It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Facebook dead yet?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by notsoperfect

Oh god yes! "They" know I like Chuck, Castle and Iggy and the Stooges now!

The only "privacy" you give up on FB is the privacy you willingly surrender. Nobody knows what I told my daughter the day she had her frist menstrual cycle. Nobody knows what I told my son when I caught him "stealing" legos from his friend.

They only know what I choose to tell them, and what I choose to share, I share out loud. What I choose to keep to myself is mine and mine alone, until someone events "ThoughtBook."

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s
reply to post by notsoperfect

Oh god yes! "They" know I like Chuck, Castle and Iggy and the Stooges now!

The only "privacy" you give up on FB is the privacy you willingly surrender. Nobody knows what I told my daughter the day she had her frist menstrual cycle. Nobody knows what I told my son when I caught him "stealing" legos from his friend.

They only know what I choose to tell them, and what I choose to share, I share out loud. What I choose to keep to myself is mine and mine alone, until someone events "ThoughtBook."

But it IS a thought book:

"So and So likes ____"

"So and So thinks that Walmart is ____"

"Do you think I'm cute?"

"So and so hates ______"

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

And -- again, no one over the age of 12 cares who likes who. No one over the age of 12 cares if "the man" finds out I like "Castle" on TV.

Do you wear tee-shirts with corporate logos on them? Do you advertise for your favorite sports teams, soda-pop, music groups, political parties or candidates, fast food restaurants, or beer brands?

Do you have any bumper-stickers on your car?

What's the difference between that and Facebook?

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s
Do you wear tee-shirts with corporate logos on them? Do you advertise for your favorite sports teams, soda-pop, music groups, political parties or candidates, fast food restaurants, or beer brands?

Do you have any bumper-stickers on your car?

No.

Why would anyone pay to advertise somebody elses product?

If I'm in possession of any crap with logos or slogans on it somebody better be paying me to wear it or vandalize my car with it.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

Umm, many people on ATS ignore posts that are more than a few lines long too.

Lets face it, the average person is not really a deep thinker and hates mental exercise as much or more than physical exercise. But thats not a Facebook issue. Thats a "thanks to many factors natural selection is no longer selecting for intelligence in humans" issue.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Dont wanna be stalked by ex's or old classmates?
privatize your page

Dont like annoying apps?
You can block all requests from them

tired of dumb one line posts?
block them...you dont even have to delete them...just choose to hide their feed

thinking you are so much more evolved with a better sense of self and ego integrity while JUDGING the actions of others in place of having a heart full of compassion and understanding?
Get over yourself

stalkers, government goonies, nosy bosses and pissed off ex's existed way before facebook. Facebook is the WALMART of social networking sites. For every person who loves it or has benefited from it in some way you have the hellfire and brimstone types who proclaim it to be the herald of end times. Riiiiiiiiiight. Sure its Circus Maximus...and its also Speakers corner....and a preacher's pulpit...and a giant soap box. Because I choose my friends carefully I see plenty of feeds involving world issues and personal stories that really get me thinking, or even researching. Case in point...a friend survived "Straight" and is currently posting as much info on past cases and victims as she can. And thats Narcissism? Whatever...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Well, I've only recently found out about the handiness of facebook. It's simple (once you go through hell learning it). That's why I prefer it over most other social sites. However, yes, it definitely is overrated. So, I don't see it dying any time soon with all the super fans. I could press the like button on it, but I'm no where near obsessed. No, Twitter, well, not to bring up an off topic point, but that site is most certainly boring and nearly 100% useless.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

Being 16, of course I have a Facebook. However, I find myself in a small, shrinking minority that only uses Facebook to contact someone if I need to. Occasionally I will check my news feed, but that's usually at the end of the day. Sometimes I see people who post stupid little "send me a number and I will rate you..." things all day and I just feel bad for them. I can't imagine being so addicted to something like Facebook. People send me requests for farmville, mafia war's, etc and I just ignore them because I realize the stupidity of it all.

One question though? Why would you smash your phone? At the very least you could've resold it
. I love my iPhone to the point you may consider me addicted, but I use for good reasons. I refrain from sending thousands of texts (maybe in the hundreds per month), but there only for organzing my after school activities. I use apps to manage my classes, I use the calendar to alert me of upcoming things, I use the internet to research topics, and I use it as a social tool to make people laugh/interact with them sometimes (whether it be a game or a funny app). I also find myself able to play games with people from school when I'm bored and I call people who do have the newer iPhone/iPod Touch through Facetime which is fun.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Yeah, I hope it dies off soon.

