It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN - Radioactive water leak has stopped! Dumping continues

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
CNN

I'm taking this with a grain of salt, but CNN is reporting that the leak of highly radioactive water into the ocean is finally plugged.

The reactor is still leaking water into the trench, but the trench is no longer spilling into the ocean.

Earlier, Tokyo Electric officials had said an attempt to plug the leak had shown a "significant difference," despite the material not setting as hoped. The company had injected a silica-based polymer dubbed "liquid glass" to reduce the leak.

The utility's assessment comes after the country's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said the substance had not hardened as expected. The material had been pumped from below into the leaking shaft at the plant's No. 2 reactor.

That doesn't seem to reassuring though...

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
The news is scripted BS. This was just in between news on what Charlie Sheen is doing i'm sure.

I hope their right for once though.

Edit: I know you said your taking this with a grain of salt.

edit on 5-4-2011 by XxRagingxPandaxX because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-4-2011 by XxRagingxPandaxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

Your sig link doesn't work, took me to a page not found.

But I'm with you, I don't trust any corporate media, not for one second.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Even if they've plugged that leak, they are still pumping water in and it has to go somewhere. The problem hasn't vanished - it's just moved somewhere else for now.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
This thread exists already peeps

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Curio

No, it's OK. A new rule of physics has been added to the books. Any body filled with a liquid is never over-flowing... Hence the proverb: A drop is never enough.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
BBBBBBBBBSSSSSSSSSSSSSssssss... I call them all LiarSsss...

9.0 quake = more than ONE CRACKSsssss... wowooooo

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Hey. I just posted this about an hour or so ago on a thread about Lava/volcanoes + the Fukushima leak.

I think I got it.

I just read a year ago about a post revolutionary era southerner who made a new type of Cement Mortar- and his buildings and outbuildings look as new as the day he built them back around revolutionary war time.

I remember that he was using a silica sand (glass) and also since he had been making cannon, cannon balls, etc for the war effort, he added lead shavings or tailings to the mix- I believe he was heating this mixture till the shavings/silica blended with the concrete materials- making a damn near impermeable, rock hard mortar.

The people who have studied this material say that there is a much higher chance of the stones and the bricks that are mortared together breaking down than the mortar itself. I cannot find the article now on the mortar and building method - but it was the Keswick Farm- built by Major John Clarke. www.abovetopsecret.com...

Maybe that is a partial answer?

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
So basically they expect us to believe that this is the leak that has stymied the collective minds at TEPCO for so long? Is anyone else just not buying this neat little hole (looks almost drilled) leaking relatively tiny amounts of water as the culprit for the massive releases we have been told about?

As the reactors continue to meltdown and emit deadly toxins, TEPCO spend a fortnight trying to find and plug a hole the size of a tennis ball in an external wall. I cannot believe that they expect us to swallow this crap any longer.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
That article states that probably most of the radioactivity in the water is iodine 131 which does have a half-life of 8 days, plus there's the dilution factor. So, in terms of rate of absorption which is a big factor in how sick a person can get, it does help for it to be diluted. Not that I'm happy with any of this, I'm just trying to sort through it all.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Curio
Even if they've plugged that leak, they are still pumping water in and it has to go somewhere. The problem hasn't vanished - it's just moved somewhere else for now.

Maybe its low-tide and none are the wiser?

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by AnnonymousLurker

It was my understanding thta the reason they had to keep pumping water is because of the leak they couldn't keep the fuel rods cooled, so to keep the rods covered they had to keep pumping water in. Once the leak is plugged it should be easier to keep the rods cooled. I don't know enough about partial melt downs though...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
TEPCO announcing that they stopped the leakage isn´t really reassuring to me. They didn´t even notice this leakage for quite some time in the first place. So even if this particular one is sealed now, how can they be sure they didn´t miss another one?

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
reply to post by AnnonymousLurker

It was my understanding thta the reason they had to keep pumping water is because of the leak they couldn't keep the fuel rods cooled, so to keep the rods covered they had to keep pumping water in. Once the leak is plugged it should be easier to keep the rods cooled. I don't know enough about partial melt downs though...

Likewise I know very little about meltdowns other than what I have read in the last 4 weeks or so. But I don`t need a degree in nuclear physics to think that the picture of that tiny hole is absolutely ridiculous. It doesnt look like earthquake damage and it doesn`t look like it would be hard to plug. It also doesn`t look big enough to account for the quantities released. Just my opinion.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Being this close to a hole leaking contaminated water isn't dangerous? I would have thought that getting close to it would be deadly...
I agree its size is somewhat small for all the fuss... in a manner of speaking.

But what were we to expect from a company that has been lying for more than a decade?

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by raiders247

If real then this is good to hear. S&F OP

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

TEPCO Response to Dumping – Regarding a letter of protest from National Federation of Fisheries Cooperative Associations

Click here for the official press release

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by webworker

HOLY CRAP!

While the water discharge was an unavoidable emergency measure implemented after the consultation with the national government in order to...

It was not a consequence of the Earthquake?!?...

Is this true??? I can't seem to find it elsewhere...
edit on 6-4-2011 by NowanKenubi because: (no reason given)

top topics

join