It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US atom smasher may have found new force of nature

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I dont like this Fermilab stuff at all, I think before they even started this experimetns they should think more about, what is going to happen if we get so deep. Waiting for more metaphysics analysing of the problem... Well its not their fault that pilosophy is stuck somewhere still with Socrates and simply not keep up enough, but this is dangerous stuff, since they claim is safe, but they dont know what they will find and what can happen.... This is a little strange for me.

The curent problem of moderb phys is that watching very very small particles using experiments or lab techniques will result in inacurate data, because "just watching the experiment will change the output", so they looking for a particle that can be watched "without harming", so they can see the "real think" ,but if this project will be succesfull, we will be able to get data about anything in our universe without "touching it" .. even human behaviour. And I cannot realy imagine our existence in such world...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Did you people not read the article? "The researchers agree that this is not the 'God Particle,' or the Higgs-boson".

"For more than a year physicists have been studying what appears to be a "bump" in the data from the Illinois-based Fermi lab, which operates the powerful particle accelerator, or atom-smasher, Tevatron...The US machine began its work in the mid 1980s, and is scheduled for shutdown later this year when its funding runs dry."
(www.physorg.com...)

It sounds to me like they found a "bump" in the data to get a little more funding. This thing is a dinosaur compared to the LHC. There is nothing they will find that the LHC already hasn't....

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
so this is something other than gravity or electromagnetism.

Maybe it's the glue that holds that holds molecules together?

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Have they announced anything yet? Said it would be webcast, anyone know the address?

~Winter~

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
started in mid 80s and there just now coming out with something just before there funding runs dry?

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Yes, it may be Fermilab's attempt to get more funding. The LHC can duplicate the tests if configured accordingly.

They haven't claimed a Higgs boson, just an example of unexplainable data. It does sound like a plea to "give us a bit more funding". I'll wait to see what MSM reports, and factor that in accordingly.

Scientifically, a 5th force changes casual physics AND quantum mechanics as we know them. We have been looking for a theory of everything for quite a while now, and we've been waiting for the Higgs to be discovered. A 5th force redefines all the theoretical models, (and mind you, GRAVITY is still just a theory, unproven) and while strong nuclear and weak nuclear are relatively understood, gravity and electromagnetism are still just theories. Don't fool yourself, the two biggest phenomenas that our world uses to function have the possibility to be uprooted by new discoveries. I would think TPTB would try to stifle such discoveries, as it would lead to a new paradigm as to how our multiverse functions. However, it's inevitable. This isn't me in my garage experimenting with a home-built quantum exchange device, it's people that have to account for what they do. They have heat on them, and have to produce results.

Okay, there are people who don't have degrees in physics or quantum mechanics. Let me try to put it into english.

Our bodies are made up of organs. Yes, the skin is an organ, and it's the largest one in the human body. Organs are made up of tissue, and tissue is made up of cells. Cells are made up of amino acids, and they are made up from elements. Elements are made from atoms. Atoms are made from protons, neutrons, and electrons, and PNEs are made from sub-atomic particles, and sub-atomic particles are made from, ugh, we haven't got that small yet. THAT is what this is all about. How SMALL can you get to explain reality? And when you do get that small, you can understand what makes up reality, and you can become God. Is that really why they call it the God-particle? Not really, it's just used to explain the gap in human knowledge about how we really understand reality.

The truth is still undetermined, but we as humans are, excuse the expression, "hell-bent" on finding answers. We'll figure it out someday.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
We wont be satisfied until we blow it all up

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I just wanted to add, after they break our bodies down into complex quantum interactions, does that mean we are just beings of energy?

Seriously?

THINK ABOUT IT.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
I just wanted to add, after they break our bodies down into complex quantum interactions, does that mean we are just beings of energy?

Seriously?

THINK ABOUT IT.

Is that a trick question???

Of COURSE we are beings of energy...

e=mc2

And we're all mass, therefore, we're just energy in a condensed state. That is, if you believe the equation...

TO ADD: If it is in fact a force, there are only 2 that would make any sense to us... the aether/ether, or the spirit/essence of life. What else could it possibly be? The opposite of gravity maybe?

~Namaste
edit on 6-4-2011 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Possibly Anti Matter? I certainly hope not.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by JerryB08

You know supposedly antimatter is created right over your head every time you experience a thunderstorm. (well, not 'right' over you head, but above you anyways)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Remember guys, this is Fermilab.

This is a government installation where government scientists work on government projects and god knows what else.

The "scientific" information flowing out of this facility is going to be some of the most carefully controlled information you will find anywhere. The chance that any information released from any facility of this type will contribute anything to the real and actual enlightenment of the human race is negligible.

If you are monitoring their press releases in an attempt to anticipate the latest ploy to distract us from what's really going on, then you might want to mention that when linking to their information.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   

edit on 7-4-2011 by l_e_cox because: double-post due to some sort of network slowdown...

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by l_e_cox

So if this is true, then they have an anti-matter weapon that has the power of a nuke but without the whole radiation concern?

And plus why keep a secret? The people have the right to know.

As well, who is the real enemy? Is it one tyrant 1000 miles away or is it the 1000s of tyrants one mile away?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

No I wasn't aware of that. I understood it to be essentially to be a black hole type thing but I am no well educated in this area. When are they having this "news" release? I suspect it's a bunch of hype to get re funded. Which I doubt there is any chance of. Even Obama s buddy at GE got cut off on the engine for the F35 strike fighter. There are a few other countries are also invested in it's development.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Winterpain

This seems to be the link to the webcast - Live stream link

The conference is supposed to be at 21:00 GMT.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
If it's not the Higgs or God particle I don't want to hear about it. Anyone else notice the "group" who has avatars and sigs of dog's? As if they are identifying themselves to other certain people within ATS. Or am I just paranoid?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluestones
reply to post by Winterpain

This seems to be the link to the webcast - Live stream link

The conference is supposed to be at 21:00 GMT.

Hmmm. According to the live stream page the conference should have been taking place on April 6th. They're linking to this PDF on the Fermilab website. It's far too technical for me to understand
maybe IT is the announcement?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Daughter2

They will probably just make some kooler weapons to blow each other up with. And keep us consuming oil till the wells are sucked dry, or we blow ourselves up with the kooler weapons. Whichever happens first. Yeah I am just oozing with optimism aren't I

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluestones
Hmmm. According to the live stream page the conference should have been taking place on April 6th. They're linking to this PDF on the Fermilab website. It's far too technical for me to understand
maybe IT is the announcement?

It is pretty much the announcement. They think there may be a new particle when there isn't predicted to be one at that mass. Look at the graphs on page 5 of the pdf there. That blue bump is a theoretical 140 GeV particle added into the model (red/green on right, red on left) which agrees OK with the OK amount of data, represented by the black dots (data points) with the vertical lines (error bars).

The task now is to get better data to better confirm this, and also find out what it is if it does indeed exist. That's where weird ideas like new forces of nature come in. I hope it's something exciting but in all likelihood it will be something mundane, something like that the current models do predict it, but we just didn't realize it at the time.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join