It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please take this advice: Be careful what you tell others.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+68 more 
posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
As in any subject relating to privacy, or personal property one must think about this.

Why would you tell people what you have/own?

I only say this from personal experience.
I haven't led anyone to believe that I have any supplies.
Yet, the other day, I was asked if my 'bomb' shelter was finished yet.
And no, I'm not building a shelter.
Mind you, I don't make a habit of talking about my preparedness.
At all.
Seems that people joke about what they know about you and ridicule follows.
So these conversations never come up with me anymore.
I've learned the hard way:
The less people suspect about you, the less they target you.

While posting almost anonymously here on ATS seems safe, I ask you this...
Who do you think of when you need to borrow something you don't have?
If you have little funds to purchase, you think of the people you know might have said item.
Friends, family, neighbors, etc...

So look at it this way, going out and calling yourself a 'Survivalist' or even mentioning you have stockpiled goods to others is a good way to pin a target on your home/persons. Definitely don't even think about telling a local news station any info either...If you boast about how much food you have or how big of cache you've amassed, remember one thing, there's always one person who doesn't have it, and jealousy is the killer of many people.

Just a little reminder to be mindful of where/how you store things.
Inform only those you truly trust to keep quiet about locations.
Even those you think you can trust might do some boasting in your name.
(it happened to me)

Even those who prepare have enemies.
For those who didn't prepare will prepare to take what they don't have.
From places they planned on from the start.

Even talking in public places has its 'ears'.
If a conversation starts up, let them be the first to disclose any information.
Never give up your location and always prepare for surprise visits.
All to often I see people bragging about what they have.
For me, and I'm no thief....it's easy pickins.

This is not paranoia.
This is survivalism.

Hope this tidbit helps.

edit on 6-4-2011 by havok because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

Such solid advice, but worth stating again and again.

And don't "look the part", if possible. I have an edge as a dress & skirt wearing blonde woman. I don't see anyone knocking my door down as a defensive option any time soon.

link   
Good advice there.

I bet even people who are 'really friendly ' now, would look at you in a different way, if they haven't eaten for 3 days, and know you have a decent stockpile.

I have some things in readiness that I don't tell anyone about.

Good post dude.

link   
reply to post by havok

While not a survivalist myself, I agree with what you are saying. I was made aware of one person's stockpile through a mutual friend, and always considered that conversation to be a betrayal of trust on his part. Further, I look at some of the postings on this site and shake my head. Really...folks prattle on about their armaments and goodies not once thinking that others could take note.

When it comes right down to it...what's easier than stockpiling? Knowing others who do!

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I completely agree. You never know who will start blabbing about what you have. Just plain bad news to discuss it outside your circle, because when the time comes, who will be the first person those that are unprepared think of going with?You. Especially if you have an underground shelter...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
disinformation goes a long way too.

you get to use your imagination, brag, make those around you think maybe they should be stockpiling too.

but at no risk to yourself.
edit on 6-4-2011 by RelentlessLurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

If you boast about how much food you have or how big of cache you've amassed, remember one thing, there's always one person who doesn't have it, and jealousy is the killer of many people.

Yep, jealousy can do a whole heck of alot of damage, alright. I have personal experience with that, I won't go into details but let's just say it was sabotage with financial implications, by a close, very close friend I've known for years. I've taught the kids never to talk about what we have, as well. Thank you for this post; you offer great advice.

S & F

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
If hungry people try coming into your perimeter they will always have some sort of weapon on them or something of use.

And if they were actually smart, they would stay away from you, not try to take from you. They would likely hit stores first, so when that is happening, it would be a good idea to barricade your dwelling or get the F out of there..

My point being, let them come, if they can stand a barrage of bullets...which i doubt..

So having some people try and come at your dwelling, may be a good thing, since you can keep what you kill...anything they bring is yours for trading with people that may need something you obtained...maybe shoes and clothes...for a can of food or two.

Having a few extra people with you would always be good too, a few extra sets of eyes and ears can make your survival.

You can also make figure 4 box traps, cheap and easy to make. For small rodents, birds, or something. It may be useful to know how to make them.

Just my thoughts..

edit on 6-4-2011 by Quickfix because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Hey I got free bullets for any would be loots coming round my place...
might have a few extras for them jackbooted gun grabbing thugs too

As for anything else of any real value... well your barking up the wrong tree at my place that's for sure

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
This is some of the best advice I have ever seen on here. S&F for your post my friend!

I am not a survivalist by nature but I know how to survive off the land and how to ration what goods I have if I should ever need to, but this advice is absolutely spot on

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Great points, and a sound message to put up here every so often, especially as newer posters happen along. It's heartening to see veteran posters here adding to suggestive threads such as "What weapons are you stockpiling", or "When SHTF where are you going to run to?" before anyone is too naive to answer. Similarly, it's nice to see threads removed after people have spilled their guts on-line and worn their hearts on their sleeves lol

Naive - Cambridge Dictionary

too willing to believe that someone is telling the truth, that people's intentions in general are good, or that life is simple and fair. People are often naive because they are young and/or have not had much experience of life

dictionary.cambridge.org...

