It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fif 58 World Cup Didn't Happen consipracy Hoax Film

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I just stumbled accross this by accident and wondered if anyone else had seen this. Here is the wikipedia explaination (even though I know its not a reliable source etc) but thats where I cam accross it. Its a film called conspiracy 58 which presents evidence claiming the 1958 world cup in Sweden never reallyt happened, days after release it was revealed that it was ment to be a hoax aimed at studying how information can be used. I thought that it was a very interesting idea, reminded me a bit of the amazingly funnt tv series from over here called 'Brasseye' which is a fake crimewatch/moral panic show where celebrities are tricked into thinking things like a new killer drug named cake is killing all our teenagers or that 'heavy electricity' is destroying property and killing people by leaping out of electrical lines.

Anytway here is 58 info;

Conspiracy 58 (Swedish: Konspiration 58 or KSP58) is a Swedish mockumentary from 2002, made by producers from the national public service, which claims that the 1958 FIFA World Cup in Sweden didn't really take place, but was staged as a television and radio event between American and Swedish Television, the CIA and FIFA as part of a Cold War strategy. It is claimed that Sweden did not have the economic or technical resources to promote such an event. The main reason for the Americans' involvement, according to the theory, was to find out if propaganda on television had any influence on viewers and if such methods could be used as political weapons.

A large amount of evidence was presented. For example, there was analysis of television recordings at the matches, where houses can be seen in the backgrounds that never actually stood there. The programme also analyzed how the shadows of the players in the field were falling, and were angled in a way that is not possible in Sweden if you study the position of the sun at the time. The Chairman of the association, Bror Jacques de Wærn, who was employed in the Swedish National Agency for more than twenty years, claims that he has looked for evidence that the tournament really took place, but didn't find anything.

After the end of the film it was revealed that it was a hoax. Despite this, many people still believed in it, as the hoax was not revealed in the film itself. It took several days until the newspapers actually announced it was all made up by the producers. The film was reported by Swedish viewers to the Swedish Broadcasting Commission numerous times, but it was declared that the broadcaster did not violate ethical rules.[1]

The aim of the movie, according to the director Johan Löfstedt, was to illustrate how historical denial (in particular Holocaust denial) works and to highlight the importance of source criticism when getting information from, for example, the media.[1]

The majority of the characters in the film are real celebrities who were playing themselves.
edit on 6-4-2011 by clintdelicious because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Very cool. I am a huge football fan (just finished watch Man U and Chelsea in the Champions League) and I never heard of this. I'll have to give it a gander it sounds very interesting. Thanks for bringing it up.

That is all

Trowa

edit on 6/4/11 by TrowaBarton because: Called football soccer

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by clintdelicious

Can you post a link to this film?

I'm surprised we don't make one every four years to explain why we don't win.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrowaBarton
Very cool. I am a huge soccer fan...

Football, my friend. Football.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
As an Avid FIFA watcher, I'm shocked if this is true.... Wonder if the USA 1 - 0 England win was a farce too 1950 World Cup

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

Sorry I'll edit my above post.
. I played simultaneously both in high school so I had to watch calling soccer football in the American football locker room or to the players/coaches. I was the kicker they would've killed me.

That is all

edit on 6/4/11 by TrowaBarton because: To add content

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by clintdelicious

The aim of the movie, according to the director Johan Löfstedt, was to illustrate how historical denial (in particular Holocaust denial) works and to highlight the importance of source criticism when getting information from, for example, the media.[1]

So... Was it a way to see if television could be used as a "weapon", or a Zionist plan to indoctrinate, pick up info to push further their agenda? Why not talk about the denial of the Armenian Genocide?

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by FoxStriker

Lol its a deliberate hoax mate. Do you really think they could fake the world cup? thousands of people who payed for tickets to watch the game all involved?!? Its done to show how media can be used

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by BritofTexas

Sorry I havent even seen it myself so im not sure if you can torrent it etc or not.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Let me be the first to Call B/S.

My uncle Tommy Casey played in 2 of Northern Irelands 5 matches in that world cup, Trust me, he gave me all the stories & showed my many photos as I was growing up, He often talked about their game v the germans & the quater final game loss to France, it was his greatest achievement playing in the 58 WC & until he died a few years ago he always talked about that world cup. i must try to get hold of some of his memoribilla, anyways total BullS@%t

join