It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to disable Geo-Location in Specific Programs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

How to disable Geo-Location in Specific Programs

no-geolocation.blogspot.com

Geolocation is a rather secret feature of some browsers and toolbars. It allows the creator of that program to get a fix on the location of your computer to within a few meters of where you actually live. For the potential dangers read the article from BBC News entitled 'Web attack knows where you live'
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 6-4-2011 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I put this thread in BAN because I feel it the most important forum for getting this information out than putting it in a less read forum. If my decision to do so is deemed inappropriate, please move it to where it is deemed most appropriate.

I followed the simple instructions and Google maps was not able to ascertain my location. While I may find this as a massive plus, you may not and may not wish to follow the instructions.

I am not a computer expert so would appreciate any feedback from those who are regarding what this "mod" truly does to assist with anonymity.

no-geolocation.blogspot.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Great information, thanks. I made the modifications.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

Well, disabling the geo-location might work if you do not want the programm to scan your location, HOWEVER if you visit a website they can track back your IP address and with that number easily locate the approximate location you are accessing the internet from. Disabling the geo-location just tells websites that are using this function (e.g. google maps, twitter, etc.) not to "scan" your approxmiate location.

If you really want to remain annonymous while browsing online, you should think about using a "proxy" or a "VPN" from a different location/city, although both of these privacy tools cost money. But it also should be noted that such a proxy or vpn wouldn't protect you if you did anything illegal on the web, as you could still be "tracked back." - but it provides higher annonymity.

Regardless, thanks for providing this information because it is very important and helpful!

Edit: I just noticed in the BBC article that hackers might also scan your MAC address, so a MAC address changer would be also helpful in that case - but I'm not a hacker, so don't take my word for granted, as I'm not really experienced on such a scenario.
edit on 6-4-2011 by SunLightyear because: addition

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Good post. S&F. I had already disabled my browser along time ago, but didn't think about Thunderbird. A side note on these mod's, you will probably need to restart the program to have the change take effect.

Thanks.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Out of all the paranoia to switch to firefox, internet explorer ironically is the safest. No geolocation built in so stalkers, criminals, or other baddies won't be coming to your door if you stayed with IE.
All you young turks who switched to Firefox have been sheepled, hahahaha.

edit on 6-4-2011 by TinfoilTP because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I find it funny when they say things like:

Firefox can tell websites where you’re located so you can find info that’s more relevant and more useful

(Source)

I don't know how accurate that may be on most cases, in my case it points to a building 250 metres from where I really am.

Thanks for the heads-up.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

S&F...

I figure the Authorities already have a map to my place, but some day I may move...thanks for the tip.

new topics

top topics

join