It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Late Introduction: Things Man Was Not Meant To Know

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I've seen complaints about people not introducing themselves to this esteemed community, and rather than risk being thought of as a garden-variety hit-and-run troll, figured I should finally introduce myself. Although I am generally loathe to volunteer personal information over the Internet except at the most prudent necessity, I suppose I can be bothered to offer some generalities.

I am an American, and proud to be an American. That does not mean that I am proud of everything America or Americans do, nor that I think America is the source of all that is good in the world. My travels abroad have taught me many things, but nation-worship is not among them. I try to be fair, respectful and reasonable in my dealings with non-Americans, and where I fail in that, the failure is mine.

I have been computing in one form or another for a very long time, dating back to card readers and magtape. I love computers and computing, and have spent a great deal of my life involved with them in one way or another. I have been well-compensated for my work with computers, which seems like a crime to me, because I would have done it all for free if they but kept me fed, clothed and housed (suckers!).

Aside from computing, much have I seen and much have I done. Many lands have been my home, and in many more have I wandered. I have worked for many different employers in many different places, and learned much from each. I value professionalism and hard work.

I have served in the armed forces of the United States in several capacities, and have supported my government in other ways out of uniform. I have sworn an oath to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States, have never renounced it, and intend to hold true to that oath until released from it by death.

I will never knowingly or willingly say, do or imply anything that may be injurious or prejudicial to the security, safety or well-being of the United States of America. I will also not idly suffer such things to occur, either. I recommend that correspondents bear these things in mind when interacting with me.

I do not currently work for any government organization and have no plans to do so. I do not have access to any kind of classified or sensitive information, and have no plans to change that. I have gone to great lengths to be sure that I don't discuss topics involving anything classified or sensitive that I may have had privileged access to, so that I might speculate freely. I do not have, use or maintain contacts with people who have access to classified information, and if I did, I would make damn sure not to attempt to discuss classified topics with them.

I do not and will not comment publicly on any classified program or activity I have been involved with. If I comment on a topic, it is because I specifically do NOT have an official connection to that topic in any way, shape or form. I do correspond with individuals who may be privy to non-public information on various topics, but none of whom have current access to classified information and none of whom would ever be stupid enough to tell me something that was classified.

I respect and encourage the diligent and proper attribution of all sources of information to the higest degree practicable. However, I am not always at liberty to cite all my sources. This is not because they are classified, but rather because such information may come from non-Internet sources or private sources that I cannot disclose. Or maybe because I simply made something up. You decide.

Agreement with me or belief in my claims is not a term of service for ATS.

I am a veteran of alt.flame (back when it sucked much better than it does today) and bear the scars of many years of flame combat in that newsgroup and countless other fora before and since. I spanked, and was spanked by, some of the biggest names in the Hall of Flame. I was a flamelord even before my advent to alt.flame, wielding sarcasm, wit, vitriol and guile with abandon and glory on countless BBS's at 300 baud (low-baudrate flames were the canvas of the masters).

I was awarded a Doctorate of Flameology in 1993, am a Keeper of the Secret Flame, and a Grand Master of the Art of Flame. I have seen every form of intellectual combustion known to man, beast or machine. I know flame. But like so many before and since, who have plumbed the depths of sinful joy that can be found in flaming for flame's sake, I finally flamed out.

I come to ATS not to flame, but to observe, learn and perhaps educate now and then. Thus my colleagues on these fine forums may find me more intolerant than most when it comes to flamage. Why? Because when I see flames, I see myself back in 'Nam, baby. It's hard to hold back when that happens, but I am usually successful in stepping aside before the cascades begin.

So if you are a flamer and see this, know that you may indeed run up to me, kick me in the virtual shin, cry "spank!" and run off. Or perhaps seek to challenge me through subtle deception and lure me into igneous combat that way. Just be advised that it is only by the grace of my reformation into a firefighter that I don't roast you like the pathetic little insect you are. But I digress.

