It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thongs may cause impotence.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 12:02 AM
link   
According to a recent study, apparently now its the thong that can now cause impotence.

Like the guy says in the article, "My gut reaction is to be sceptical."

Here's the article below:

Thongs may cause impotence: study

July 13, 2004

THAT ubiquitous item of Australian footwear, the humble thong, could be giving Aussie men flip-flops they don't want.

Overseas research suggests thongs can cause impotence and damage internal organs.
Although local medical experts are sceptical, the German Association for Environmental Practice says thongs contain dangerous levels of chemicals, including phthalates, which are suspected of acting like hormones and damaging liver, kidneys and other internal organs.

But local health experts said men should not abandon the great Aussie footwear tradition just yet.

Brisbane Health Institute for Men director Dr Michael Gillman said while he had not seen the study, he had never heard of any research showing toxins affecting impotence in this way.

"My gut reaction is to be sceptical," he said.

Nutritional and environmental medical doctor Dr Gary Deed said people should be more concerned about the exposure to environmental chemicals in workplaces.

The Courier-Mail

Here's the source of the article: News.com.au

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 12:12 AM
link   
That kind of thong wasn't the kind I had in mind when I first looked at the title.

(also was wondering why men would wear thongs (undies) lol)

Are these chemicals found in all thongs? Certain brands?

Seems a bit... .hokey. lol

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Hmm, I would have to agree that thongs are unlikely to cause damage by absorbtion through the feet. I have however gotten injured a few times, by getting them wet with pool water, then skating across on some smooth concrete surfaces nearby.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crysstaafur
I have however gotten injured a few times, by getting them wet with pool water, then skating across on some smooth concrete surfaces nearby.

Argh! I've done that too much. I almost fell right on my arse in mud the other day because of how slippery they are.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
That kind of thong wasn't the kind I had in mind when I first looked at the title.

I thought that might happen. And yes, it was intentional

I heard about the same article on the radio, and they said the danger was in what makes the sole flexible. But I'd take it with a grain of salt.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Yeah but the study was conducted by Nike.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   
The Australian birthrate has certainly been in decline for decades. However, this has been variously attributed to the use of the contraceptive pill since the late 1950's, and to the higher incidence of women in the workforce.

www.abs.gov.au...@.nsf/0/b2d40fe49306cc67ca2569d00016436e?OpenDocument

and another view here-
www.cis.org.au...

Now with this other theory, could this mean the demise of the great Aussie thong?

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   
"people should be more concerned about the exposure to environmental chemicals in workplaces. "

I'd take that advice rather than worrying about the chemicals in the soles of sandals I might wear 3 out of 9 months of the year, after one study concludes it's a danger to men's fertility, and being a woman it doesn't really affect me

Any effects on the ladies?

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 12:30 AM
link   
This might be a naive question. Could this mean that there will someday be Nike flip-flops? It takes a flexible sole to be able to get back up after falling down from slideing around, only to start slideing again. Hmm.. must be related to the Brain freeze phenomenon, people continue to eat ice cream, immediately after they recover.

Thank you Station for the solefull uplift. My night is better because of this.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Damn, I was hoping to come on here and laugh at some guys who were paying for wearing thongs, damn the misleading title!!!

I don't wear flip-flops/sandles so I guess I'm in the clear on that front. And yes, they are far more dangerous for slipping over and breaking your damn neck.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   

I have been told that it is common place in Germany. You know those wacky Germans!

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna

I have been told that it is common place in Germany. You know those wacky Germans!

Now why isn't that surprising

Whatever floats your boat, but I just can't see them being very comfortable on a man. I'm getting funny images just thinking about it. Time to stop.

[edit on 28-7-2004 by parrhesia]

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Geez, i thought it was an article about men wearing thongs.... gayest thing ever but then again, a comment from a humble member of ats...

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   

but I just can't see them being very comfortable on a man. I'm getting funny images just thinking about it. Time to stop.

indeed, I just don't see how they could ever be comfortable. I don't think this is the time or place to reveal if I've had first hand experience though...

[edit on 28-7-2004 by John Nada]

top topics

join