It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Return of the Commodore 64

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

The current model of the Commodore 64, or C64x as it's known, features a dual-core Intel Atom 1.80GHz processor, 2GB RAM as standard (expandable to 4GB) and an NVIDIA ION Graphics Processor with 512MB of VRAM. It has the option of WiFi and Bluetooth as well as either a tray-loading or slot-loading DVD drive -- or even a BluRay drive. Internal storage can be anything between 160GB and 1TB.

C64x systems cost from $250 for a "bare-bones" unit (featuring just the casing, keyboard and card reader) up to $895 for the BluRay and WiFi-equipped 4GB model with 1TB of storage. A bit more expensive than picking up a genuine 80s C64 from eBay, then, but rather more flexible in what it's capable of.

GamePro: New Commodore 64

I saw this today and I can't help but feel warm and fuzzy about it. All those hours as a kid straining my eyes in a darkend basement...my first cues that I was a geek came during those days.

Nostalgia is a wonderful thing sometimes.

The funny thing about this is that it is a viable product. Although, as stated in the first link, you aren't going to run top-of-the-line games on it, that's not what it is meant for.

Personally I think this is a fantastic idea, bring it and the old OS back and let a new generation of kids get thier start in the computer field with a programming language that doesn't require a degree.

They are going to release the old 8bit games with it too. I watched a peice on CNN years ago where they gave kids access to all the consoles from over the years...it's funny that even after playing the PS3 and Xbox the kids still had a blast playing games on the original Atari.

Official Commodore 64 Site
edit on 5-4-2011 by [davinci] because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I remember going with my Dad to Zayre when I was probably 5 and the Commodore 64 was the first computer we bought. This is the kind of thing I'd get sucked in to wasting money on just because I like things that remind me of being a kid.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
SWEET!

I have an original VIC-20 in the box...with the cassette tape drive

I keep hanging on to it in hopes a time traveller from the future will need it

edit on 5-4-2011 by Signals because: classified

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by [davinci]

Yup, everything went downhill after 64.

Wolfenstein Rules!

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Now this brings back memories of opening up the C64 box on christmas day with my brother and playing Operation Wolf for the remaining 672 hours of the holidays, punctuated with breaks of Barbarian II.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by [davinci]

Return?
Silly child, the master has never left!
They have simply allowed the world to catch up to their awesomeness.

wow many hours lost on a c64 and a trs 80.
i miss those games.
Zork!! ftw.
I had days worth of dot matrix printed computer paper, to remember where i had been, plus a multilayered map of zork.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
i had a turbulent life and growing up in my first foster parents (1984) they had a sinclair zx spectrum,god how i loved the screechy loading noise,thx to ebay i bought 1 a few yrs ago mint condition no serial number.then my foster parents bought a caravan in skegness and i was hooked on them machines,i could hear a game in the arcade and distinguish it from all others,my favourites was operation wolf,shinobi,double dragon,spy hunter,out run,and a lot more,i ended up buying of ebay and some others i came across such as c64,amiga,atari st,binatone mk4,atari vcs(heavy 6er sunnyvale calafornia)atari junior,and a few others.its thx to M.A.M.E (multiple arcade machine emulator) in 1997 that enabled me to relive it again and all them feelings it actually took over my life for a while..

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Greatest news i've heard in years!!!

awesome!!! thanks for sharing!!
made me happy...

new topics

top topics

join