It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange cloud cover

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Hubby and I were out shopping on Sunday and when we were walking to our car, I noticed an older couple standing by their car looking up at the sky. I looked up and saw the entire sky totally covered in clouds. It was total cloud cover as far as the eye could see. The lady said she'd never seen a sky like that before. I told her I hadn't either. I took some photos in the parking lot, and then a couple more at the next place we stopped at. I noticed several people looking up and commenting on the clouds.
Thought I would post them on here for everyone to see. This was in NW Ohio.

edit on 6-4-2011 by virraszto because: I can't remember how to show entire photo without the scrollbar.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Seen them in PGH,PA looked like one big cloud mass. Thing is some of the areas looked yellow or gold in tint.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Yes, it did look like one big cloud covering the whole sky. It was very odd.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Yeah that's kind of weird lol

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Kind of reminds me of Mamatus clouds but not quite. I see this kind of thing here in Vancouver a lot. Im no expert so I can't tell you exactly what this type of formation is but OZweatherman or Essan would know.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
They look like a form of Mammatus Clouds , but I'm no expert.

The clouds in your pics are quite common here in the UK .

Nice , detailed pics BTW

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by QBSneak000
Kind of reminds me of Mamatus clouds but not quite. I see this kind of thing here in Vancouver a lot. Im no expert so I can't tell you exactly what this type of formation is but OZweatherman or Essan would know.

Whoops....

You beat me to it lol

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
The first image made me think of the clouds in a flight simulator for some reason.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by gandalphthegrey

great minds think alike
2nd line

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
We get in it Britain occasionally. I often think of it as 'mamma-like' cloud and it does, likewise, indicate some instability in the atmosphere. It's a type of altostratus undulatus and in its more extreme form has recently been given the subspecies name asperatus:

www.meteorologynews.com...

And yes, when it covers the sky from horizon to horizon it does look quite strange and ominous! Expecially when photographed in HDR (as some of the pictures in the link above are).

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by gandalphthegrey

Yes those are mammatus clouds... Don't see them very often

2nd line

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
The cloud cover in Indiana has looked the same for the past few days. Last evening around dusk I was looking at the clouds from my window and they looked like those in your pictures, except there was one yellow V shaped cloud in there with them. I commented on this to my husband but he didn't come look. I would love to have been able to take a picture but my camera is crappy so I couldn't. It was really freaky looking, though. Never seen anything like it before.
Love your pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Nana

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

Whenever I've been describing days as overcast here in MD that's pretty much what the sky has looked on many such days, one massive ceiling of cloud. I'm not so sure about the shape of the clouds, though. Sometimes the ceiling of gray doesn't even look like it's made of clouds, it just looks like the normal blue of the sky has gone gray, because the coverage is so smooth. It has been almost claustrophobic at times, with such an oppressive cover overhead. I want to punch a hole in it and see some sky, somewhere.

So far the pattern of weather we've been getting since at least around February when I first started paying attention has been days of cover like this interspersed with clear sunny skies. And we get days with lots of harsh wind. The last year I can remember so much wind was part of 2004 going into 2005. And i believe I do note constant heavier than normal jet traffic, sunny or overcast, but that's been picking up since 2004, I think. I'm starting to polish my tinfoil hat because I'm starting to get one foot toward crossing the line of believing the chem trail chatter on ATS.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SheeplFlavoredAgain
I'm starting to polish my tinfoil hat because I'm starting to get one foot toward crossing the line of believing the chem trail chatter on ATS.

Careful!
You'll be blaming HAARP next

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I have seen those particular type of clouds in almost every state I have lived in. So far that is 9 states, the only one where I didn't was California. I have also seen those in Japan, Hong Kong, and out in the middle of the ocean. It happens every so often, normally precluding a very bad set of rain storms. That is what I have experienced.

They do look pretty though. I find all the different formations fascinating. Still looking forward to seeing the big saucer shaped clouds. Those are the only ones I haven't seen.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Attrei
Still looking forward to seeing the big saucer shaped clouds. Those are the only ones I haven't seen.

Lenticulars
We get small ones here, not uncommonly, but not the really impressive big ones.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Thats odd haha, looks like water in the sky. I have some pics on my cell of the same thing but in a random spot there was a huge hole and I could see the sky through it. Southern Ontario.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
" target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>reply to post by virraszto

" target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

Here are some pics I took of strange eye-like clouds last week in La Jolla, CA..reminds me a bit of your skies..

edit on 6-4-2011 by bastet11 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-4-2011 by bastet11 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join