Explain why the price of gas is going up?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

It seems that everyone I speak to has a different take on this. Regardless every year the past few years gas goes up a month or two before memorial day, then down a bit, then back up around labor day. It just seems a bit too convenient that the price goes up when people tend to do the most driving for this to be related to anything else.

There are so many reasons I heard for this:
1. Fighting in Libya
2. The Obama administration
3. A Shortage of Gasoline?
4. Drilling
5. War
6. Economy

I even found this web page that speaks about this more in depth from the past years:

Oil and Gas Excuses

Gas prices effect everything in our economy, I understand it's time to start thinking green but for now we are stuck. And it is one of those things that when the price is down everyone seems to forget the months earlier when the prices were up, way up.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
You forgot the main reason:

Envirowhackos

In their warped view, rising gas prices is more likely to bring along their fantasy of clean alternative energy.

Not going to happen.

The only way to reduce the cost is to build up the supply....in other words.....

DRILL, BABY, DRILL.
edit on 5-4-2011 by Carseller4 because: spelling

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
LOL, I just had this conversation with my friend.

A month ago - "Gas prices up as rebels close in on port"

Two weeks ago - "Gas prices down as rebels close in on port"

I dont believe there is any more rhyme or reason to why the prices go up, its just at TPTB's whim. They say it is regarding oil futures and the cost of refining, transporting, pumping, and the other associated costs with petroleum production. I think its all BS. They just test the waters to see how much people will pay at any given time, then bring it down for a bit, and increase it, almost like a step system. The "down prices" are never really down, just lower than the current peak.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

I was just thinking about the same thing earlier today - how fuel/energy costs Always rise and fall before, during adn near-immediately after 'peak travel times' ... odd/funny, that ... elections, too. ?
?

... hafta wonder why That is. ?
?

Not only that, but if you take into consideration 'the mere MSM mention of Any exporting country experiencing governmental or military, public uprisings, etc you get the same thing ... Price Spikes.

I've always merely chalked it up to .. 'they've done their homework' & 'they Have the ability to manipulate their market accordingly'.

... and to me That says A Lot with regards the extent of corporate influence in both political and regulatory 'decision making(s)'.

edit on 4/5/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: italics tag

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Because the end... For them is coming and they will squezzz every $$$$ they can before we start
buying alternative energy cars....

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
www.hubbertpeak.com...

The world is running out of oil. There is around 2.1 trillion barrels of oil left in the ground.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
None of the above.

The price of gas is going up because the oil companies decided they wanted more money. Prior to any unrest in the mid east the news was discussing $5 a gallon and over gas by the summer. The decision was made, prices began to up, and they simply waited for something to blame it on.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

With this being on the top of the pyramid, so to speak, you would think people could do more to ensure we are not getting ripped off. Gas/oil prices effect everything from food to wars, it almost makes me wonder if there is a way to circumvent the system they have control of us over.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Gas broke 4 dollars a gallon here today, it was 3.79 when I went to work, 3.89 when I got there, 3.99 when I left, and 4.09 by the time I got home. Ridiculous.

I'm going to be figuring out what I can do to get these prices lower, what petitions I can sign, what I can do in general - this is not right. We need to put the pressure on OPEC to lower the prices, or start pumping more out of the ground - when prices hit 3 dollars a gallon they claimed it was based on supply and demand, and that they would not increase the supply. Now its over 4 a gallon and they still aren't increasing supply? I'm hoping what I'm reading wasn't true about Kissinger making a deal with the arab nations in the 70s, where we would buy their oil (etc etc) and the end result is $200 dollars a barrel, take over their countries, and keep selling it at 200 a barrel under the control of the US/UN.

We need to start or join a movement to get these prices down, where is the free market on this one?

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
You forgot the main reason:

Envirowhackos

In their warped view, rising gas prices is more likely to bring along their fantasy of clean alternative energy.

Not going to happen.

The only way to reduce the cost is to build up the supply....in other words.....

DRILL, BABY, DRILL.
edit on 5-4-2011 by Carseller4 because: spelling

Frack you!

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

Is it Tuesday where you are? If so that's not a good sign, Tuesday is supposed the day of week that gas is cheapest.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
so have you people forgotten the drilling ban in the gulf guess that has nothing to do with it

have you people forgotten that there have been no new oil refineries built in this country for over 2 decades guess that has nothing to do with it.

regulations have nothing to do with it and the new clean air act that regulates the air you breath and the water you drink?

there are numerous reasons why gas prices have gone up and you people who flame big oil are misplacing your anger.

not every oil company is american and you people know just how much its costs to explore and find and drill to bring oil to the market?

you want cheaper oil get government the hell out of the equation and the treehuggers and every other idiot in the processes.

or you can just bomb and invade saudi arabia and steal all their oil since nothing of those other things will ever happen.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Fuel prices here in Oz cities the prices cycle each week with the lowest prices usually mid-week and rising again for the weekends. Long weekends will always see the price spike on the thursday or friday before everyone heads off to wherever they go.

