Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Hey ATS : Strange Moon-Like Object or just Moon ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Hello there, this is my first topic here on ATS. My name is Chris and I would like to share with you something really interesting that occured to me today. I would like to say at first that I don't know if I am right or wrong but I just want your help to find it out. So, today at 8:30 PM (Location : Greece/Crete) I stared at the nighty sky with my friends and what we saw was something like the moon but, there were two strange things with it.

Here's a photo :

The strange things (in my opinion) were that :
The object (moon?) was starting to be white from the bottom , instead of right or left. (Did us or the moon ronate or something ? ). I checked out a website for the moon's phrase and that was what I got :

but the moon here was like it was ronated by -π/2 rads (I mean the light was not in the right place) , for example :

The second "strange" one was that the object (moon?) was very close to where the sun was before 1-2 hours.
How can this happend ?
edit on 5-4-2011 by DexCS because: misunderstanding

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
hey welcome to ats.the moon is "sideways" sometimes. im not sure of the technical reason, but its normal, first time i saw it like that was in mexico, then it was like that here in Canada a month or so ago.

and your picture is most likely the moon but someone else should know better than me here.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DexCS

A careful observer will certainly notice that over the period of months, the crescent of the Moon does indeed seem to go from being lit on the "bottom" of the Moon to being lit on the side of the Moon. So what is happening to make the Moon look different? It is all a result of the Moon's orbit around the Earth, and the Earth's orbit around the Sun. And exactly when you see the Moon in the shape of a 'U' (lit on the bottom) rather than a backward 'C' (lit on the side) depends on what latitude you are at. But the explanation is the same regardless of when you see it from your location. We see the Moon in the night sky because it is reflecting light from the Sun. The Moon does not generate any light of its own. So the lit part of the Moon always points toward the Sun. Now as you can see in the diagram, as the Earth travels aroound the Sun, the tilt of the Earth on its axis sometimes points the northern hemisphere toward the Sun and sometimes points the southern hemisphere toward the Sun. This is why we have seasons here on Earth. But this also changes the apparent path of the Moon across the night sky when you are on the Earth looking out at it. Sometimes it travels at an angle toward the horizon and sometimes it travels straight down toward the horizon. When the crescent Moon travels straight down toward the horizon, you will get the 'U' shaped Moon. Many describe this as when the 'horns' of the Moon point upward. This can happen once or twice a year, again depending on the latitude of your location.

And this as well because I find it interesting and I hope you do as well...

This change in the appearance of the Moon has been observed for a very long time. And many conflicting definitions have been given to these lunar appearances. Some ancient skywatchers spoke of the crescent Moon when the bottom seems to be lit as the "wet moon". They thought it looked like a bowl which could fill up with the rain and snow of the winter season. In Hawaiian astrology, Kaelo the Water Bearer rules from January 20 - February 18. According to the Hawaiian Calendar, Kaelo is the "Dripping Wet Moon" month. However, many other cultures have defined the Moon when lit on the bottom as the "dry moon" since in that configuration, the Moon is "holding in the water". As winter passes into spring and summer, the crescent shape slowly shifts toward the south and begins to "stand on its end". To some ancients, this represented the Moon assuming a pouring position in which it will lose its water and result in the great summer rains. The result was the creation of a "dry moon", one which held no water because it all poured out. On the other hand, other cultures said that such a moon is a wet moon because it allowed the water to pour out!

So it is just a natural occurrence. There was a thread a short time ago on ATS featuring the same concerns. The web lights up with this sort of thing every time this effect is seen.
Have a good day.

Here is a link to the original material that I have posted...starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov...

edit on 5-4-2011 by Frater210 because: Meritocracy

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Thanks a lot , now I understand what happens here.
For a time my question sounded really weird to me

But it's really fun to find out how our world works...
edit on 5-4-2011 by DexCS because: (no reason given)
edit on 5-4-2011 by DexCS because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DexCS

Yes it is! Big time. I think it is the best thing that there is; learning how the world works. I have also been fortunate to get lots of help learning here at ATS. Welcome, DexCS.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Thanks.
I have been reading ATS Threads like 2-3 years now. But I just didn't want to make any account.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DexCS

Thats not the moon, thats the stinkin Cheshire Cat smiling down on you.

You better watch out, those things are always trouble.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by DexCS

Hello DexCS

Just wanted to show you that the link you looked up for the 'moon phase' is correct in that it is giving you the correct moon phase, new crescent moon. Moon phase calculators do not give the orientation of the moon though so all moon phase calendar, are going to give you the general image of the most usual new moon crescent orientation which is on the side of the moon.

This can be confusing because people look at these moon phase calendars and see the side crescent moon shape thinking that this is displaying what the moon will look like in the sky when its really only displaying the 'phase' of the moon, not orientation.

