It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Highlights from The Times: Kurt Cobain remembered, 1967-1994

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Kurt Cobain was found dead at his home located at 171 Lake Washington Boulevard in Seattle, Washington, United States on April 8, 1994. Cobain, the lead singer of the American grunge band Nirvana, had checked out of a drug rehabilitation facility and been reported suicidal by his wife Courtney Love. The Seattle Police Department incident report states that Cobain was found with a shotgun across his body, had a visible head wound and there was a suicide note discovered nearby. The King County Medical Examiner noted that there were puncture wounds on the inside of both the right and left elbow.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/353bb26dbd85.jpg[/atsimg]

Kurt Cobain, the frontman for 1990s rock band Nirvana and reluctant spokesperson for a generation of anti-establishment, angst-riddled listeners, died in his Seattle-area home 17 years ago today. On this anniversary, we revisit the impact he had on the music industry and its listeners by featuring tributes that ran in the Los Angeles Times
after his death:

When I didn't have some Swisha House grey tapes in the deck, or maybe some Jodeci, or R. Kelly. You would occasionally find me in my room at night, straining my headphones to "And the Gods made Love" by Jimi Hendrix. I felt safe with Jimi. Hell he was black, I knew I couldn't be labeled as a sale-out by listenin to Jimi right? But as a black kid, it was always sorta, the "weird" black kids that listened to "grunge" Or alternative music. anything form Bush, to Beck, Pearl Jam, Green Day was my sh!t, and also non other than Nirvana, and this was well before I was on the concious movement or even knew what the definition of Nirvana was.
Its been 17 years to the day. I couldnt tell you what I was doing that day, cause I didnt hear about him blowing his head off til I got to school. Seemed like all of a sudden every body listened to Nirvana at that point.
That was my sleep musiq there. It always sorta put me in a state of... well Nirvana, Now I finally realize what that means.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7456236c4a53.jpg[/atsimg]

Source
edit on 5-4-2011 by SirKnightE because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-4-2011 by SirKnightE because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I remember that day. Oh how the kids in my school cried. It really was gut wrenching because Kurt was an amazing artist. I remember how swollen Courtney Love's face was as she read the letter he had written. I remember thinking that she must have been crying nonstop.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by irsuccubus

Courtney killed Kurt.
Everyone knows this.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by PoopDawg

Oh I remember the controversy. A million years ago I bought a copy of High Times that did a whole article and pointed out some inconsistencies. I never felt one way or the other about the truth in that. She wouldnt have been the first wife to off her husband to boost her own status. it really sucks because I wonder where music would have gone had he lived. it probably still would have crashed and burned in the end but I would have a few more nirvana albums.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by PoopDawg
reply to post by irsuccubus

Courtney killed Kurt.
Everyone knows this.

I actually started to post this in another forum just to see what ATS thought about this supposed conspiricy

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SirKnightE

Cobain was probably the most over rated musician of his time. The best thing that ever happened to his career was he died. People put him up on imaginary pedestals. If he were alive today and just doing the do he would no where near as popular as he is now!. Seeing pictures of him up next to the likes of Jim Morrison, Hendrix and Marley is a disgrace. He is not even in their league! The best thing to come from Cobain's death was the emergence of Dave Grohl! Now Dave really rocks as a person and a musician!

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Loved Nirvana. I still do.
One of the only bands I can still listen to and not get tired of.
He was totally killed by Courtney and their male nanny, IMO.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by phatpackage

David Grohl rocked when in Nirvana, even more in my opinion. Great f'ing drummer. Like they say, "Never give the drummer the microphone!"
edit on 4/5/2011 by FoJAk because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/5/2011 by FoJAk because: blah

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Thank's for the reminder. Now it's gonna be all Nirvana all day for the rest of the week at work (my coworkers are gonna be babies about it though)

Time to go back to my old avatar.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I know they say do not speak ill of the dead but ..............................

Kurt was just another rock star who got what he wanted and pissed it away. Sad to see anyone pass but, imo He would have been better as a poet or artist. Nirvana would've faded around 96 or 97 anyhow. Everyone got sick of grunge real fast and Cobain didn't have the musical ability to adapt as Grohl did. In the end Kurt just wanted money to shoot smack and he got his wish.

However I believe that they're unplugged disk was an excellent album (and the best of the unplugged discs) and he was like it or not the voice of a movement if not the generation.

R.I.P Mr. Cobain

That is all

Trowa

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by PoopDawg

I actually very
much agree with you on this.

join