It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drinkings and doing drugs to make friends

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
To me, it seems as if this is the only way to make guy friends at my college.

You guys think it's worth it?

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
At my college it's all those things and sports. But I'm sorry, I just don't follow sports as much as these people do. I was overhearing a conversation the other day and 2 guys must have switched between like 4 different sports, talking about scores and stats. I don't get it, man. And all the girls seem detached. Usually constantly texting or talking on their phones. Makes most of them damn near irreproachable.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

Dude. College is not going to be the rest of your life, take it easy.

If you have no friends or few friends, so what? don't sweat it bro. You're all going to go your separate ways in a few years anyways.

I don't advocate any drug use but believe you me, I am far from straight edge.

What I do advocate is personal freedom. Freedom of choice and freedom of expression.

I suggest focusing on your schoolwork (cause it will actually pay off in the end if you give it your all) chillin', and scopin out da scene for a lovely little lady

peace

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Well there other ways for the girls to be popular. Lol

But yeah, if you don't drink or use something, your the outcast. When I was in school it was usually just smoking weed and drinking, these days though kids go to the extreme to get high.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by RadarMan
At my college it's all those things and sports. But I'm sorry, I just don't follow sports as much as these people do. I was overhearing a conversation the other day and 2 guys must have switched between like 4 different sports, talking about scores and stats. I don't get it, man. And all the girls seem detached. Usually constantly texting or talking on their phones. Makes most of them damn near irreproachable.

Um, "irreproachable" means "beyond criticism, faultless." Perhaps you meant "unapproachable" which is unwelcoming, remote, and unfriendly. I wouldn't mention it, but you're in college. Hopefully you'll know the language by the time you graduate.

To the OP's subject. I'm sorry, but it is not worth it. Stay focused on getting yourself a good education that can help you in your life and don't let the immaturity of others get in your way. This is where you get to show your character and stay above the fray. I wish I had, but there are no do-overs. You get one chance to do it right, and if you do, you will be buying yourself a LOT more personal freedom for the future han if you screw this up.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Heres a tip: dont make guy friends. I just finished my 3rd year in college in an art program. I have 1 guy friend and hes my roommate. well i have guy friends but no close ones, i prefer the company of chicks. i cant have an interesting conversation with a guy who thinks watching the 3 hour loop on ESPN is entertaining.

if a chick is on her cell phone or texting when you approach, it means: dont talk to me.

all you need is confidence, you dont need to drink or play sports or do drugs to make friends. although i do numbers 1 and 3 alot - but i am an art student. i couldnt tell you who won the last world series, or who just knocked out who in the last UFC event, but i have no troubles making friends.

just dont be weird, no matter what your into you'll find friends. maybe its different in the US, im canadian.

i dunno. i guess im not friends with those types because i look down upon them, so blinded. i wear what i wanna wear and talk to who i want to talk to.

whats your area of study? cause thats probably the problem.
if i sat in on something like engineering, mechanic, police foundations, i wouldnt make any friends either - because i would have nothing in common with them.

trust me, make friends with chicks, id rather have a conversation with a chick then with a guy. i dont need acceptance from males, i am my own man, and the chicks love it.

find your style.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Lasting friendships are not formed with drugs and alcohol.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
This is where you get to show your character and stay above the fray. I wish I had, but there are no do-overs. You get one chance to do it right, and if you do, you will be buying yourself a LOT more personal freedom for the future han if you screw this up.

right there with ya schuyler

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Only if you want to mingle with that crowd - If you dont 'want' to do those things to socialize, then find a group which you enjoy that doesnt revolve around it. Generally that means finding something academically stimulating or skillfully demanding.

Join clubs in the area that appeal to you, if you dont mind having a beer here and there or being in the bar atmosphere it will be easier to find peers, but hey, no worries. Otherwise order soda water with lime, looks just like a gin and tonic.

Binge drinking and self medicating with recreational drugs to laugh at the stresses of life is a HUGE time investment for our fellow male peers, especially in this age group.

But remember that its not everyone - Just those in plain sight.

Look around, do not despair.

-GM

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by esqONE

I agree.

Do what he said.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

If you entertain Evil then pretty soon you'll be dancing with the devil.

Dont worry im not getting all religious on you im simply saying. Do what is in your heart and you'll atract like minded people. From their great friendships will blossom.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gradius Maximus

Join clubs in the area that appeal to you, if you dont mind having a beer here and there or being in the bar atmosphere it will be easier to find peers, but hey, no worries. Otherwise order soda water with lime, looks just like a gin and tonic.

or, even better bro.

ask the bartender if he has any mint sprigs (spearmint leaves)

they usually keep them at nicer spots for mojitos

order ginger ale with 4 dashes of bitters and a sprig of mint.

it looks better than a gin and tonic and tastes %$@kin awesome.

peace

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Talk about what you're interested in. I have actually been challenged to a fight at a party when some drunk guy (who had battery charges from earlier in the week) got angry because me and some people I met "wouldn't shut up about politics or religion or whatever, man". He realized that it would of been 3 on 1, and that we were laughing at him, and he disappeared.
You don't have to do anything to make friends except be yourself and be confident, and perhaps a little bit crazy. If you do decide to drink or do drugs make sure to not make it a dependency. Good luck.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I wouldnt worry about becoming addicted. just know not think, KNOW how headstrong you are. if you are the addictive type, have a few drinks and wait for the weekend, if you realize your drinking during the week, make yourself stop.

as for drugs, i cant say anything. i am a stoner, although I havent been lit in approx' 3 months. realized it was time for a break when i didnt know if it was monday or thursday. its the end of the term and i still havent memorized my schedule hahha.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonegurkha
Lasting friendships are not formed with drugs and alcohol.

I dunno man. Mary Jane is my # buddy.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Drugs and Drinks will change you and you may not like the new you .

Stay away from drinks & drugs as long as possible .

If you want friends then make dealing with earth and soil as your number one hobby.

Friends will soon appear from nowhere , I can assure you .

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Not worth it at all, what ''friend'' will give you some thing that is bad for you?

You're not really going to befriend the person if all they hang out for is drugs.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Probably not the only way!

But then again. . .

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by heyJude

You have a shallow "buddy" Is she gonna have your back when you need it. Or will she betray you when you least expect it?

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
To me, it seems as if this is the only way to make guy friends at my college.

You guys think it's worth it?

It's better to have a few real friends, than a dozen fake friends. Do what you think is right...and who sais you have

to do drugs and drink...if you don't want to then don't. Stick to your guns and ppl will respect you.
edit on 6-4-2011 by dude69 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join