It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court Indicts Bush on High Treason Charge (of all days (July 4th, 2009)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
OK.. I know this is old but hmmmm.. in searching the web to find a definition of High treason in my last post.. I literally stumbled upon this article which completely stunned me.. what you see in the title is exactly what the news article reads!!!!

What's odd is, I 'kinda' remember this was going to happen or had happened, but, whether it did actually go through or not, needs to be checked out.. can anyone plz help me find the results of this indictment ?? As of this moment I'm completely floored and shocked and liked to know what the result was. Did he get pardoned??

here's the entire Article from NY TIMES

Court Indicts Bush on High Treason Charge (By Bart Garzon
Published: July 4th, 2009)

WASHINGTON (AP) — George W. Bush, the 43rd President of the United States, was indicted Monday on charges of high treason. The charges, filed by Attorney General Russ Feingold late in the evening, allege that Mr. Bush, knowing full well that Iraq possessed no weapons of mass destruction, falsified information in order to pursue the disastrous Iraq War. (See “U.S. Knew No W.M.D.s in Iraq,” on Page A1, and the petition at www.democrats.com/pardon.)

Federal District Judge Michael Ratner denied Mr. Bush’s request to represent himself. Ratner is the former president of the Center for Constitutional Rights.

High treason is usually defined as participation in a war against one’s own country; attempting to overthrow its government; spying on its military, its diplomats, or its secret services for a hostile and foreign power; or attempting to kill its head of state.

“In this case, high treason has been interpreted to include pursuing an illegal and devastating war that has cost hundreds of billions of dollars and the lives of over 4,000 Americans and perhaps a million Iraqis, for essentially insane ends,” said Vincent Bugliosi, a former federal prosecutor whom Feingold named lead special prosecutor in the case. “In effect, the Iraq War amounted to a war against America,” added Bugliosi, who is also the author of the book, The Prosecution of George Bush for Murder
Although the treason indictment came as no surprise to most observers, what was completely unexpected was the party who brought it.

“The case is highly unusual in a number of ways,” said Bugliosi, “not the least of which is that the defendant is actually accusing himself.”

In a press conference held close to midnight yesterday at his Crawford, Texas ranch, former President Bush cited his renewed Christian faith as the catalyst for this unprecedented action. “Last month, I had a conversation with Jesus Christ. A new conversation. And I’ve been very blessed to have been born again, again. This time, for real,” Mr. Bush read in a prepared statement to half a dozen stunned reporters.

“It’s taken a lot of soul searching, or more like deep-soul diving, I think is the term. But now I see that it was wrong to lead our nation to war under false pretenses. Millions have suffered for my sins, and I see now that it is only fitting that I should suffer as well.”

Mr. Bush’s self-accusation seems largely to have been plagiarized from years of accusations made against him in the press. It refers to his “political propaganda campaign to sell the war to the American people,” and describes how he and his team attempted to make the “W.M.D. threat and the Iraqi connection to terrorism appear certain, whereas in fact we knew there wasn’t one at all.

The death and economic collapse that resulted has been completely devastating to our nation and, most of all, to me,” read Mr. Bush’s indictment. “I want to make amends, and it is for this reason that I am requesting that I be indicted for high treason. I thank the court for allowing me to right my grave wrongs. Bring it on!”

Some analysts suggest that Mr. Bush’s self-indictment is part of a strategy to avoid the death penalty. Although treason carries a potential death sentence, Mr. Bush and his team of attorneys are seeking a triple life sentence without possibility of parole.

“We don’t want to be too cynical about Mr. Bush’s motives,” said a spokesperson for AfterDowningStreet.org, one of the main groups that had been pursuing Mr. Bush’s indictment. “But even if it doesn’t get moved to the I.C.C., requesting his own conviction is so unusual it could move some jurors, or even help with an insanity plea.”

A friend of Mr. Bush, speaking on condition of anonymity, revealed that Mr. Bush would attempt to move the case to the International Criminal Court, which does not have a death penalty, and was quietly pressing Secretary of State Naomi Klein to bring the U.S. under the court’s jurisdiction. In 2002, then-Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld rejected the I.C.C.’s jurisdiction, saying it was “unaccountable to the American people.”

Mr. Bush maintained his characteristically jovial manner throughout the proceedings. I could be executed, but what good would that do anybody? Especially me. I think the nation would rather I spend a good long while considering what happened — not only the tragic end of hundreds of thousands of lives, but the end of American capitalism, that I liked, I sincerely liked, Mr. Bush said. (See also “An Exclusive Interview With George W. Bush,” on Page A9.)

The treason charge does not address compensation for the hundreds of thousands of Iraqis killed in the war. It is expected that surviving family members of fallen American soldiers will file thousands of civil lawsuits alleging wrongful death.
NY TIMES SOURCE

edit on 5-4-2011 by Komodo because: the bold & Italics are mine

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

there seems to be a problem with this article...........the link you provided was supposedly written in 2009, yet the comments below were from 2008??????????????????????????????

how is this possible??

Parker

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
HAHAHA as if GW said any of that, ever?

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
It's not the actual NY Times. It's a satire. I am guessing the SE in the address references satire edition. If your scroll down to the comments a couple of the comments indicate that it is not the real paper. Also pressing the home page button brings you to the July 4th 2009 page (even though comments are different date) rather than the current NY Times homepage.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
"IF" he was convicted of high treason against the United States don't you think there would have been news of the arrest?

This is just not right. I am not going to argue the point of whether he should be tried or not but obviously this story is not right.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Bush isn't smart enough to commit high treason he was nothing more than a tool. If they are going to charge anyone then it should be Cheney he's the one that was pulling the strings.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
lets start with the beginning of the article... Russ Finegold wasn't AG he did however vote to confirm John Ashcroft AG

Democrat party member of the U.S. Senate from 1993 to 2011.

I stopped looking for accuracy in the article after that. It would be nice if GB had a crisis of morality and did that however, not very likely.
I found the article in several other places but no followup articles anywhere. an indictment is only a finding that there is enough evidence to go to trial. that and that alone. the case was likely dismissed at preliminary hearings before it ever got to court if is existed at all.
Are you sure this wasn't posted on April fools just to mess with folks?

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
MMMMY bad.. didn't notice the -se..

top topics

join