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
All this is a little disappointing.

If and when the 'end' comes, surely the remaining survivors need to build a new world, without corporations and governments telling them how to live and what to think. This awakening can only come from within.

Killing people for trying to take your food seems a little bit like 'todays' thinking.

To really survive, people WILL need to come together and form communities based on mutual benefit. Share resources and skills to survive, not for profit or personal gain.

So I would say if someone comes to your home, hungry and scared, then shooting them is not the answer. Feeding them is. If they try and take by force, then fair enough, but be careful not to shoot and ask questions later!

To those that think that they cant share food because they will have less for themsleves - think again. One person provides resource to help grow more food and potentially has skills that you dont that can help you survive. On your own, eventually you will either die or be left out of the new life that others will build around you.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Excellent advice.

In the process of explaining to my family/friends to begin storing foods in the quantities that I have, it became readily apparent by their comments that they just figured they'd come to my place. It's too late for me to retract what I spoke to them so PLEASE don't make the mistake I did. They would rather buy a new flat screen TV than to dehydrate/can/vacuum seal the items that might be gone from the grocery shelves.

If things get bad enough, rest assured those who know what you have will show up if they are capable of doing so. They will also expect that you share your goods regardless of whether you warned them or instructed them of how to do so themselves.

I'm not looking forward to that day since I haven't prepared for that many people.

PS...Do NOT tell anyone that you have gold/silver either!!! You will become their survival plan rather than them doing it themselves. Live and learn...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
this thread is very worthy of a
star and flag

and rightfully given

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

Couldn't agree more!!!!!! I've always been secretive about what's in my home though, just common sense.

During the blizzard this past winter I bought a few extra cases of water, because there was plenty of warning that it was going to bad. After I returned from the store I carried in a case of water and one of kids did the same ( I left the rest in car....it was on sale so I had to buy a bunch, lol) anyway, one of the neighbors saw us and said something about they knew where to go when they ran out if we were snowed in. I very politely told him there was a sale and he had plenty of time to go to store himself....if he cared to.

I swore at myself of being so stupid, and at least they only saw the two, but that was enough for them to think they had a safe haven.

They don't, and don't expect your neighbors to let you sponge off them either. I had exactly enough, maybe a little extra, but for the members in my home, don't come knocking my door. But it was a nice reminder to be more careful.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
"All this is a little disappointing.
If and when the 'end' comes, surely the remaining survivors need to build a new world, without corporations and governments telling them how to live and what to think. This awakening can only come from within.
Killing people for trying to take your food seems a little bit like 'todays' thinking."
(quote from UKTruth)

noble sentiments, but in a serious situation you might have x amount of supplies, in late fall/winter, with no forseeable restock option. could you afford to share? remember, in a SERIOUS situation, you're looking at MONTHS of living off what you have. I would hate to turn someone away but would I have a choice?

edit on 6-4-2011 by works4dhs because: clarify

edit on 6-4-2011 by works4dhs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Dont let the police know you have any!
go beging for food...
the police will take it ALL.
so they can make shoure that every one gets some.
Ha! them at the top and there thugs
always get the most.
and give scraps to the rest.
and dont truest the church to.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
As daddybare mentioned, some will be ready for it.

Most of the users on ATS are well thoughout, intelligent people.
But people who are ignorant of their surroundings will be the most dangerous.

You see, its about surviving anything.
One key element is adaptation.
Like a poster said earlier, don't flaunt what will get you in trouble.

I'm not worried about who knows what at this point.
Most people won't even realize that store shelves will clear within the first few hours of an emergency.
Then the real chaos ensues.

If one thing we learn from Japan, it's how to stay calm.

We can get through it.

Ex

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
That is some very worthy advice.
I must admit though I haven't started and will have to provide
for 10 people and a newborn.
I need some advise on what are the top three things I will need
to make it through say, three days of chaos???
Thanks in advance !

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Great thread OP. Unfortunately, since I do have firearms in my house I feel compelled to inform the parents of my son's friends when they first come over to play. I think it's only fair that they know I keep weapons in my home but that they are secured in my safe, which only I have access to. I would hate for my son to tell one of his friends (and he does, he thinks it's 'awesome') and then their parents find out from their son. Some parents are probably against it and it's their right to keep their kid away if they so choose (although none have so far).

Besides, I believe that if TSHTF and people who are not well prepared become desperate enough to go after other people's supplies, they would probably bypass the home that has 'protection' in favor of the MANY that don't. I know I would.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join