As for my handle, it is styled after a program keyword from a defunct U.S. counterintelligence operation. I have already commented at length on this brilliant program, so I won't duplicate that here. This happens to be a case where I will not reveal my sources or why I am so confident the whole "MAJESTYTWELVE" program (it actually went by many names, I happen to like that one for various reasons) and its spinoffs were not a genuine alien conspiracy or plot to take over the world, but, as usual, I can assert that I had no direct involvement in that program, had no access to any classified materials associated with it and that none of my sources are classified.

So feel free to believe all of that MJ-12 business is real. Heck, a lot of it was, and most people in the program believed it was the real deal. Besides, not everyone can handle the truth and changing that is usually way beyond my abilities. I offer no proof of my claims, so they should be treated with great skepticism. All fine with me, I assure you, and I would not want it any other way.

As an important distinction, my claims about the whole MAJIC business do not and are not intended to dispute the existence of extraterrestrials or U.S. government contact with extraterrestrials. About that, I truly do not know.

If you are both intrepid and unfortunate enough to have made it this far through this questionable magnum opus of vague self-description and possible self-deception, I'll close with these thoughts:

- A government that is trusted cannot be trusted.

- Deception is as old as warfare.

- Imitation is the sincerest form of mastery.

- In information warfare, words are bullets and ideas are bombs.

- The purpose of education is not to inspire creativity, but to produce orthodoxy.

- If you are in a position to do more harm than good, do nothing.

- The only rights you have are the rights you can defend.

- When observation opposes theory, it's time to revisit theory.

- Prophecy and politics don't mix well.

- Anyone who seeks to take power away from you is not doing so for your own good.

- Knowledge is power. Ignorance is surrender.

It is my wish that I have given you some insights by way of my not-so-brief introduction, and hopefully some perspective regarding where I am coming from when I post in the forums. Remember that I come here first and foremost to learn, and hope never to fail in my quest to discover wondrous knew things with an open mind.

Finally, I pray that all my colleagues here will remember that whatever our differences on various topics or philosophies may be, I do respect your opinions and your right to them, even if they are laughably, patently and glaringly wrong.

Your pal, a simple observer and no one of consequence,

Majic, Fl.D., K.S.F.
-=o=-

"Brevity is the soul of wit." -- Polonius, Hamlet

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   
A belated welcome to you sir.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Thanks and a pleasure to be here. Let the clinking of cocktail glasses begin!

Nothing like plastering 8k of text into the forum to greet well-wishers.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Always nice to get to know people.

Hope you'll enjoy our preferred method of slow broiling each other over direct flame grilling. Everyone still gets a nice healthy tan though.

Nice touch btw...

Originally posted by Majic
"Brevity is the soul of wit." -- Polonius, Hamlet

Keep up the good work.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Majic,

You are a man of honor and reason. Glad to debate you once.

I have not introduced myself also. I am from China and studied in US for many years.

My participation in ATS is to aquaint with American friends, and promote US people's understanding of China, and let my american friends know China is not the old and weak communist anymore, but have adopted ideas and methods from the West to promote the living standard of all Chinese people.

I want to let my American people know that there should be No war between our two great nations, and that Taiwan was and is part of China.

War will destroy both US and China, while Peace will prosper our two beloved nations.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Welcome aboard, Majic. You presented a most unique introduction, my compliments!

For our Chinese friend, zcheng... it would be good if you created a thread, I would be curious as to several matters concerning China and US relations.

I want to let my American people know that there should be No war between our two great nations, and that Taiwan was and is part of China

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   
zcheng: Very well met. The honor is mine, and it is always a pleasure to promote any form of understanding.

Your words regarding China will not fall on deaf ears with me.

I am reminded of prior relations between the U.S. and Russia, and how, in the end, the most important thing in improving them turned out to be simply getting to know each other better.

I am confident that as communication between Chinese and Americans becomes easier and more common, that we will see a similar improvement in relations between our peoples and nations as a whole. And that is something I very much look forward to.

I know, have met, speak and correspond with many people from Asia, including people of Hong Kong, China, Japan, Korea, Singapore and Taiwan. Each has their own opinion, as do their respective leaders, and they are rarely in harmony. What I know of east Asian politics is vastly outweighed by what I don't know, but I know enough to know that they are complex and not without strife.

