It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liquid Water Exists On Some COMETS!!! PROVEN

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Nasa has come out with new data from the Stardust Spacecrafts samples that Liquid water was present on this comet. This is great news for the theory that life can exists not just on Earth but in many places in the universe perhaps even comets? In forms of microbial life of course.

So i ask you do you believe life can exist on comets if liquid water is present on them? I sure do i believe its a possibility at-least.

Mark 1 up for the life is abundant in the universe theory.

Even the Nasa scientist state in the article they previously though this was impossible for liquid water to exists on comets.

www.space.com...

edit on 6-4-2011 by XRaDiiX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Well definitely anyone who can think with an open mind will know that it would be foolish to assume that only Earth has all the elements it has & is the only planet to sustain life.

What is interesting to note though, is the fact that NASA is coming out with new news regularly about extra terrestrial life & support to such life.

Very exciting times indeed

Good pick

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I'm just wondering when we will finally have full disclosure. We say there is no life on Mars. Well, wasn't Mars at one time very similiar to Earth? Why couldn't people be living in the mountains like we would be if something were to happen to Earth? That whole "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" may very well hold true afterall.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Most of a comet's journey is in the icy depths, it didn't imply that the comet had a warm surface, it said;

"When the ice melted on Wild 2, the resulting warm water dissolved minerals that were present at the time and precipitated the iron and copper sulfide minerals we observed in our study,”

It also said that the spacecraft could have been heated by, well, being bombarded by all of that stuff flying off of the comet being heated by the sun, called a comet tail. I've followed that Stardust mission and find it extraordinary without making stuff up about it, especially the part of the mission that detects organic compound traces. That doesn't mean a happy alien community living on comets. It means the seed of life originate from stardust. We already knew that but this was actual proof.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
We will never see full disclosure but if my mind serves me correctly a few years back scientists all stated that the only way life could be found outside of earth was if there was water available. At that point in time we never proved water to be outside of earth anywhere. Now that we found water all over the place, the conversation just died for some reason
. They know more than what they are all saying about life outside of earth, I just know it and have that gut feeling.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

How Convenient you left out this little part in your view on the matter.

The sulfide minerals formed between 50 and 200 degrees Celsius [122 and 392 degrees Fahrenheit], much warmer than the sub-zero temperatures predicted for the interior of a comet."

Big Point Here Interior Of Said COMET

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
It has been known since we first launched satellites that could detect hydrogen gas in space that comets probably contained water and actually for over a hundred years had been figured to be the reason for the formation of the comas. No great revelation there. Except the twists and turns of fickle Science that got smug enough at one point not to believe that water existed out there anywhere.

Then we started hearing about huge clouds of water out there. That the Earth maybe got its supply by sailing through one of those rare formations, taking a virtual bath. Currently it is figured that Earth got its supply from billions of wet comets. --Not bothering to really explain where their water came from.

Anyway, there are other wilder suspicions. Mine for instance. We know that UFOs have a fond appreciation for sucking up water and even diving into it. We know that comet start spewing their comas really long before it should be necessary by pure sublimation to start. Might it be that the UFOs collect our water, haul it to comet bodies and the bodies then utilize that water to produce their temmporary protective shields of radiation as they approach the Sun? NO? Research comets in depth--beyond what you are told today--and you may wonder just wonder about that hypothesis or come up with one of your own.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

This Article points out that liquid water can exist on comets sometimes.

You're point is that water exist in any form on comets such as water in the form of Ice( We've already known that for a long time as you pointed out )

Thats a different argument altogether my friend. We are talking about proof here of liquid water actually existing on the surface/interior of a comet

Proving that this article is a new revelation because this is the first hard evidence that water can exist on comets in liquid form.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by XRaDiiX

You're point is that water exist in any form on comets such as water in the form of Ice( We've already known that for a long time as you pointed out )
No, this is not something anyone "knew" at any time but something a lot of people have speculated about. What we "know" is that comets are almost completely devoid of water in any form. There is much evidence from previous missions to several comets that have shown that water is not easy to find and on some comets is totally absent.

The whole idea that comets are dirty snowballs is complete fiction. I have found this fact to be very interesting since many scientists hang onto the dirty snowball fantasy despite of all of the empirical evidence to the contrary.

When the ice melted on Wild 2, the resulting warm water dissolved minerals that were present at the time and precipitated the iron and copper sulfide minerals we observed in our study,” Lauretta said. “The sulfide minerals formed between 50 and 200 degrees Celsius [122 and 392 degrees Fahrenheit], much warmer than the sub-zero temperatures predicted for the interior of a comet.
Stop to think here for a minute. Could it be possible that these sulfide materials formed somewhere before the comet itself formed? Does this evidence prove that comets currently have water on them or is it simply proof that water was present when these sulfides formed? I'm just saying that the current accepted definition of comets as dirty snowballs that originated in the outer solar system is completely wrong so this a priori of water forming these sulfides on comets might also be incorrect.

Oh and by the way, I'm all for the Pamspermia theory. I think it is very possible that comets and asteroids can harbor micro-biological life and deliver them from their source through space to Earth. Keep in mind that at one time, not long ago, this theory was though to be absurd by the scientific community.
edit on 4/6/2011 by Devino because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Devino

Wrong when looking at images of comets through spectrometers it is easily discernible whether the comet has ice/water in whatever form emitting from it.

