It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nocturnal Panic Attacks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
This morning I woke up with a really intense sensation of dread. It's quite hard to explain, but I believe that it is a sort of nocturnal panic attack. Although I do not feel shortness of breath when it happens, I sometimes have the chills, wake up in a cold sweat and always have the same horrible ominous feeling of (for lack of a better word) dread. I used to have these a lot, however have not for a while. The earliest I can recall having one was when I was quite young, maybe 8-10 years old. Then it probably started again more regularly when I was around 18-19 and I have had another one now 3 years later. I usually have to get up, walk around and calm myself down before going back to bed again.

These incidents are not preceded by a nightmare, sometimes by a surreal dream but usually before the dream phase even begins.

I was wondering:

a) has anyone else had any similar experiences, to differing degrees?

and

b) is anyone aware of what specifically may be causing this (I welcome both scientific and spiritual interpretations)?

Some of my research indicates that a bad sleep pattern may be responsible, but I cannot help but feel that there must be some sort of psychological influences upon these incidents.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Yes. I have had this and I know other people who have. Panic attacks generally happen when you are relaxed or are trying to relax. When the subconscious has more control. Issues that you aren't dealing with during your awake time present themselves at night. This is your brains way of saying, "Hey, there is a problem you are trying to ignore, it needs to be faced."

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

That's the weird thing, when I had them between the ages of 18 and 19, I was aware that I had certain issues that needed to be faced. Therefore, it made a bit more sense for this sort of thing to arise. However, to my knowledge I have since resolved these and any issues since. Is it possible that I am in fact, unaware of both the nature and magnitude of some of the concerns that I may have embedded in my subconscious mind?

Edit: If this is the case, I do in fact appreciate what a powerful wake up call these incidents may be. However, I would rather face anything that needs to be faced and not have to face these at all - as I'm sure you're aware, it is a horrible thing to go through even if it only lasts 10 minutes!
edit on 6-4-2011 by arollingstone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Maybe its low blood sugar.

I used to get something close to a anxiety attack in the middle of the night if i didnt eat enough that day. usually getting up and making a piece of toast is enough for it to pass.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
First my brother had this ages ago, and I could hear his gasp when he awoke.
Now I have it too, which suggests it might be genetic.
However, I think it is a wider symptom of post-traumatic stress.

As far as a "spiritual" explanation goes, my brother went to the Theosophical Society, and they told him that anybody who messes with astral projection exercises in an unprofessional manner will get these anxiety attacks before sleep.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Usually it means that you have been fighting battles in the astral world.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I have only just started having these, despite regular meditation sessions. It's quite simply a change in the energies and will pass. We are sensing approaching energy flows that will manifest in events shortly. Consider it a preview.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by arollingstone

I'm actually getting treatment for this. You are welcome to ask me anything and I'll do my best to answer.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
First my brother had this ages ago, and I could hear his gasp when he awoke.
Now I have it too, which suggests it might be genetic.
However, I think it is a wider symptom of post-traumatic stress.

As far as a "spiritual" explanation goes, my brother went to the Theosophical Society, and they told him that anybody who messes with astral projection exercises in an unprofessional manner will get these anxiety attacks before sleep.

If you are waking up suddenly and gasping for air then you may want to see your physician and ask to have a TEE, or transesophogeal echo, as this is one of the symptoms of a bad valve in your heart. Not saying that's definitely what it is, but it can't hurt to rule it out.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by arollingstone
These incidents are not preceded by a nightmare, sometimes by a surreal dream but usually before the dream phase even begins.
My best guess would be that it could be sleep paralysis - a natural phase that happens shortly before you start dreaming - which can be scary at times, when you are conscious and aware of it happening. Nevertheless, I'm not an expert, so that's just an interpretation.

If you want a spiritual interpretation, it could be that negative entities try to provoke negative thoughts within you to scare you and "feed off" the energy response. But that's just an interpretation and I'm sure many will disagree or have more scientifially based ideas, so take it for what it's worth.

Something that helped me personally to avoid negative thoughts and fear before going to bed is a "white light protection meditation" and it works like a charm, at least for me, but I never had really panic attacks, I guess. I'm using the following white light meditation, which comes from a member here on ATS (Tayesin):

www.simply-spirit.com/white_light.php

also some more info about "negative entities":
www.simply-spirit.com/darkside_and_negs.php

Hope that helps for you as well!

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Do you have anything major happening in your life? Causing a lot of stress?

It's common in children, my little brother gets these now and then, he's 6, mainly it is just caused by stress.

top topics

join