It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Governor Christie Owns Greedy Teacher

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Governor Christie did a nice job answering some questions from what appeared to be a teacher. I thought he carried himself very well and gave some interesting insight into NJ Teachers Union. Most shocking was the request for a pay freeze for one year and that teachers or in general state employees would now pay 1.5 towards health insurance. As stated by Christie the teachers get free dental, vision and healthcare..please understand that it means they pay nothing each week to go towards insurance or atleast I that was I pulled from the snipet. Worth watching people...Link
It's 9:12 minutes long but again I think it's worth watching...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I thought Christie came across as a confrontational and smug scumbag, which is what he is, IMO. And "greedy teacher"?
Yeah, OK, is that what's it coming to in this country? The average teacher salary is in NJ is $58,000. That's greedy? Asking not to pay for school supplies out of your own pocket is greedy? Also, why does New Jersey have declining state revenues? If Christie is even telling the truth, who the hell knows. I find it laughable that Christie says he's on the side of the teachers.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Teachers greedy? Um, excuse me... BANKS.

Top 20 hedge fund managers made 60 billion last year. That's enough to pay over a million teacher's salaries. And this was just 20 people.

Who's greedy?

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
How much does the governor pay for HIS insurance?

Just curious...

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAMIAM
How much does the governor pay for HIS insurance?

Just curious...

With Love,

Your Brother
And his body guard (State Trooper), perk's: gov. mansion, driven to most functions ect. ect.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Look's to be well fed, like 2 month's minimum of extra calories. So who feed's him? Some one please audit this man's expense account, down to the last cent.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by origamiandurbanism
The average teacher salary is in NJ is $58,000.

Which is $13,000 more than the state average for all workers. And, how many of them must pay all of their insurance premiums? What about half? But 1.5% is unconscionable?

www.simplyhired.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

Fact of the matter is , WE the People of the Great State Of New Jersey are getting Sick and Tired of the High Tax Rates in our State that go to Pay Union Workers Pensions for 30 YEARS after they Retire . Enough is Enough , and Gov. Christie is just Pointing out the Obvious here . We Are BROKE , and the FREE LUNCH the Unions have been getting All these Years just has to END ...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
That scumbag asked teachers to take a 1 year pay freeze and donate 1.5% into their pension? Just so he could try to pay off the $1billion in debt incurred by his predecessor? HAH! The teacher's union showed him! They came back with a resounding "HELL NO!" So he was forced to lay off the teachers! This meaning, of course, that instead of making the same amount next year the teachers are unemployed! That's right! That'll teach HIM to mess with the teacher's union!

/TOA

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrstock
Look's to be well fed, like 2 month's minimum of extra calories. So who feed's him? Some one please audit this man's expense account, down to the last cent.

Don't bother commenting on the actual topic, just call the man fat and demand he take a pay cut.

Are you at all familiar with the situation here in NJ or are you just bored tonight? The governor gave the schoolboards for all the districts(of which we have way too many) the budgets they were to use. Those schoolboard officials are the ones who decide what to cut where and like any greedy corporate whore they started firing teachers and cutting school programs and blamed it on the Governor rather than cut the fat from their own friends and family at the top.

The teachers union then began a disgusting campaign of ads and disinfo against Christie. NJ has become one of the greatest examples of a Union having too much political power.
edit on 4/6/2011 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

I just watched the entire video and, I must say, I am continually impressed with your Governor. I think he conducted himself very professionally, while flatly laying out the truth. Unfortunately for you, I'm betting you will be losing him to the national political scene, before too long.

ETA: That is, unless you can negotiate to keep Christie in exchange for someone else taking one Snookie and one Situation!

Much thanks to the OP for bringing this to ATS.
edit on 6-4-2011 by WTFover because: Added a ridiculous joke... (insert rimshot here)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Christie is nothing but a big bully using the Teachers like Ronald Reagan used the Welfare queen Cadillac myth.

Christie idolizes Reagan and thinks he will get to the White House by demonizing teachers. He is a part of the national Republican witch hunt to attack unions, state workers and teachers

Now that Welfare has been cut to the bone, Republicans no longer have anyone to demonize so they now, like the lunatic in Wisconsin, are picking on teachers and state workers.

He cut the education budget—by getting rid of the millionaire’s tax—by 1.5 billion dollars! Recently the State Supreme court judged what he did as unconstitutional.

