It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it just me or do they over-dramatize this stuff...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

A meteorite discovered in Antarctica in 1969 has just divulged a modern secret: a new mineral, now called Wassonite. The new mineral found in the 4.5-billion-year-old meteorite was tiny — less than one-hundredth as wide as a human hair. Still, that was enough to excite the researchers who announced the discovery Tuesday (April 5). "Wassonite is a mineral formed from only two elements, sulfur and titanium, yet it possesses a unique crystal structure that has not been previously observed in nature," NASA space scientist Keiko Nakamura-Messenger said in a statement. The mineral's name, approved by the International Mineralogical Association, honors John T. Wasson, a UCLA professor known for his achievements across a broad swath of meteorite and impact research. Read more: www.foxnews.com...

Source

I see this stuff and think, "why do you make such a big deal out of nothing? We have what many believe to be genuine alien spacecraft zooming through our skies every day. I think it's safe to say we know there is life elsewhere". I don't know, this kind of thing, to me, is just so vastly overstated and over-dramatized, like they've discovered there's snow in Alaska.

If they're really geeked up about finding an "element that doesn't appear in nature" all they have to do is look at the composition of the implants removed from people, but no, that doesn't interest them. I mean, we're bouncing a billion watts of RF off our atmosphere, causing untold damage and NASA is ready to wet themselves over something that will likely prove to be virtually useless. They always seem to make these insignificant, minute discoveries and 5 years down the road, nothing has come of them other than millions of dollars spent by a bunch of tax payer-funded geeks "ooh'ing and ah'ing in a microscope". The truth is, what they found might be rare on earth but not so rare "out there". So they have something that probably would get $100 in a pawn shop, so now what? Bragging rights? Or more covert technologies, at our expense, for military and "big brother" weapons of population control.

Sorry, I just seem to remember a decade ago they "found evidence of possible ice crystals on mars that may indicate the possibility of life...". Yea? So? And then? The universe goes on to infinity...I'm pretty sure there's life out there and you spent how many millions of dollars to tell us this useless piece of info? Sigh.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by General.Lee

allready a link on this subject here it is www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by pcrobotwolf

Actually, I had the original thread to this which is here.

And no, I don't think it's being over-dramatized. The problem with them reporting about aliens is that most of the evidence is faked.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Its not an "element that doesn't appear in nature."

a) Its not an element. Its a mineral made up of a compound of the elements sulpher and titanium.

b) It does appear in nature. They just found it.

Why are you getting your knickers in a twist about this? Its scientific advancement. Got to be a good thing.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by MiTS1965

Its not an "element that doesn't appear in nature."

a) Its not an element. Its a mineral made up of a compound of the elements sulpher and titanium.

b) It does appear in nature. They just found it.

Why are you getting your knickers in a twist about this? Its scientific advancement. Got to be a good thing.

Perhaps if they would tell us what makes it significant, I might find it, well, significant. If they went on to say, "this could be the building block of time travel" or something, great! But to essentially say, "we spend millions and millions of dollars over the last decade and this is our big find! We have no idea what good it is but, well, we FOUND it!", is just insane. I'm all about science, but they could have published a microscopic picture of a booger and made up a bunch of techie sounding garbage and people would eat it up. Face it, 99% of the people reading it have absolutely no idea what they're reading and NASA knows it. Fox News isn't exactly a science trade journal. The link to the original post has a couple stars and a flag or two with about 4 responses that say, "cool, good find!". Really? Why is it cool? And what makes it a good find? It was on the front page of Fox News.

In short, when somebody can show me why something this useless is significant from a technology standpoint, and document it in layman's terms, then I'll get excited. Meanwhile, we have implants being surgically removed from people, containing compounds that don't occur in nature and nobody will touch the story. So, I guess I get my underwear in a bunch because, to me, this kind of garbage is no different than the rest of the disinformation disseminated by the MSM.

new topics

top topics

join