitted it is keeping an eye on things in NK. They can't stop it and do they really think that the complaints will. "Right away Mr Ill...."
Good point on the crying wolf tactic. They do seem to do that whenever something is comming up.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Who gave US the right of spy plane to fly over North Korea.

Remember even UN had to get Iraqi permission to fly U-2 over Iraq?

I find it discouraging to see so many American people think they have right to do anything all over the world. There is no respect for other nation and other people.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by zcheng

As I pointed out if you bothered to read the previous posts. The U2 shadowed the border and peered in with side looking SAR etc. What are you gettin so bent out of shape about, Taiwan flew U2's over your country for years.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   

The problem is when North Korea makes many false accusations, how is one to know when they are telling the truth about something.

Like Fred T said, We have more than enough technology to monitor North Korea without invading their airspace, this is fact and their accusations have more often than not been less than truthful and besides being used as leverage in negotiations, probably is used to brainwash their population that the evil US is coming to get them.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
The problem is when North Korea makes many false accusations, how is one to know when they are telling the truth about something.

Following the same logic of US over Iraq WMD, US should furnish the evidence that No spyplane overflight of NK has taken place.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Following the same logic of US over Iraq WMD, US should furnish the evidence that No spyplane overflight of NK has taken place.

No, the North Koreans should provide evidence of their accusations, you are wrong my friend.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Ah the CHinese system of justice. You are guilty untill proven innocent. then even if you do the state will still put you in prison. (Assuming that you even get a trial)

More to the point ZCheng, in other threads you claimed that Kim Jong "I be Illin" IL is not a madman and has peacefull intentions. Why should he worry about a few planes?

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I don't know where they have room to complain, we run spy flights on every country that isn't open to our military being inside it's borders. Especially when we are concerned they are selling nuked to terrorists.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Ah the CHinese system of justice. You are guilty untill proven innocent.

No, that was the American system as zcheng draw the parallel. Read more carefully.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by shoo
No, that was the American system as zcheng draw the parallel. Read more carefully.

Shoo, I stand by my quote. Zcheng is saying that the US is Guilty unless they prove they did not fly over. ie: You are assumed quilty untill you prove you are innocent. That is what he is saying

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Oh my...

he said as a parallel that the USA said that Iraq is guilty of having WMDs until they prove themself to be innocent.
(guilty until proofen innocent...)

Now he wants the same from the USA, they should prove that they haven't done any spy flights.
(guilty until proofen innocent...applied again)

He uses a sarcastic parallel, m'kay?

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 01:00 PM
link   
And what is North Korea going to do? Shut down the US spy planes? or may be North Korea, Iran and China should get together and fight US, Right?

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
And what is North Korea going to do? Shut down the US spy planes?

Remember about a week ago, there is a news saying that US spyplane was crashed south of Soul? US denied, but who knows.

Thanks shoo for explaining in simpler terms.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Let me get serious here, if an airplane crashed in North Korea it will have been all over the world news after all US is the imperialist evil of this world.

Right now US does not have the financial and manpower to go into another conflict and I think this the reason that North Korea, China and Iran are doing this open complaints and warnings, but I see it to the point that it all will die down soon.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Let me get serious here, if an airplane crashed in North Korea it will have been all over the world news after all US is the imperialist evil of this world.

Does the south of Soul belong to North Korea?

By the way, is there any news of Apache down in Iraq near Ramandi? It is amazing on the ability of US to control world mainstream media.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join