It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas House budget requires public colleges to advocate heterosexuality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

The Texas House approved a budget Sunday that includes a provision requires public colleges and universities with lesbian, gay, bisexual and transsexual (LGBT) resource centers to spend an equal amount of state funds promoting "family and traditional values."

Republican Rep. Wayne Christian's budget amendment was approved 110 to 24 by the Texas House late Friday, The Dallas Morning News reported. The budget bill is headed to the state Senate after the House passed it on Sunday.

When I was in college most of the students I came in contact with didn't need the administration or the state to promote heterosexuality. We did pretty well on our own.

Actually I see what this budget amendment is about. It's a sneeky way of interjecting Christianity into public education. Perhaps that may be a good thing if it dosen't get to preachy.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Insanity. Next they will be picking your wives.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
They shouldn't be advocating any 'lifestyles', they should be imparting knowledge.

But here is one reason that this new thing might be beneficial:

Older gay and bisexual men — ages 50 to 70 — reported higher rates of high blood pressure, diabetes and physical disability than similar heterosexual men. Older gay and bisexual men also were 45 percent more likely to report psychological distress and 50 percent more likely to rate their health as fair or poor. In addition, one in five gay men in California was living with H.I.V. infection, the researchers found. Yet half of older gay and bisexual men lived alone, compared with 13.4 percent of older heterosexual men.

Older lesbian and bisexual women experienced similar rates of diabetes and hypertension compared with straight women of their age, but reported significantly more physical disabilities and psychological distress and were 26 percent more likely to say their health was fair or poor.

More than one in four lived alone, compared with only one in five heterosexual women.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
They shouldn't be advocating any 'lifestyles', they should be imparting knowledge.

But here is one reason that this new thing might be beneficial:

Older gay and bisexual men — ages 50 to 70 — reported higher rates of high blood pressure, diabetes and physical disability than similar heterosexual men. Older gay and bisexual men also were 45 percent more likely to report psychological distress and 50 percent more likely to rate their health as fair or poor. In addition, one in five gay men in California was living with H.I.V. infection, the researchers found. Yet half of older gay and bisexual men lived alone, compared with 13.4 percent of older heterosexual men.

Older lesbian and bisexual women experienced similar rates of diabetes and hypertension compared with straight women of their age, but reported significantly more physical disabilities and psychological distress and were 26 percent more likely to say their health was fair or poor.

More than one in four lived alone, compared with only one in five heterosexual women.

www.nytimes.com...

I guess that's just what all the stress imparted on the queer community by 'hetero-normative society' can do to you... we're also more likely to become depressed, commit suicide, abuse drugs/alcohol, & have a more negative outlook on life because of that stress. If anything that just shows how much more we need to be doing to help the queer rights movement.

This bill has nothing to do with teaching "heterosexuality" but rather "christian hetero-normativism".
LGBT resource centers are not preaching against heterosexuals, but these "straight resource centers" are being placed to directly combat "the gays"...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
It's 2011 for cryin out loud. Are there still actually people in the United States who think that gay people choose to be gay? Really? You can somehow instruct the gay away by promoting heterosexual family values?

What a waste of money...........and time.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain
It's 2011 for cryin out loud. Are there still actually people in the United States who think that gay people choose to be gay? Really?

Yup.

Theory is that they just haven't met the right girl.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain
It's 2011 for cryin out loud. Are there still actually people in the United States who think that gay people choose to be gay? Really? You can somehow instruct the gay away by promoting heterosexual family values?

What a waste of money...........and time.

It's 2011 for cryin out loud. Are there actually white, heterosexual men that believe in equality? Really? You can actually ask for equal representation for heterosexual family values? Not according you people, I guess.

/TOA

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

As a white heterosexual male with a family that subscribes to American family values; I feel that we are treated MORE fairly than homosexual individuals, couples or gay families.

This bill really isn't about family values, sexuality or equality; it's about Texas conservatives trying to institute a Christian theology into public education; shuffling Jews, Muslims or anyone else that isn't a Christian into a political neverland. This isn't new. As a product of the Texas educational system; I have seen how anyone that isn't a WASP is treated by the society at large and especially in the school system. Texans claim to be tolerant but the Old South still reigns supreme in the mind of many Texans, especially those in a position of power.

Don't let your ideology get in the way of your common sense.

edit on 7-4-2011 by whaaa because: fge56gh

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
So basically doing the same thing the homosexuals are pursuing but only in reverse. Funny, when homosexuality is forced into education it's o.k., but teaching normalcy is a crime.......it explains alot.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
reply to post by The Old American

This bill really isn't about family values, sexuality or equality; it's about Texas conservatives trying to institute a Christian theology into public education; shuffling Jews, Muslims or anyone else that isn't a Christian into a political neverland.

Really? Here, let's look at the actual text of the amendment and see "what it's really about":

Amend C.S.H.B. No. 1 in Article of the bill, in the Special Provisions Relating Only to State Agencies of Higher Education, by adding the following appropriately numbered section: Sec. Funding of Student Centers for Family and Traditional Values. It is the intent of the Legislature that an institution of higher education shall use an amount of appropriated funds to support a family and traditional values center for students of the institution that is not less than any amount of appropriated funds used by the institution to support a gender and sexuality center or other center for students focused on gay, lesbian, homosexual, bisexual, pansexual, transsexual, transgender, gender questioning, or other gender identity issues.

Nope, I don't see anything about Christians, or Jews or Muslims. I do, however, see the words "that is not less than any amount", which means to me "equal". To progressives, equality is mutable.

/TOA

top topics

join