It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Price of fuel in Australia compared to the US dollar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
OK wasnt sure where to put this but anyway.

I would assume Australia buys it oil/fuel in US dollars, but that got me thinking recently while our dollar was alot weaker around the low 80 cents to the US fuel cost around 1.25 per litre from memory, now that our dollar is valued basically on par (3 cents over) with the US how the hell are we paying more for fuel despite it costing less in the conversion rates.

The cheapest i have in my town is now 1.36 per litre only because this shop only opened up a week ago and is in direct competition from another in eyesight from one another. the rest around town have no drama's pulling in 1.48 per litre

also these prices are for basic 91 RON unleaded based

edit on 6-4-2011 by Trigger82 because: typo

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Trigger82

Most of our oil is from the Timor Sea while the rest we are forced to buy from the ME even though we don't need it but you can thank the UN for that!

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Trigger82

The gas is more expensive probably due to the cost of transporting the gas to you. That's the way it works in the US for example. Gas will be cheaper the closer a town is to the point where fuel starts its transport.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Yeah its pretty stupid, i read a story not that long ago that said we have enough natural gas reserves in australia where we could run every car on gas for the next 1000years or some crazy number like that, and you know gas produces a whole lot less pollution than petrol does. I love that though they want to bring in the carbon tax right but they could just go make gas our primary fuel source but i guess thats less income and taxes.

Its all a big rort it is so stupid but as always $ > all, i hate the way the world is but hey what can we do i guess, once i get off the grid in the next year screw it i dont care what they do with it as long as they dont come disturb me in my quiet little sth american town where my house is.

viva la cerveza!!

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
i have not seen petrol under $1.40/lt for ages...
and U are right, about the dollar,
we should be paying less...
but thats the system..

ps what is petrol costing everyone else around the world...???

by my estimation A$1.40 per liter in australia = about US$5/ per gallon...or even $5.50?
also about 1 euro per litre???
is that right???

seeya

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
From what I was told when I asked a similar question years ago, our fuel prices are dictated by the Singapore market, or somewhere in SE Asia.

Still doesnt make sense, I havent noticed a price drop in anything since our dollar started doing so well, it's greedy people like Jerry Harvey who keep prices high & dont pass on the savings they get, & he wonders why we are all starting to buy online !

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
good topice

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

Do not spam the board to achieve 20 posts so that you may author a thread. Please go about it the right way.
edit on 4/6/2011 by AshleyD because: (no reason given)

top topics

join