Because of him drastically cutting the budget cities have to raise taxes to pay for teachers, policeman, and fireman, so his idea of cutting taxes backfired. He doesn’t care really because Republicans ONLY want to cut taxes for the rich not the middle class.

This country will be destroyed by people like him, unless the American people finally wake up and not put the destructive—lackey’s to the rich—anti-human Republicans in office.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

Thanks for the props I would have commented to some of the replies but seeing as though he is not my governor I really don't know the deal in NJ...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by origamiandurbanism

I know 58,000.00 does not seem alot to you but to me it sure is..not a bad income also please keep in mind they have the summers off which is a nice perk but some folks forget about that huge benefit..think of how much they can save with day care or things they can do with their children because that time is spent at home..not a bad deal...as far as the teachers saying they pay for supplies out of pocket..I believe it but I also recall and i'm in my 40's my teachers having to purchase supplies especially art stuff...not saying it's right but lets keep things in perspective.

snippet
"New Jersey teacher salaries have remained significantly higher than the national average of $49,720 in 2009 and $48,353 in 2008. The average teacher salary in New Jersey was $61,830 in 2009 and $61,185 in 2008. In 2007, New Jersey teachers were paid an average of $58,823 annually.

Teaching salaries in New Jersey consistently rank high against other state salaries. Compared to the other 49 states, the average teacher salary in New Jersey ranked fourth in the nation in 2007 and 2008, before falling to fifth in 2009.

Consistent but steady growth in teaching salaries in New Jersey may explain the decline in national rank, but promise continued growth. The percent change in teacher salaries New Jersey grew 1.05% from 2007-2008 and 4.01% from 2008-2009, resulting in a 5.11% growth over two years.

The past growth in the typical teacher salary in New Jersey can be seen in the following New Jersey teacher salary schedule:"
not sure how credible the site is but the site is www.teacherssalaryinfo.com

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

Zero for his insurance but your comparing one to hundreds...shouldn't we all get free healthcare with the same levels of service? We should but that would bankrupt states..

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
On the video:

I think some fair points were made by the Gov. and to say otherwise seems to be less than truthful. Times are tough for everyone, but the last group most people feel sorry for is government employees. Their pay and benefits, generally, outweigh a fair portion of the American public, including myself.

As to the Union, etc: The entire discussion has gotten disgusting and I find most people speak about the resulting problems from a bad system rather than talking solutions. Sometimes the best method is to move to a new system and throw out the old, unions and all.

We need to address the issue of education reform or education revolution on the State level and get back to the State's rights elements rather than suckling at the tit of the Federal Government when poor choices are compounded by inaction.

Peace
KJ

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

I would also like to add that our Former Democratic Governor Mr. Corzine was the Main Contributor to our present Financial Crisis by pandering to Union Demands in exchange for their Votes . Nothing new here I guess , it happens All the time , Right ?

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

He isn't fat yet. But he can put his money where his mouth is. Take a pay cut. Like most Americans. Tighten the belt. Most states are in the red.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
inforeal, couldn't agree more. Christie, like most Republicans in office, tells people to tighten the belt, make sacrifices, etc. and then gives people in NJ that make over $400,000 a tax cut that will end up costing NJ a billion dollars. He's just another phony politician as far as I'm concerned.

chris, 58K a year is a lot for some people (myself included), which is pretty sad since 58K in America these days isn't very much money. I've read that when you adjust for inflation and cost of living in America today, the average salary SHOULD be around 70K (which sounds about right), instead the actual average salary is around 40-45K. And that's what I find disturbing when people are attacking teachers for somehow being "greedy" (how exactly?), instead of asking why the average person's salary has been stagnant for years. It's like people are pissed off that someone is making 10-20K more than they are, instead of wondering why the hell their employer is screwing them financially.

I'd also wager to guess that the cost of living in NJ is higher than a lot of states in this country.

Who's in a better position financially to make a sacrifice, someone making 58K (which isn't a lot in 2011) or someone making over 400K?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by origamiandurbanism

Well I would like to see what the average income is for the majority of people and it's not going to be that high. Keep in mind that many of them may have additional summer jobs..

with respect to average income should a target entry level position that makes 28,000.00 and has so since its inception make...you can't say that the average income should be around 70,000 now adays simply because 100 years from now you're not going to say the average income should be 150,000.00.
edit on 7-4-2011 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join