It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Facebook dead yet?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I have an account i have had it a while but i only up till recently had about 3 friends
cos i said it was just DATA MINING but i added another 2 the other week when i
got a request and its just started to snowball out of control.

I am sick of getting requests everytime i open my email. i may shut my account.
i do not say anything there anyway.all i have read is just stupid comments.

and a lot of facebook fights from the women it seems to me!
I felt like i was missing out on it but i was wrong! i should not of gone back.

I also think it (well social networks) have killed the art of dating like it used to be.
none of this online flirting what happened to just chatting a person up face to face?
and i have had friends say they think there partners are messin around with other people
cos of it and there is no trust in there relationship anymore now.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
The fact that any of you are worried about what other people do outside of your immediate circle is disturbing. Who cares who uses Facebook? As if it's anymore "polluting" to the mind than daytime television or the internet in general. Facebook is a good communication tool between you and yours. Sure I don't agree w/ people who stay on farmville for hours at a time but hey, to each their own. Get out of that communist attitude where you think you know what's best for other people. It's not directly harming you is it? I'm sure each and every one of you have a hobby or w/e you want to call it that a large group of people somewhere won't agree with, or call a waste of time. Put this energy towards something more useful, not facebook.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by stealthyaroura

Funny story.
I am a guy age 38. I took my Facebook profile picture and replaced it with a very young attractive girls photo. Within 2 days I had over 100 friend requests from people I never met before (not just men either).
Ya think these idiots would have realized my name was Anthony.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

if you guys dont have friends, its understandable to why you dont have a facebook.

In contrast to...if you have facebook, it's understandable why you have friends.

at least facebook is pretty

Then maybe I should hit on it. What's facebook's favorite drink?

Fakebook and other social networking sites are stealing the substance out of the human experience and redirecting energies into the electronic experience...

All about dehumanizing people, losing the human touch and giving up privacy. You know, stuff that a police state is made up of.

As much as i dislike all the stupid status updates, that site is more than just a teen trend, it's being used to promote all kinds of businesses,

Yet another excellent reason to avoid facebook like the plague...

Personally speaking, I'd be much more inclined join an anti-social network, as I generally don't like other people anyway. We could "foe" each other, "dislike" stuff, and spend as little time there as possible each day....now THERE'S a good idea for a website.

I don't know whether to give you a
or a thumbs
for this idea.

I've read plenty of online articles about players obsession with WOW, violent war games, shooter simulations with graphic depictions, games that glorify lawlessness and ultra-violence and other games, and I wonder why people would play those.

Maybe because war games are a lot more fun than playing a game where you pretend to be a farmer.
edit on 5-4-2011 by SphinxMontreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
They say that every cloud has a silver lining.....

If we had a huge CME that wiped out all the internet & cell phones maybe we could all get back to normal.
I would welcome no cell service, internet & electricity.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

I've read plenty of online articles about players obsession with WOW, violent war games, shooter simulations with graphic depictions, games that glorify lawlessness and ultra-violence and other games, and I wonder why people would play those.

I think I heard this in a movie, but how else do you expect our kids to get educated now a days!

If anything I think they should make them more violent, more realistic. Hyper realism has nothing to do with how people will react in real life situations. Anyone who plays hard core games would know this.

Funny there was a thread about a company that sells virtual girlfriends on Facebook, posted a few days ago. So by this rational would having a virtual girlfriend prepare you for a real relationship? I think not!
edit on 4/5/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TriForce

It is exactly how I feel too.

I was on there for about 3 mos. and never went back. That reminds me, I need to close out my account.
edit on 5-4-2011 by ellieN because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-4-2011 by ellieN because: Needless chatter!!

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Ear-Responsible

no i fully agree i too find it disturbing i even felt like i needed to fit in cos all
i was hearing was do you have a facebook account.

really not my style at all. now its like a double edged sword. think im just gonna
leave it alone. i did for over a year and i did not have any pressure to be part of the dam thing.
funny but it has started to stress me a little, just not my style.im a face to face guy or a tex guy.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mwood

What is normal? You're saying you'd be ok w/ us getting thrown back into the dark ages? Yea, that's normal

edit on 5-4-2011 by Ear-Responsible because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

funny i can well believe it though.
no its not for me, not my style. to much like hard work and just feels false.
I do not need to be worrying that i only have X amount of friends and i am not
going to be pressured into accepting friends that are just aqwaintences.

cos thats what i feel its doing just giving me stress.jeez im 38 i dont need this facebook thing.
I am not that insecure. and i dont want the attention. its just not me i guess.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by stealthyaroura

no i fully agree i too find it disturbing i even felt like i needed to fit in cos all
i was hearing was do you have a facebook account.

really not my style at all. now its like a double edged sword. think im just gonna
leave it alone. i did for over a year and i did not have any pressure to be part of the dam thing.
funny but it has started to stress me a little, just not my style.im a face to face guy or a tex guy.

