It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SpaceX Unveils Falcon Heavy, A 'Truly Huge Scale' Rocket

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

SpaceX Unveils Falcon Heavy, A 'Truly Huge Scale' Rocket

w ww.investors.com

WASHINGTON — A high-tech entrepreneur unveiled plans Tuesday to launch the world's most powerful rocket since man went to the moon.Space Exploration Technologies has already sent the first private rocket and capsule into Earth's orbit as a commercial venture.It is now planning a rocket that could lift twice as much cargo into orbit as the soon-to-be-retired space shuttle.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Why are they building this NASA don't have any thing big enough for this to lift I don't even think the Military will have any foreseen use for this rocket. I have been watching Space X from day one and I think there on the right path to the future but I got to ask why they would build this, what do they know? lol

w ww.investors.com

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Not a business-man, I see.

The answer as to why they would build something like this is simple: because someone out there is willing to pay to use the service, and these people have the expertise and desire to provide that product/service.

That's really all there is to it. Not about 'knowing' anything more or less about space, they are just leading the pack.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
what do they know? they know that space is where we are destined to head. they know that asteroids and other planets are rich with billions of tons of materials we use every day. they know that eventually we're going to need to head out to space en mass. they know the future, and the future is space.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by FarBeyondDriven69Why are they building this NASA don't have any thing big enough for this to lift I don't even think the Military will have any foreseen use for this rocket. I have been watching Space X from day one and I think there on the right path to the future but I got to ask why they would build this, what do they know? lol

They're building it to carry cargo and passengers. It has to have 40% more lift than it is expected to carry in order to satisfy NASA passenger standards.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Exciting times.. can't wait til it launches.

Id much rather the US use this than to pay the Russians for a ride to the ISS..

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Pictures make the OP just so much better!

Hint, hint, wink, wink...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by FarBeyondDriven69

I understand your confusion surrounding the need for this vehicle, but I think that if you think deeply enough about it, the following becomes readily apparant. The most expensive part of any mission to space, is not keeping the crew alive during prolonged gravity reduction, nor is it building and testing of equipment to be used either in space or on new worlds. The most expensive and difficult phase of any mission to space, is launching the damned thing into orbit. Once past this costly post, the other financial considerations are a pittance more often than not.

This means that every mission which has ever flown, has blown the majority of its funding , just getting out of our atmosphere. If this process, the lofting of a space vehicle, can be reduced in cost, without skimping on saftey , that would represent an amazing oppertunity for those involved with the scientific endevours of exploration and discovery of our solar system. By paying SpaceX to loft thier equipment for them, the space agencies of the world could free up the money they would normaly loose by launching thier own gear, and therefore spend more on the actual equipment they are sending into space, be it satellites, space telescopes, or manned vehicles intended to reach out further into space.

If these oppertunities were not enough, then bare also in mind that the new vehicle claims to be able to loft heavier gear than other launch methods. Make no mistake, this represents an unprecedented oppertunity to space agencies across the globe, and I hope that those organisations take full advantage of it, if it can be demonstrated that SpaceX can get things to orbit safely with this "Falcon Heavy".

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Already posted here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Way to go, SpaceX!

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Commercial and Private space travel... Sure the world has gone to crap but every now and again we make a step in the right direction.

Now if we could only do it more often...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by FarBeyondDriven69

Why are they building this NASA don't have any thing big enough for this to lift I don't even think the Military will have any foreseen use for this rocket. I have been watching Space X from day one and I think there on the right path to the future but I got to ask why they would build this, what do they know? lol

www.i nvestors.com
x
its like we have horses and carts and someone invents a train. dats why we need it..

kx

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Monkeygod333

Impressive pic. Is that an artists impression or is it the real one that they sent out earlier.
Good luk SpaceX with your endeavors.
Contact me if you want to innovate to an electric rocket for unmanned missions.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by optimus primal

what do they know? they know that space is where we are destined to head. they know that asteroids and other planets are rich with billions of tons of materials we use every day. they know that eventually we're going to need to head out to space en mass. they know the future, and the future is space.

Yes your right, but what I'm saying is no one even has anything planed that is big enough for this rocket to blast off with.It would be like renting a 747 to take a 5 pound box from New York to L.A. So why build a rocket that mite sit for 50 years and maybe be out dated by the time someone has a big enough load for it? I'm with you 100% we got to get into space real soon or humanity mite not be around much longer, Thanks everyone!

edit on 6-4-2011 by FarBeyondDriven69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

why build a car for personal use that can go over three hundred miles per hour? there are only a few places in the world where they can actually drive that fast. seems like an awefull waste of engineering skills to design that much power when it'll never be fully used.

the answer is...because they can. but with the rocket there's also an additional answer, because eventually we'll need all that lift power. because we don't have anything that big to lift into space right this moment doesn't preclude such things from existing next year or a decade from now. they're getting ready. preplanning. it's no big mystery to be honest.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
yea yea talk womble waffle fishpaste ..bottom line the humans should long ago have had
space travel .We probably had it and it was taken away so we can be farmed for our flesh and DNA and converted to borg robots ect...all this is very
depressing ,,rich people ..when do i get a 75 meter benetti yaught..oh yea I'm not worthy right
I must get a job right ..gfy brother !!!

www.1minpages.com...
edit on 7-4-2011 by NorkiSpaceDuck because: format

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by NorkiSpaceDuck

i'm not sure i understand most of your rambling here. the last part about yachts....yeah only lazy cheapos want free crap like yachts and think they deserve to have what the superrich have simply because they draw breath.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

I agree with you completely. What do they know. They have a customer that needs a large lift. You don't invest that much for a future client.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
nasa can burn in hell

Never A Straight Answer
edit on 7-4-2011 by ashtonkusher because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by JerryB08

doesn't make sense for future clients?? seriously?? asteroid mining alone could and more than likely will bring in tens of trillions of dollars when we start doing it.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Economy of motion. Using a heavy lift vehicle is necessary if you wish to place huge payloads out at the geosync, and also, multiple payloads can be dispensed from one luanch platform, so it would be sort of like a payload "bus". Plus, if you are going to do interplanetary/manned missions, you'd still need a heavy hauler to launch or to put "modules" in low earth orbit to construct the vehicle there. Also, I think that China is going to be building it's own large space station and they might be looking for some of that market share too!

edit on 8-4-2011 by CosmosKid because: spelling

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join