You're statement is completely bunk. Take a look here Study Comets. Also the Oort Cloud notified on wikipedia where the comets originate from mostly; Oort cloud is stated as a Spherical cloud of icy bodies in the outer solar system.

And you dare to say we never knew comets had any form of ice/water ? You're statement is wrong in many ways.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Devino

Oh and by the way, I'm all for the Pamspermia theory. I think it is very possible that comets and asteroids can harbor micro-biological life and deliver them from their source through space to Earth. Keep in mind that at one time, not long ago, this theory was though to be absurd by the scientific community.

I can at-least agree with you on this statement.

Also believe it to be true. From what i know Hydrogen is an element of water and so is oxygen and both happen to be common elements in our universe; therefore i think its safe to say many bodies in the Solar system and/or Universe have a good chance of ice/water forming on them

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by XRaDiiX

No I am not wrong. I have done a lot of research in the past here on ATS and have sited many sources about this fact that comets are almost completely devoid of water in any form at least on their surface and in the case of Temple 1 below the surface as well. My sources were NASA, JPL and ESA missions to comets like Wild 2, Borrelly, Haley and Temple 1. Wild 2, btw, has been the only one that has returned physical samples.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I previously posted on the thread, Question on comets, where I replied Here.

Prior to that I did some research for the question asked on the thread, Was the Planet Venus a Comet? and my replies to that thread can be found starting on Page 3 Here.

I was shocked to find this information and still am. It is not something I decided to make up but is evidence that was deduced from NASA's own missions, amongst others. The dirty snowball theory just won't die even despite the evidence.

I thought I would add a little video.

And a link to some videos made by ATS member mnemeth.
www.youtube.com...
edit on 4/6/2011 by Devino because: added video

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Devino

I see you ignore the fact the Oort cloud composes of mostly icy bodies proven through spectrometer analysis and the fact that when observing several comets through spectrometer analysis we can see water via sublimation dissipating from said comets.

The only reason we have not much evidence of water is because so far we only have 2-3 comets that have had samples taken from the comets vicinity. So to go and say the Snowball theory is bunk is to be ignorant at the least.

There is much evidence that proves water is present in a form ice/water and this is evidence right here striking you in the face you refuse to believe.

So you become angry because i bring forward evidence from site space.com that proves some comets do have Ice in liquid form even present and you refuse to believe it because of some sort of religious zealot crusade against dirty snowball theory.

Makes one think

Deny Ignorance

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by XRaDiiX

I believe they mean the interior of the comet's coma, visible coma (a thin, fuzzy, temporary atmosphere) and sometimes also a tail. The spacecraft wasn't equipped to drill deep into the solid mass of the body, you've mistaken syntax. Do you really think think the thing drilled more than a few centimeters into a comet?

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by XRaDiiX

So you become angry because i bring forward evidence
I am not the least bit angry. I do however find your ridicule annoying. I actually find this thread interesting. I did spend quit some time reading about comets over the past few years.

I see you ignore the fact the Oort cloud composes of mostly icy bodies
Care to prove the Oort cloud as fact? Or didn't you know that this is still just a theory?

The Oort cloud is a hypothesized spherical cloud of comets which may lie roughly 50,000 AU,
en.wikipedia.org...

How about showing proof that the Oort cloud is comprised of mostly icy bodies?

Don't state theories and speculation as facts then ridicule me for replying with statements based on actual recorded evidence (observed and physical).

and the fact that when observing several comets through spectrometer analysis we can see water via sublimation dissipating from said comets.
I am not ignoring these observations, I am complimenting them. You might want to take the time to look over some of the links I previously posted. The videos I linked from mnemeth are particularly relevant in this case.

There is much evidence that proves water is present in a form ice/water
I would love to look over this evidence but it seems to not be available. Care to help me out here? I know your original article and this post is about this supposed evidence but I still remain skeptical. Care to address my earlier question regarding this evidence?

So to go and say the Snowball theory is bunk is to be ignorant at the least.
So tell me, where did the "snowball" theory originate from? Care to show any evidence supporting this theory? The reason spectrometers are showing signs of HO does not mean there is water on these observed comets. I am not making the claim that water does not exist on comets, the evidence collected by NSA, JPL, ESA and others is showing that. I am merely pointing it out.

you refuse to believe it because of some sort of religious zealot crusade against dirty snowball theory.
That comment is just plain odd. I don't take science religiously nor do I go on zealot crusades. I find this a bit insulting though.
edit on 4/6/2011 by Devino because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Devino

I'm not going to go into the annals of how and what not comets should have on them i will take what the article said and agree with that statement.

The study also reinforces the fact that comets are active, changeable bodies — and that each one is likely different.

On the matter of the Oort Cloud composition here you go

If analyses of comets are representative of the whole, the vast majority of Oort-cloud objects consist of various ices such as water, methane, ethane, carbon monoxide and hydrogen cyanide.[18] However, the discovery of the object 1996 PW, an asteroid in an orbit more typical of a long-period comet, suggests that the cloud may also be home to rocky objects.[19] Analysis of the carbon and nitrogen isotope ratios in both the Oort cloud and Jupiter-family comets shows little difference between the two, despite their vastly separate regions of origin. This suggests that both originated from the original protosolar cloud,[20] a conclusion also supported by studies of granular size in Oort cloud comets[21] and by the recent impact study of Jupiter-family comet Tempel 1.[22]

top topics

join