There is no doubt in my mind that despite our mutual desires, there will be trouble between America and China, just as there has been trouble between America and Russia, or heck, Europe for that matter. Trying times are already upon both our nations, though our economies are so closely tied and we draw together in so many ways.

It is not lost on me that U.S. involvement in Chinese affairs is no more appreciated in China than Chinese involvement in U.S. affairs is appreciated in America, and it will take many years before our nations reach agreement and equilibrium in their affairs. Such are the ways of nations.

Dark times may loom ahead for us both, but I am hopeful that ultimately, through wisdom and understanding, our nations and peoples may share a bright future together.

I look forward to much discussion on many topics with you.

Sincerest regards,

Majic

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 10:47 PM
link   
RANT: Remember, I am a reformed flamer. I need to get the memo to donguillermo, lest I suffer an unfortunate relapse and fill the threads with the sulfrous, unrelenting fires of dialectic doom.

Meanwhile, I'll look forward to many pithy exchanges and try to take my spankings like a man.

Journey: Thanks for the compliments, I can never get enough.

As for unique, well, that's me.

Edit: Gotta get those smileys ju-u-ust right.

[edit on 7/24/2004 by Majic]

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I love your quote from Polonius there. That was one of the funniest quotes of the play :-)

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 10:52 PM
link   
The irony of quoting it at the end of such a huge monologue was irresistable.

Especially in light of the context in which Polonius makes that brief but memorable remark.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Thanks for the intro, Majic. Although a relative newcomer, I recognize the handle of one of the more prolific posters. I look forward to interacting.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Hi Majic
Tin foil hats are 5$ each welcome to ats
have fun cya around
se7en

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Hi Majic!!

WOW - now that's what I call an Introduction!!

I'm sure your posts will be extremely interesting and I certainly look forward to reading them - please go and check out the Debate Forum if you haven't already - your skills will be most wlecomed there, esteemed Sir!!

Best wishes to you and yours

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Hi, Majic. Welcome to ATS.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majic

I have been computing in one form or another for a very long time, dating back to card readers and magtape.

Card readers, paper tape, mag tape ... I realised that I was getting old when I visited a science museum, saw a punch card machine sitting the corner and realised that it was the very first one I had ever used !
It's enough to drive a pixy to

Welcome, Majic

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Thanks one and all for the kind welcome.

And a hearty shake of the cane to Pisky, ya whippersnapper.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Nice intro Majic! I am looking forward to your posts. It's always nice to read good posts like yours.

BR

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Well spoken

Majic,

I am new to this forum and have stated no opinion as of yet. This is my first one:

You are a very well written gentleman. Whether or not everything you stated was true, or somewhat embellished, I found myself enjoying the dialog. Then I realized, "This is exactly what he wanted me to be thinking when he wrote this."

Kudos to you - and I look forward to debating with you and bouncing opinions off of you.

BR

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Majic

I am somewhat new to ATS myself, I followed most of the eruption on the thread about "Bush Lies"...had me laughing a couple of times.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm looking forward to reading more of your work.

Muck

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   
duncanidaho: Any friend of House Atreides is a friend of mine. Compliments never required, but always admired.

BR: I like the way you think. Trust no one, suspect everyone.

muckminer: A pleasure. As for the "Bush Lies" thread, it certainly makes for an interesting case study, and seems to highlight elements of the classic literary struggle, complete with all the archetypes.

Faced with the endless chorus of taunts from his evil nemesis Don Guillermo, Majic tries vainly not to take his dusty old flamethrower down from its place above the mantlepiece and thereby fall into his old ways. Desperately, he covers his ears, struggling not to be dragged back into the abyss.

Looking heavenward, he appeals to the gods for intervention or guidance. Will he overcome the temptation, or fall into darkness? We anxiously await the denouement, unknowing of its outcome.

The central literary device is that Don Guillermo and Majic are mirrors of one another, more alike than different, each driven by a self-destructive hunger for divine justice, and thus destined to remain locked in a deadly embrace throughout all eternity. Or are they?

Tune in next thread...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join