You can look at what part of the moon is being lit up and pretty much get a idea of where the Sun sits, in orientation to the Moon.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Holy Sh*t, here we go again........
There are several threads on ATS describing what you have seen but for every person whose eyes have opened there are ten who deny the truth. What you have seen is not normal and as soon as you saw it you knew it was wrong. What puzzles me is how quickly people let go of the issue, someone argues it's normal and just like that it's over. Frankly I think you should be insulted, you saw something so profound it drove you to post this but there are several detractors who are basically calling you an idiot.
Here are just a few of the links where others have seen the same thing, there are THOUSANDS of us out there so obviously there is some truth to this matter.
Link connecting upturned crescent to Nibiru...
www.darkstar1.co.uk...
Old Farmer Almanac with Moon phases for every month, none are lit from the bottom...
www.almanac.com...
Video showing possible link to pole shift on earth...
polarreversal.com...
Moon watch site with current, past and future phases..........
moongiant.com...
One of MANY you tube videos on the subject, to the right are several others.
www.youtube.com...
In conclusion let me just state that any argument that states "it's normal, you just never noticed before" can be dismissed with this simple truth. If we just never noticed BEFORE, why the hell would we notice anything unusual NOW/

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Trublbrwing

This is a great post. I want to confess to the OP that although I provided a ready explanation it does not mean that what you are seeing is normal. I posted what I did above because I wanted to be the 'sensible' guy on the spot with the info. But as this poster is telling you; it doesn't mean that something is not up with the moon. I am just not able, at this point in my ATS careering, to really give a fully informed and thorough run down on this phenomenon and what it means. You will notice that I posted material from somewhere else. I admit I was a little chagrined about that after I left the post. I wish that I could have just spewed it all out from memory.
So anyway. There is my confessional. I believe the info provided does inform, but if you are experiencing something strange in relation to the moon then that is what is really most interesting. The Moon gives me the willies on a regular basis. You can't go wrong in terms of education and entertainment by learning everything you can about the moon.
So maybe the saying on ATS might go; 'Trust In Fellow Members But Tether Your Camel'

Here you are...Just so you do not think you are alone

edit on 5-4-2011 by Frater210 because: Visual Aids

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trublbrwing
Holy Sh*t, here we go again........
There are several threads on ATS describing what you have seen but for every person whose eyes have opened there are ten who deny the truth. What you have seen is not normal and as soon as you saw it you knew it was wrong. What puzzles me is how quickly people let go of the issue, someone argues it's normal and just like that it's over. Frankly I think you should be insulted, you saw something so profound it drove you to post this but there are several detractors who are basically calling you an idiot.
Here are just a few of the links where others have seen the same thing, there are THOUSANDS of us out there so obviously there is some truth to this matter.
Link connecting upturned crescent to Nibiru...
www.darkstar1.co.uk...
Old Farmer Almanac with Moon phases for every month, none are lit from the bottom...
www.almanac.com...
Video showing possible link to pole shift on earth...
polarreversal.com...
Moon watch site with current, past and future phases..........
moongiant.com...
One of MANY you tube videos on the subject, to the right are several others.
www.youtube.com...
In conclusion let me just state that any argument that states "it's normal, you just never noticed before" can be dismissed with this simple truth. If we just never noticed BEFORE, why the hell would we notice anything unusual NOW/

The phases of the moon (shown in moon calendars and almanacs ect) is not the same thing as orientation of the moon to the sun and earth.

What 'moon phase' is....does not give you which side of the moon is going to be lit up. It will tell you only the phase, not the orientation.

Sometimes the Sun and Moon are both on the elliptic path, causing the Sun, when it sets in the western sky, to shine 'upward' to the moon instead of 'by the side' of the moon. Usually the Moon is a bit off of the elliptical path, being a few degrees to the 'side' of the Sun after conjunction (dark moon phase).

The only reason people like you are freaking about such things is because you dont understand that places that show you what moon phase it is does not give you the orientation of the moon, to the sun and earth. If you knew that, you would not be posting the information from places that ONLY show the moon phase.

The current moon phase is a 1 day old 'new crescent moon'. This means it will be low in the western sky and only a very slight degree of it will be lit because its so close to the Sun right now and the moon will follow the setting sun into the western horizon.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
www.space.com...

This article was posted for February's moon but it still explains what is going on.

The first thing to notice about tonight's moon (Feb. 9) is its orientation. For observers in the northern hemisphere, the terminator is almost horizontal, rather than the vertical orientation shown in most books.

Despite recent videos on YouTube, there is nothing unusual about this. It is caused by the angle which the moon’s orbit makes with the horizon at this time of year, so that the moon appears to be lit from below. Think for a moment about where the sun is located, and you’ll realize that the moon’s orientation makes complete sense.

