It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taking Back the Power of the People

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
As I sit back watching the rights of the people dwindling down to the bare minimum, I began to contemplate what it would take to take back our say as people. Limiting my serious thought to a peaceful way to regain our rights, I have found a few very good ideas, but the Government is rapidly closing these "Loop holes". It is almost as if they are forcing us to a non peaceful approach to regaining our rights. This is an ancient concept. All Foundations are built on conflict and violence.

I then began to contemplate the reasons people do not stand up for themselves and the rights of the people.
I came to the conclusion that it is the deterrent of retribution from the Government. Currently there is ONE person that controls our Military Services. That person is the current President. Yes, Congress has a say, but with all the new "Executive Orders" this power essentially is limited to the President, as the President is the "Commander and Chief'. I have no issues with the President having the power to command as this is a major part of the job. What I have issues with is that enacting the Military Services for specific purposes remains within the Government Corporation. The people fear the Government because of this control. The problem is, the people should not fear their Government. It is the Government that should fear the people, and as long as the Government has complete control of the Military Services this will never happen.

My proposal is simple, Take back the usage of the Military Services and place it to popular vote. If the Government wishes to use the Military Services it must be brought to the people, for any reason, outside the defense of our homeland and territories. Evidence must be supplied to the people from both, for and against, before going into conflict outside this defense. This includes the declaration of Martial Law upon U.S. citizens. The President still retains the power to say how it is done, but would no longer have the power to declare without the peoples vote. Emergency voting can be established within a week and announced via mass media. A special debate can be set up within 3 days and the people vote their decisions based upon this debate or their own opinion of the situation. I believe this will force the people to do their own research rather than simply taking the word of a politician, who as we all understand have their own agendas.

I believe that this step may force the Government to stand under the peoples rights rather than the other way around and because of this the Government is forced to work for the people and their interests rather than the interest of big Corporation.

Thank you for visiting this thread, I now open to your opinion and comments.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

I have a few questions:

What 'rights' have you lost? A fair question to your opening statement that we have been stripped down to our 'bare rights'. For me it is logical to want to know what rights were lost and what rights are our 'bare rights'?

Your concerns over certain executive orders are misguided. It is not executive orders that have transferred some military power to the president. It was our very own 'popular vote' Congress that has abdicated that duty with their 1973 veto override of the War Powers Resolution. It is also the abdication of the People that have allowed that resolution to remain intact. Good job folks!

Speaking of popular vote, get on your representative to and put pressure on the very act that has allowed every president since Nixon's veto was defeated in 1973 to commit our armed forces where ever we have perceived a 'threat'.

Even more ironically is Nixon gets a bad rap but here he tried to veto the very thing that would continue the Imperialistic expansion of the United States...and he's the bad guy for being stupid and breaking into the Democratic headquarters....

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Valid points thank you.

Our basic right to "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness". According to The Constitution we have the right to do anything we wish as long as it does not hurt another or their property. Almost every Statute limits this basic right. The problem is that people nitpick the meaning of this and attempt to control those outside of their personal beliefs. Thus the limitation of the basic rights. For example, in most places We are not permitted to live off the land. We must have services by law, this is an infringement of the basic laws of personal choice. Statues should never have been instituted as they are violations of the Constitution. All lawyers, judges, civil employees, and politicians must take an oath to the Crown Temple as a company and all work for said company instead of the people it( the Constitution) was set up to represent.

YES the people ARE responsible for the position we are in because of poor decisions made from the lack of evidence or available information but we live in different times now. Because of the internet and better communication and information gathering we as a people are better equipt to make the change ourselves instead of putting it in the hands of people who are paying off a dept to contributors of their campaign.

The power to control the people must be put back into their hands(IMO) and out of the hands of Government or business. I believe that in order to do this we must first limit their (Government) ability to cause fear in the people in the form of Military deterrents.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

I am highly pleased you understood I was engaging you in discussion. Many on these boards would have taken it as an attack on their OP. To that thank you!

It is my contention that acts such as the War Powers Resolution would cease if we repeal the 17th and replace with a modified original intent within the Constitution. Reason being is this brings the states back into play at the Federal level. I believe bringing them back in would strip the Federal government of so much power they would never allow such a repeal and/or replacement occur. Power begets more power and will do anything to retain it.

The people have more control over state and local politics than they do Federal. Bringing the states back into the equation would guide the people (at a time in which as you have stated, with more communication, want to be more involved in their Republic) to pay attention to local and state elections. The elections that affect their lives the most. The elections we as a whole typically ignore and cast aside because it is 'peanuts' compared to the big show.

I believe that while we take different approaches at bringing power back into the hands of the people, we have to same goal. You see the military and where its command lies as the major problem while I see the consolidation of power at the Federal (Nearly Central) level as being the largest threat. Overall, the pendulum must swing back in the direction of the people....always has, always will.

To Freedom!

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

THAT is one of the biggest reasons why I am at ATS. The discussion of the situations we as a people are in and the change to overcome centralized power. Thank You for joining in.

Technically the Federal Government has no Jurisdiction outside of Washington D.C., it is the States responsibility to regulate Central Governmental power. However the problem is that the people do not realize this and look to the Federal Government to fix it instead of the individual State, and the State relies on the decisions of the Federal Government way too much. Texas has attempted and is attempting now, if I am not mistaken, to secede from the Nation when in actuality all they have to do is limit Federal Government Jurisdiction. This is why the States are being ASKED to comply with a national I.D. card, not TOLD to accept.

I definitely accept what you are saying and you are correct, however, with the fact that WE as a people have the right to insurrection, yet any attempt will be met with force by the Federal Government in the attempt to maintain POLITICAL control, by removing the power of the President to declare Martial Law, in order to keep the people compliant, is our first step. We must remove the threat of retaliation for wanting change, before change can take place. Not to mention our economy has been greatly effected be the Federal Government investing itself in overseas wars for the benefit of business at the cost of the people.
edit on 5-4-2011 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join