I've asked rural fuel stations why their price is 10 cents per litre dearer than the larger town 100 miles away.. they say it is transport costs.. Garbage!! The Fuel trucks run Cost and Tax Free!! So the honest answer is that's what the operator wants to charge people... and gets away with it because everyone accepts the dishonest answer.

In research done into costing in the late 90's of 200 gallon drums leaving the Brisbane Refineries, it turns out only 2 percent of the final Oil product goes to Fuel production, the remaning 98% goes to manufacturing things like Clothing, Plastic goods, Make-up, etc. So in effect the pump price you pay offsets costs to these industries.

Then consider that the rich are playing "let's make a squillion" on the stock market with Oil, which plays havoc with the Prices You pay for Fuel.

Both the U.S. and Australia have enogh capped oil deposits to be self-sufficient for a couple of centuries. So one then needs to ask why are these two countries part of OPEC? And why then do they tow the line of OPEC? Why not tell OPEC to go get Effed and only use your own reserves?

edit on 5-4-2011 by Tayesin because: dyslexic spelling again

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

If what you say is true why does it go up and down in price then?

It should remain stable or just go up in price by your thoughts.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum
you would think people could do more to ensure we are not getting ripped off.

That would require people in positions to do so, or who have the ability to act upon, to Actually be concerned with, for or about folks not being ripped off.

Gas/oil prices effect everything from food to wars

They sure do ... :shk: ... not only do they reflect upon and effect everything from food to wars ... they've historically often proven as the cause, too.

-may we live in interesting times-

*check*

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

Watch Collapse about Michael Ruppert and see what he has to say. If he's right then this is just the start of the oil wars.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

gas is just like any other commodity it goes up with supply and demand and the other market quirks since oil is a global commodity events that happen elsewhere in the world thats with every other commodity like corn,wheat and everything else that has a perishable nature.

however unlike other commodities that can be replaced oil or gasoline cannot be replaced easily the billions it takes to bring new oil resources its the biggest factor other commodities can be replaced fairly cheaply.

and the time factor.

theres alot of reasons why and another big reason is the daily fluctuation of the dollar and the manipulation of it.

honestly there no simple answers its more like the effects of a b c excetra and how they effect each other

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Uh.. capitalism.. you are going to pay it... and if not you, someone..

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I really dont think its about "follow the money" at this point.

Its not about sqeezing evey last $ that "they" can get from YOU ( IMHO )

Its allready done..over .. the Money is fiat..its fake !

Its only power at this point ( I dont mean nuke or coal ) .. I mean Power..

You do know what that means dont you ?

Governments dont fight for gold anymore..they dont fight for money. ( Its not about money ).

Peeps fight for money all around the globe..but not the smart ones.. they Talk..and they reside in the Know of Things.

Some of us think that Everyone with power is the bad guy ( yes we allowed this to happen way way long time ago if you think $ is power ). I think its just/cant be true..

We think that Somebody is "out to get us" .. while we are gettin ourselves shot up in the streats?!. YOU think Big Bro is planning and manipulating some kind of Doom to kill us All while the Elite is somehow drinkin up some plan to spend the next 10 years underground in some elaborate cascade of " human survival " after They wiped out the friggin world ?

Common Folks.. use that brain.

You guys dont want NWO .. and I understand..

But what about WNO ( World Order Now ) or mebbe NOW ( New Order Now ) ??

I mean to say..there has go to be some kind of World order right ?

Unless Someone here can suggest a better Idea of Ballance.

If not the all were going to have is Strife and Kiling and war..it will never end .. IMO.

So.. NWO .. NOW.. or WNO ?

Most want our cookies and eat them too.. some dont like the taste .. cant make a baker make 200 different deserts all at one time can we ..

Just my take ..

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a couple of other things to consider is gasolines shelf life depending on who you ask this can be either a few weeks or a few months and with a fuel stabilizer that will extend it to a year.

however this is not the case with diesel fuel its shelf life is longer and with a fuel stabilizer it could last 10 years.

the other things to be considering is what else is made from oil other than gasoline and diesel fuel

heres a partial list of products made from the by products of petro among them heart valves and asprin

www.ranken-energy.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join