I made a thread, before this one was made, about all of this....because I knew that it would be brought up again since we are again, at the time of 'new crescent moon' phase and since the orientation of the Sun and earth to the moon are set up to make a 'smiling moon'...I knew this topic would be brought up again.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeoVirgo
reply to post by DexCS

Hello DexCS

Just wanted to show you that the link you looked up for the 'moon phase' is correct in that it is giving you the correct moon phase, new crescent moon. Moon phase calculators do not give the orientation of the moon though so all moon phase calendar, are going to give you the general image of the most usual new moon crescent orientation which is on the side of the moon.

This can be confusing because people look at these moon phase calendars and see the side crescent moon shape thinking that this is displaying what the moon will look like in the sky when its really only displaying the 'phase' of the moon, not orientation.

You can look at what part of the moon is being lit up and pretty much get a idea of where the Sun sits, in orientation to the Moon.

Well, well. How nice of you to leave your own moon propoganda thread to come here and debunk this one. The way you folks latch onto these discussions like a pit bull on a chicken bone is amazing, it goes way beyond what someone with no vested interest would consider reasonable.
I find it interesting that you cite the starchild site as a point of reference, back in May of 2010 that was the mysterious site that was linked to EVERY single web search related to this anomoly.
By the way, I love your statement that moon phase calendars are only an indication of the "shape" of the crescent and not it's actual position. Perhaps a disclaimer at the bottom of each moon calendar would be in order? I suppose once the pole shift hits high gear and the plates under the ocean move we can add that disclaimer to our atlas as well.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Well, well. How nice of you to leave your own moon propoganda thread to come here and debunk this one. The way you folks latch onto these discussions like a pit bull on a chicken bone is amazing, it goes way beyond what someone with no vested interest would consider reasonable. I find it interesting that you cite the starchild site as a point of reference, back in May of 2010 that was the mysterious site that was linked to EVERY single web search related to this anomoly. By the way, I love your statement that moon phase calendars are only an indication of the "shape" of the crescent and not it's actual position. Perhaps a disclaimer at the bottom of each moon calendar would be in order? I suppose once the pole shift hits high gear and the plates under the ocean move we can add that disclaimer to our atlas as well.

I made my thread before this one was made KNOWING that someone would bring this up again just as it was brought up last month.

I love the way you totally ignore the meaning of what 'moon phase' is and totally ignore that orientation of the moon has its own definition. Why would every moon phase calendar have a disclaimer that it does not give orientation of the moon when its called MOON PHASE calendar?

Moon phase calculators are just that...they show you how much of the moon is going to be illuminated.

Just a little googling and researching some definitions would do you some good.

Why do you wish to remain ignorant to logical explanations? Is it just more exciting for you to think that there must be some mystery here or a conspiracy here>

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

I find it interesting that you cite the starchild site as a point of reference, back in May of 2010 that was the mysterious site that was linked to EVERY single web search related to this anomoly.

This is great stuff. I would like to hear more about it if there is more to tell.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frater210

This is great stuff. I would like to hear more about it if there is more to tell.

There are plenty of astronomy sites that explain this. He just cant stand the idea that this is not some mysterious anomaly that screams SOMETHING IS WRONG OMG.

There are plenty of places to learn about this.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

Both videos you posted only show that those makers of the videos dont understand the moons orientation to the sun and earth.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

Thank you for the response. I just wanted to make sure that there was nothing I missed. It seems to me that one factor to consider is that it seems every time the moon looks like this (as it has in the very recent past) threads like this start to pop up. That is why I was ready to go with the image up top; I had it waiting in my photo pile at ATS. Anyhow, thanks again. Looks like the StarChild site is sufficient.

P.S. I am a Libra-Virgo
edit on 5-4-2011 by Frater210 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frater210

Here is the "Readers Digest" version........
May 2010 was the first time I saw the upturned crescent moon aka wet moon aka cheshire cat moon. I was with a group of people and everyone in that group said they had never seen it before.
That evening and for several nights after, I searched the internet for news of this phenomenon using various search engines and key words. I found several posts on blogs and alternative news sites, the MSM had no coverage.
Multiple blogs had posts like "what's up with the moon" and "why is the moon on it's back". below virtually every one of these posts was a response indicating this happens all the time and a link to the starchild web site. Every one of these responses contained similar wording and in some cases were word for word the same despite different user names. It is my opinion all came from the same individual or individuals.
Almost one year has passed and the number of people asking questions has diminished because now it really does happen all the time.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by DexCS

was looking at the moon vids getting uploaded on here..all of them are fake ..for that to happen the sun would have moved ending all life in our solar system..here is a link on moon cycles www.google.co.uk...:&imgrefurl=http://www.moonrealestate.com.au/phas es_of_the_moon.htm&ei=IPqcTYr7D9HssgaCvY2ABg&zoom=1

top topics

<<   2 >>

join