It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researcher cites ancient Minoan-era 'computer'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Excellent find Slayer.
According to the article in The athens News it was determined that this object is presumed
to be a cast (casting) to build some other mechanism for some solar or luner function.There is no mention of the type of material this artifact is made of so I assume it would be some sort
of clay or sand or a mixture of both.Since this object is dated to the bronze age I also assume
that the mechanism was made of bronze. (Wow what an amazing conclusion) Bronze melts somewhere between 1900-1950 deg. f.so this particular item would have to be very durable. There is a dimple in th middle of the casting that could be used as a pivot point or punched out for the insertation of some type of supporting device. If this is a casting then the final product would be a reversal of the casting and concave resulting in a dish like apparatus. If that is the case then what function does this object serve? The article gives little or no information to make any conclusion. Strictly speculation on my part.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

A wow find, indeed, Slay!

This is for me fantabulous news. I love stuff like this.

As has been mentioned, and which I can fully abide, those that came before us did indeed have it far better than we are penned into giving them credit for.

This thing rocks; and I have no doubts whatsoever as to it's accuracy and precision. I am of the impression that folks back then didn't care too much about nice-looking but useless baubles... just the bits that make it go. And as mentioned elsewhere, the form will follow the function... something which can be quite beautiful unto itself.

Like the later Antikythera device that was recreated in all it's fabulous glory, hopefully one of these can be made so there's no need to disturb it. Swiss watch guys have nothing on these engineers.

And I too feel that these types of devices were commonplace and I am quite sure that there were many different types as well.

They only need to keep digging, to keep looking in museum basements. More astonishments will pop up I assure you.

I'm thinking these were at the end of one of the great cycles of civilization. I think there were even more astounding pieces farther back in time. I do not believe that people were ever "stupid" as the hapless Neandertals were so falsely accused, just as an example. And not for nothing, it doesn't take all that long for technologies to be thought up, developed and implemented. After all, just look at what we've done in just 100 years.

To the mainstream... wake up!

Thanks, my friend.

Peace,
Pixel

edit on 4/6/2011 by PixelDuster because: classified

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by XRaDiiX
Very interesting find Slayer. Its all true that we are still missing a big piece to the puzzle of what happened during ancient times. We all can safely say that many Ancient civilizations were probably wiped out by the great natural disasters and the rising of the sea level that caused many cities to be submerged underwater.

Great find

Good point X
Who knows how many civilizations lie on the bottom
of the Ocean floors or burried under unknown volcanic eruption.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
This device is remarkable its the laptop of the ancients what a wonderful find i always thought they were more technologically advanced the we ever thought they were.. Im sure as time goes by with more digs we will unearth even more fasinating artifats of the ancients..thank you for the thread Slayer S&F

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Another great find. Excellent thread.

p.s. did the link in the OP get deleted, by accident? I don't seem to see it to read the whole story...
edit on 6-4-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Some might view it as a simple artifact but when we consider the age it's from and what the rest of the world was doing during this period. It is amazing. Now if we stop to consider that there had to be a learning process or a pre-computing device stage that lead up to this then it becomes very impressive.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
The ancients were far more advanced than a lot of us give them credit for. From the Hanging Gardens of Babylon to Pyramid of Giza. Just the ancients marvels of world should put them into a class of their own. We have only scraped the surface about how advanced they really were. They were the trendsetters, and we are merely copying off of their accomplishes. Fascinating find!

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Ok, prolly way off base, but... Does anyone else look at the center of this thing and see the "celtic cross" shape of the crossed lines with the circle around it? Didn't they prove there was more to that, like it was used for aligning with great accuracy?
Not sure why that popped in my head, but that's what I see.

Actually it would make sense if it was a mold.
edit on 6-4-2011 by chiefsmom because: thinking more

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Some might view it as a simple artifact but when we consider the age it's from and what the rest of the world was doing during this period. It is amazing. Now if we stop to consider that there had to be a learning process or a pre-computing device stage that lead up to this then it becomes very impressive.
[/quot
Then there is the computing device called the Abacus.
I saw a demonstration of it when i was in my engineering
course in college. This was pre-computer and calculator days.
We used a slide rule. Point is the ancients used their brains to
design artifacts for who knows what functions they performed
in those ancient times.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Good stuff sir.

Loving your recent history threads.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

oops yeah I edited the OP for spelling and accidentally deleted the link

Now it wont let me edit it anymore I'm too late

here it is... Researcher cites ancient Minoan-era 'computer'

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

"While searching in the Archaeological Museum of Iraklion for Minoan Age findings with astronomical images on them we came across a stone-made matrix unearthed in the region of Paleokastro, Sitia. In the past, archaeologists had expressed the view that the carved symbols on its surface are related with the Sun and the Moon," Tsikritsis said.

VERY intriguing -- BUT... the thing looks as though it's cast in bronze. I'd like to find out more about this item, where it is and what it's made of. It doesn't appear to be carved, though I could be wrong.

I am always a tad suspicious when someone from a certain culture (Crete) announces a "history changing artifact' from their own country. Sometimes it's nationalism, sometimes it's accurate.

I am, however, completely intrigued! Let's see what else we can find out about this thing!!

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

True, that is always a possibility but if it is real then wow.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Its is a stone pattern for making a mold, most likely in damp sand, the feature on comming off of one of the point at the right is the "gate" where the molten metal would be poured into the cavity left by the pattern.

Calling it a computer is a bit of a stretch a calender yes but computer no.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks10

One would work out celestial "Computations" with it.

No?

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Hey Byrd...

I looked for more info and all i got so far..

Slayers source..

Slayers Thread..

I use Google though...maybe you'll have better luck...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Thanks SLAYER,
for another interesting read from you.
I have to wonder how many years our ancient ancestors studied the skies to observe the cycles and then create
this device. I bet it took thousands of years to observe then create. And this is another piece of evidence for the case that primitive man isnt that primitive.

S&F
edit on 6-4-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by punkinworks10
Its is a stone pattern for making a mold, most likely in damp sand, the feature on comming off of one of the point at the right is the "gate" where the molten metal would be poured into the cavity left by the pattern.

Calling it a computer is a bit of a stretch a calender yes but computer no.

I was thinking the same thing. Since it doesn't have movable parts, it'd be no different if it were drawn on a piece of paper or painted on a wall. If someone discovered a painting of this, it's unlikely anyone would call it a "computer."

Nevertheless, this is a cool thread and it's very intriguing.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by meathed

Well since I've joined ATS back in 2008 Our understanding of Ancient man has been pushed farther back a few thousand years. Usually the stories break here on ATS before the MSM carries them.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

OK I found a larger image..

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/30c7583e2fe5.jpg[/atsimg]

"While searching in the Archaeological Museum of Iraklion for Minoan Age findings with astronomical images on them we came across a stone-made matrix unearthed in the region of Paleokastro, Sitia. In the past, archaeologists had expressed the view that the carved symbols on its surface are related with the Sun and the Moon," Tsikritsis said.

lame. there are no apps for that

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join