It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There will be another smiling moon-

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeoVirgo
reply to post by Trublbrwing

I'm puzzled. When exactly did you make the quantum leap of knowledge from casual observer to astonomer? Now you have diagrams and a better than average insight into the workings of the galaxy?

I love astronomy. Anyone can use astronomy programs.

You obviously have a problem with the fact that this might not be something mysterious and you wish to cling to the idea that it absolutely MUST be unexplainable.

Im sorry you have such issues.

A little studying can help you understand the workings of the earth, sun, and moon.

You might as well not bother arguing with Trublbrwing. He/She is obviously your typical conspiracy/doomsday nut that will cling to their irrational belief no matter how much evidence to the contrary is provided.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trublbrwing
reply to post by LeoVirgo

Finally we are on the same page as you admit the smiling moon is unusual. Look, I don't know you, you're probably a very nice person and I'm sure you believe what you are saying. I have had this debate with many people over the last few months and my goal is not to change YOUR perception, it is to keep others from ignoring something important because you tell them it's normal.
This smiling moon is now staring back at me with alarming frequency, it was unusual in May of 2010, it is common in April of 2011, it was there last night and it will happen again in May.

As long as you understand that when I say unusual, meaning its not the most common crescent moon we see. Its not an anomaly and its not abnormal. Usually, I wake up and have coffee. Sometimes though, I like a cold glass of milk when I wake up. Is it unusual that I have milk in the morning? Well yes, considering that most of the time I have coffee.

Even ancient cultures made images of the smiling crescent moon. Its not something 'new'. Slowly through the next few months we will see our 'normal crescent' begin to show itself, with the sunlight shining more and more to the side of the moon then the bottom.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Finally we are on the same page as you admit the smiling moon is unusual. Look, I don't know you, you're probably a very nice person and I'm sure you believe what you are saying. I have had this debate with many people over the last few months and my goal is not to change YOUR perception, it is to keep others from ignoring something important because you tell them it's normal.
This smiling moon is now staring back at me with alarming frequency, it was unusual in May of 2010, it is common in April of 2011, it was there last night and it will happen again in May.

As long as you understand that when I say unusual, meaning its not the most common crescent moon we see. Its not an anomaly and its not abnormal. Usually, I wake up and have coffee. Sometimes though, I like a cold glass of milk when I wake up. Is it unusual that I have milk in the morning? Well yes, considering that most of the time I have coffee.

Even ancient cultures made images of the smiling crescent moon. Its not something 'new'. Slowly through the next few months we will see our 'normal crescent' begin to show itself, with the sunlight shining more and more to the side of the moon then the bottom.

I would caution you on referencing ancient cultures and the depiction of a smiling crescent moon as it is almost always associated with something sinister or catastrophic.
Something woud have to make a pretty big impression on you to carve it into rock.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

I would caution you on referencing ancient cultures and the depiction of a smiling crescent moon as it is almost always associated with something sinister or catastrophic.
Something woud have to make a pretty big impression on you to carve it into rock.

They carved all sorts of things of the sky and they worshiped many things in the sky. They kept track of cycles and phases. It was called the 'horned moon' instead of the 'smiling moon'. I have not ever seen any ancient cultures associating it with doom like people are today. There is no reason for you to say what you are saying about sinister or catastrophic.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Edit for double post
edit on 6-4-2011 by LeoVirgo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I took this photo last year on or about July 5th. I had recently purchased a telescope and used my cellphone to take a picture of the moon. It's nothing special but it show's how it is lit from my location. I have also included a picture from Stellarium showing how the moon will be lit tommorow. I've never noticed a "smiling" moon before so I'm going to check it out for sure. Maybe I'll be able to get a decent photo of it.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ThaLoccster

If you look on stellarium, you can notice why the moon is smiling for the sun and the moon are setting pretty much in the exact same place on the horizon. Most of the time, the moon is sitting a bit to the left of where the sun sets so we see the side crescent.

Now, go back in time on stellarium. Look at other years in the spring in the west when the moon and sun are close together and see if you can find similar settings of them being in a line (one under the other). Then fast forward through the months and watch how they through the summer get 'out of line' which in turn, the sun sets a bit to the side of the moons location.

What this is is the elliptic path tilting to the perspective of earths horizon through the seasons. As it sits vertical, we see the bottom crescent. As it sits diagonal, we will mostly see the side crescent. On stellarium you can click on a button on the side tools and there will be a place you can click to 'show the elliptic line'. This is a good tool for through the months when fast forwarding you can see in the west how this line changes from vertical to diagonal and back to vertical ect ect.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
www.idialstars.com...

However, the tilt of the ecliptic in the early evening sky doesn't remain constant throughout the year. The ecliptic swings highest in the evening sky on late winter and early spring evenings. In other words, when you're looking westward on a late winter/early spring evening, the ecliptic tilts most steeply to the horizon, intersecting it at almost a right angle. Keep in mind that the lunar crescent always runs perpendicularly relative to the plane of the ecliptic. So on late winter/early spring evenings, the thin lunar crescent comes closest to being horizonal because that's when the ecliptic comes closest to becoming vertical.

The young lunar crescent closest to the spring equinox always appears boat-shaped. At other times of the year - most notably in late summer and early autumn - the "Cheshire cat" smile of the young crescent appears most askew, looking like a backwards "C". Why does the "lunar boat" appear near the time of the spring equinox and the backwards "C" around the time of a Northern Hemisphere autumn equinox? In short, it's because of the changing tilt of the ecliptic.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Information from the book 'secrets of the night sky' by bob berman (1995) a well known astronomer....

www.almanac.com...

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
A great site to figure in your location and day of month. You can freeze the day and time to see what the orientation of the Sun will be to the Moon from your location.

www.math.nus.edu.sg...

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

They carved all sorts of things of the sky and they worshiped many things in the sky. They kept track of cycles and phases. It was called the 'horned moon' instead of the 'smiling moon'. I have not ever seen any ancient cultures associating it with doom like people are today. There is no reason for you to say what you are saying about sinister or catastrophic.

Really?
This link will prove you wrong yet again..............
www.darkstar1.co.uk...
Now go buy some fruit rollups and put them into your printer, print that last post, and eat your words.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Cloudy here today, so no smiling moon for me

Maybe tomorrow.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

So please quote for me from that link where the horned moon or smiling moon meant something catastrophic.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

So please quote for me from that link where the horned moon or smiling moon meant something catastrophic.

You can lead a horse to water but you can not make it drink.
I believe the text of that article is self explanatory.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Saw the moon last night, smiling at me
It appeared slightly hihger on the right side a the above picture

top topics

<< 1   >>

join