It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US atom smasher may have found new force of nature

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

US atom smasher may have found new force of nature

ca.news.yahoo.com

A spokeswoman from the US Department of Energy's Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, which operates the powerful particle accelerator Tevatron, said the results would be released at 2100 GMT but offered no further details.
(visit the link for the full news article)
I'll up date it at 03:00 CST after they make there announcement

edit on 6-4-2011 by FarBeyondDriven69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
US Department of Energy's Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory said the results would be released at 2100 GMT but offered no further details. So why would they put this out there with out all the info? I guess we will wait and see. I hope this hasn't been posted I searched but it always comes back error?!

ca.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Interesting. We'll have to keep a close eye on this.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
It's a pre-release media-release.

NASA does this all the time saying, "next week, major revelations on alien life"

A week later you find out they found some water on a moon somewhere...

Hope this one has more meat to it.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
WOW ! so they may have found a new elementary particle,if true it will turn everything upside down,sounds like they found the secrets of the God Particle.

edit on 6-4-2011 by snapperski because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

A "New force of nature" is a bit bigger than a lake on a moon somewhere...

Of course I have to applaud them for not releasing the actual info yet.. They probably want to confirm it's validity first.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
It is nice to hear such news, but actually, seeing how we can't even handle nuclear power, I wonder if it's wise to start playing with "a new force of nature". Even more if it is the "God Particle"...

I'm curious tho as what is this new force.
edit on 6-4-2011 by NowanKenubi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
S&F.

I really hope this has something to do with Higgs Boson and that they have perhaps discovered something enabling us to crack the secrets of mass and gravity.
I'm not gonna pretend that I understand half of the stuff I have read about string theory or particle physics but I do know that if indeed has something to do with Higgs Boson, it will have huge effects to the future of propulsion technology

Thank you for sharing, OP. I'm really excited!

IT--

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Their last find was the 'Bottom Omega Baryon' - made up of 2 strange quarks and a bottom quark (from Wiki). Not really sure what that is though

But a new force of nature? Wow! Actually quite excited about this
BRING ON 9 O'CLOCK!!
edit on 6/4/2011 by Fazza! because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Bob Lazar connected to it ?

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 6-4-2011 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Joe Lykken, a Fermilab particle theorist, said Dr. Punzi’s group would have four times as much data in an analysis later this year. “This would be enough to claim a definitive major discovery,” he wrote in an e-mail, “just as the Tevatron — and perhaps Fermilab itself — is being shut down for budget savings.”

NY Times Story Source

I suspect a bit of showboating to save their bacon. Wouldn't be the first time.

If they really did find something though I would be the first to admit I'm wrong, but frankly at that level most of us mortals have to take their words for it because understanding that data set takes decades of experience and education to match...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
If it's the Higgs it will be insane. When you measure the subatomics they have no volume. They appear to be only a small packet of energy, yet they behave as if they have mass. It is the Higgs that is thought to give quarks and the like their mass... One needn't ponder long to dream up some major scientific and technological implications.
edit on 6-4-2011 by Fiberx because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Fiberx

I thought quantum mechanics/theory already proved that matter and energy are different forms of the same thing. At least that matter behaves as energy sometimes?
Check the double slit experiment if you haven't already.

IT--

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Here is an update to the OP:

www.physorg.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I doubt they have found the Boson. From what I've read CERN is the only collider that is theoretically powerful enough to make such a discovery.

IRM

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Larryman

Here is an update to the OP: www.physorg.com...

Within that link is another link for live stream, it's pretty interesting talking about anti matter, neutrinos, etc

Fermilab Live Stream

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fiberx
If it's the Higgs it will be insane. When you measure the subatomics they have no volume. They appear to be only a small packet of energy, yet they behave as if they have mass. It is the Higgs that is thought to give quarks and the like their mass... One needn't ponder long to dream up some major scientific and technological implications.

While much remains a mystery, one thing researchers agree on is that this is something beyond the "God Particle," or the Higgs-boson, a hypothetical elementary particle which has long eluded physicists who believe it could explain why objects have mass.
"The Higgs-boson is a piece that goes into the puzzle that we already have," said Punzi. "Whereas this is something that goes a little bit beyond that -- a new interaction, a new force."

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Well, Newton, you had a good run, buddy... but now it's time to step aside and let the big boys play.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
This should be an interesting announcement. They say it is NOT the Higgs-Boson - it is something "beyond" that.

Source: Update on physorg.com

While much remains a mystery, one thing researchers agree on is that this is something beyond the "God Particle," or the Higgs-boson, a hypothetical elementary particle which has long eluded physicists who believe it could explain why objects have mass. "The Higgs-boson is a piece that goes into the puzzle that we already have," said Punzi. "Whereas this is something that goes a little bit beyond that -- a new interaction, a new force."

Assuming it is not a big PR announcement leading up to disappointment, this would seem to mean it could be an even bigger discovery that the much-anticipated discovery of the Higgs-boson. There are only four known forces they are likely referring to: electromagnetism, gravity, and the weak and strong nuclear forces. It sounds like they think this could mark the discovery of a fifth force.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fiberx

What would be the implications? Free energy? Time travel? I'm not exactly sure why this is so ground breaking?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join