It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US atom smasher may have found new force of nature

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daughter2

Originally posted by Fiberx
If it's the Higgs it will be insane. When you measure the subatomics they have no volume. They appear to be only a small packet of energy, yet they behave as if they have mass. It is the Higgs that is thought to give quarks and the like their mass... One needn't ponder long to dream up some major scientific and technological implications.
edit on 6-4-2011 by Fiberx because: (no reason given)

What would be the implications? Free energy? Time travel? I'm not exactly sure why this is so ground breaking?

I hope it turns out to be a " what isn't possible" type of discovery where our whole world is flipped on it's head and we need to all as a whole people , re-think everything we know and from this year on, ACTUALLY for the first time in about 300 years, advance as a Race of beings instead of being held back like always.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Scientists at west suburban Fermilab are abuzz today about a tiny hiccup in some experimental data. It could be nothing, or it could be a new force of nature.

Source: www.wbez.org...#

Looks like it could be something or nothing at all.

The results come from the lab’s Tevatron collider – due to shut down this year for lack of funding.

This quote makes me think it's more than likely nothing but I really do hope I eat my words.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
gravity is one of the weakest forces of nature.

it is however one of the most controlling.

the graviton has been one of the most elusive things to find.

so if its that maybe we can mess with gravity now.

travel implications could be huge.

maybe they will be able to figure out how people can fly. I was able to do it a few weeks back so I am actually ahead of them there.

i wonder did Ironman use this?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
interesting

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Was going to make a similar thread to this the other day. It seems like the LHC also has a new particle in its sights

LHC Locking In On New Elementary Particle

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I denied ignorance with my post, yet here is everyone feeding the ignorant beast with their ignorant post's.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
What they've discovered appears to be an unexpected excess of jets produced in specific particle collisions. This could indicate the existence of a hitherto unknown particle (although apparently certain models predict such a particle.)

The team was studying a known process whereby protons and antiprotons create two W bosons or a W and a Z boson. But, looking at collision products at energies between 120 billion and 160 billion electron volts, they found an excess in the jets of particles produced. This could be explained, they say, by a new particle similar to, but heavier than, the long-predicted Higgs boson.

In their paper, Fermilab scientist Dan Hooper and his colleagues suggest that the results could be explained by the interaction of a new particle - dubbed the Z' boson - with quarks, but not with electrons or muons.

The article says that there is a less than 1 percent chance of this being the result of an error in their modeling, but that they cannot rule that out at present.

www.tgdaily.com...

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
reply to post by boncho

A "New force of nature" is a bit bigger than a lake on a moon somewhere...

Of course I have to applaud them for not releasing the actual info yet.. They probably want to confirm it's validity first.

We still don't understand (the underlying details) of Quantum physics (only the effects) which do not fit in our current understanding of the forces of of nature, so don't be so surprised.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
guess they will name it Chuck Norris Particle..

seriously..hope this stuff will someday take us to the stars above

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Errrm... We have found a new force of nature..!! Although whilst playing with it we have inadvertently destroyed the Earth, Mankind and in fact, the entire universe, which will actually cease to exist in... 5, 4, 3, 2......

Well it'll probably go something like that anyway

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Griffo
Was going to make a similar thread to this the other day. It seems like the LHC also has a new particle in its sights

LHC Locking In On New Elementary Particle

I wish they would stop playing around, and get that LHC up to full power 'now'. Who needs another half-year at half-power? I'm anxious for that 'beyond standard model' paradigm-shift physics.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
So i missed the live stream for i couldn't find it last night.

Can anyone sum up what happened, besides saying they don't understand or clashing particles made unknown jets? Or is that about it?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

He's anal I mean being anal,

he's just trying to rag on someone don't entertain him.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo
Well, Newton, you had a good run, buddy... but now it's time to step aside and let the big boys play.

If he saw further, it was because he was standing on the shoulders of giants. The world of physics is a lot bigger than it was in Newton's day. Physicists today must feel like ants on the shoulders of giants.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I've seen this before..
It's the Deja Vu Particle.

Actually, I can't wait for more info...Something in a semi-layman's term explanation.'

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I find it interesting that this discovery coincides with their funding being slashed. However, the links to the LHC make me think of a couple scenarios.

It's possible that Firmilab is making something out of nothing in order to pique interest.

It's also possible that Firmilab either a.) stole or somehow obtained research from the LHC to run their own tests, or b.) collaborated with the LHC on this discovery.

Either way, progress being made in the scientific field is always a good thing. As was stated above, we only understand the reactions of quantum physics, and not the underlying principles of the field. Getting to the root of QP will help us immensely understand things like spirituality, space travel, and humanity-saving methods.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Aren't they shutting down Fermilab?

Could this be an attempt to maintain its relevance, and keep its doors open, in the face of the Large Hadron Collider?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Yes they shut it down this year and with this, they want just atract investments propably...

Also I add to gravity. The gravity is the only force in the universe which can pass thru all dimensions without changing its nature or value. If we think about multi-dimensional world a la String Theory.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Just read on Twitter, that profBrianCox (wonders of the universe) reckons that if this new particle pans out, it could spell the end of the standard model that we've been using in physics.
Which would tie in nicely with that thread the other day about waves and particles.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Hi does anyone know what time it would be in the UK when the announcement is made?

And does anyone have a link to where the information will first land...perhaps a live stream or something...

Thanks

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join