It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Arctic Meltwater Pool Cause Britain's Temperature to Plummet?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
You'd think so going by this new media story:

Average temperatures in Britain could fall by several degrees due to a massive pool of melted ice water heading south from the arctic, scientists have warned.

The pool, which has grown by more than a fifth over the last decade, could interrupt the flow of the Gulf Stream which brings warm water from the tropics, raising average European temperatures by between five and ten degrees Celsius.

Arctic meltwater could lower temperatures at home, study warns

But how much of that is actually true? (Quite apart from the Gulf Stream coming nowhere near Europe - it's actually the NAD (North Atlantic Drift) that carries warmer waters across to Britain). I'll leave you to think about that. But meanwhile, here's a slightly less sensational version of the same story:

Arctic Ocean freshwater will cause 'unpredictable changes on climate'

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

You call this story new? I have heard this story over and over again for last 10 years or so.

Blah, blah... Global warming - Greenland will melt - Gulf stream will stop - Europe will freeze. Well guess what - it hasn't happened and it's not very likely to happen in the nearest future.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I live in PA sorry but our weather here sucks also, so what if Britian gets some stupid weather conditions??

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Ridic warm in Plymouth today, so that pool cant be affecting us too much :p just saying its warm real warm.
and sorrry to be off topic but zynga poker i hate you for freezing me out, thats the only freeze ive felt today and I hate you for it zynga I really do!! pair of Aces!
(

edit on 6-4-2011 by Lagrimas because: spellin'

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Interesting that so many different countries are pooling their data. A good thing too.

Important stuff. Thanks. S&F&

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by archasama

Ah, but this time they've actually found a big pool of cold water!

Though I've not said yet what I really think about this story, which has been widely broadcast in the British media today.

top topics

join