And that's perfectly ok too, some things are just not for some people. I do have a Facebook. I do not spend large amounts of time on it, I do not use any apps on it, I do not spend hours communicating w/ people. I use it to spread a message. I have 300+ friends on my Facebook and I've gotta tell ya, if it weren't for me and my constant "liking" and "sharing" of the topics we love to discuss here they would know nothing about what is going on in the world. So I, as opposed to most people in this thread it seems, thank God for social networking sites such as Facebook. It does wonders, in terms of opening up peoples eyes to what is going on around the planet. Sure most people don't use Facebook the way I do, but all it takes is one to affect hundreds.
edit on 5-4-2011 by Ear-Responsible because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Now THAT is a positive that i did think about trying myself,spreading the word.
but then my close friends no my views on such as conspiracy's.
Then a lot dont, no its just not for me. but i like your style.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TriForce

Think of it as a virtual conversation..with people who could really care less.

I've tried to cut back on FB with some success. It all comes down to realizing that everyone on your list can read what you're doing. There's no need to share bowel movements or other mundane things.

I could spend all day on a dozen other websites but Facebook? I tend to only check it once in a while during the day.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Your motives are just! But the messages I wanted to send to people were NOT considered 'acceptable' by the Facebook Nazi's.

And thus is the point, they made the call for what is acceptable or not, based on nothing. And I was following all Facebook rules to the letter like I do here at ATS!
Facebook is a biased site, at least when things are removed here there is a bit of common sense that goes along with the decision. I asked for a proper explanation 5 times without any feedback from them, what will they deem unacceptable next?
I'm surprised they didn't start charging people for special privileges. Oh yea they do!
edit on 4/5/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I started a facebook about 2 years ago just to share pictures with a loved one that was far away. He got to see videos of his child walking for the first time and all the other things he may have otherwise had to wait a few weeks for "snail mail".
However, now my mother has it. My Aunt Susan, Aunt Carol, sister, brothers...cousins I didn't even know they liked me, and countless other people. I add them at first, and eventually weed out the ones who contribute nothing. I have less than 50 friends, however my older sister has over 300 and constantly does the "omfg so this driver cut me off and now I'm p'd off. " and 46 people comment or "like" it.
and very few things that I post actually get commented on...I'm fine with that. At the end of the day, I have pictures from 2 years ago that would otherwise be gone, considering the original computer I had has since bit the dust...
The apps are what really chap my rear. I ended up deleting all apps and blocking requests from anyone who might even think about asking me to send them a bale of hay/fish food. At first it was cute and fun, then I found out people actually pay money to buy fake virtual items...it's ridiculous to me, and off they went. My husband does not have one because he has to have security clearance, and why does he need one now that I have one? We share it, post pics, and mutual friend/families see it.
I have a 16 year old cousin who knows nothing but facebook...it's sad. My sister recently made a profile for her 6 month old son so she could share more pictures....and keep HER page about HER. I have seen people make profiles for dogs, cats....whatever. Just don't ask me to care, and don't get upset when I "unfriend" you! It really irks me that a friends list=real life!!!!

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanna

My husband does not have one because he has to have security clearance

Is there some issue with having security clearance and a Facebook account?

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
It sounds like a lot of you just don't have friends to keep up with lol. Facebook is a platform of communication. Data-farming? Don't put your stupid info out on the internet if you're that worried. But really, who cares if ANYONE knows ANYTHING about you. The vital information about you could easily be figured out if someone wanted to.

This whole topic is like saying video games cause children to be violent and misbehave. NO, bad parents lead to bad children. Facebook is a THING. Not an evil entity trying to find out everything about you.

This # is ridiculous. Conspiracy theorist are worse than self-conscious nerds afraid to go out on the playground.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

It's not recommended to have one. Not because of what he could post, but because of what others could post about him, tag his face in pics, etc etc

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanna

I didn't realize our government took this so seriously.

But I do understand and I still don't get it!

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
This story came across my phone and I thought I would put it out here on this thread. Is Facebook Dead????
Apparently Obama doesn't think so. He's using this as a platform for his 2012 campaign. I like the story on my phone much better than the abc story. So anyone who has an android under the news and weather app (the one with the newspaper logo) it's there or on this website www.mercurynews.com

Obama holding an online town hall meeting on Facebook April 20th Starts at 1:45pm........lol

blogs.abcnews.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join