I do not have a mobile, facebook, myspace, twitter or anything like that.

I never have used those services, and I don't intend to ever join those services.

I do have instant messaging and email, and that's all I need.

What bothers me most is that everyone just assumes that you have Facebook or something, that everyone has conformed and everyone is the same, and if you're not like the others you must be from Mars.

Another thing that bothers me is a lot of competitions etc say you must go to their Facebook page or something to do whatever the hell they're asking of you. But why? Why must I compromise the integrity of my privacy as a whole, just to get a chance at a competition I could've entered 3 years ago before this ridiculous trend.

Seriously, Facebook is insanely stupid, and it needs to be ridden of.
edit on 6/4/11 by shadowland8 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/4/11 by shadowland8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by StruggleTogether

Due to the amount of abuse I put that phone through, it didn't take much effort to kill it.

In essence I needed a new phone anyway, just chose a simpler route.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum
reply to post by StruggleTogether

Due to the amount of abuse I put that phone through, it didn't take much effort to kill it.

In essence I needed a new phone anyway, just chose a simpler route.

Alright, that makes more sense.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

I'm glad you found something that works for YOU. I'm on facebook, but I don't play silly games on it. I use it for email and networking. I'm an artist by trade, its a great source to update your friends and co workers on new art and to see what my friends are working on and doing. I don't use twitter, I got rid my iphone a few years ago and switched back to the cell I used in high school (I'm a grad student now, so that should give you an idea of my age). I have an xbox that I play every few months if a new game that I really really really want to try comes out, but then again, I'm into 3D graphics and do 3D modeling in my spare time. Is this wrong? I enjoy these things. But I use them all in moderation. I don't see a huge difference in some facets of facebook that I see on this site. I mean Jesus, I saw an add for the marines on here a few days ago... On facebook, I talk about things that I read on here freely. My link page is filled with news articles and videos pertaining to 911 and our corrupt govt. I've never been told to cool it. A few years ago I cleared out my friends list to only my close personal friends. Now, even though I'm out in CA while they are all on the east coast, I still feel close to them.
So yeah dude, get off your high horse.
you quit facebook and video games and you enjoy it.
I just take everything in moderation and enjoy it, even life.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Odessy

So yeah dude, get off your high horse.
you quit facebook and video games and you enjoy it.
I just take everything in moderation and enjoy it, even life.

Whoa, your reading a little too deep into this!
This was about my own personal experience with Facebook and yes, I have issues with going a bit too far with things from time to time. I am also an artist and architect by trade, but most of the artwork I and my colleagues produce, never went on Facebook. Especially architectural designs! I debated putting my own work even here on this site as my avatar, but I have the only original.
As far as video games I've been hooked since Space Invaders and Asteroids came about in 1978! I love them, play them frequently and the Bioshock Series is my recent favorite pick on PS3.
So I do have problems with moderation and I have a problem with Facebook for deleting my account unjustly, without probation, explanation or consideration! I followed all the rules to the letter too.

You don't use Revit by any chance do you?

edit on 4/6/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
facebook is what you want it to be, as many have pointed out, you can block out all the annoying background noise like apps and stoopid 'games' like farmville and the like, which is where facebook makes most of its money.

Similarily you can block annoying people just as easily. I think most school age and youths miss the point of facebook and just post the same kind of drivel that fly between their mobile phones all the time.

The slightly older generation with interesting and varied lives who have been through college and worked and have families get the most out of facebook. I personally like the way it connects me to almost all the people I have known throughout my life. I am still in touch with folk I went to school with over 20 years ago.

The idiots with much to say about little are far outnumbered by the interesting people. On my friend list at least. I suppose it boils down to the kind of company you keep in real life.

If youre having a bad facebook experience it's maybe because all your friends are jerks. Sad but True.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Still going strong, I do block all of the games though, that's not why I'm on there. I probably have over 80 games blocked so they don't show up in my live feed and so people don't invite me to them.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
The sole reason why facebook got big and is still current today is because of the ability to tag pictures of all of your friends. Everybody started joining to get in on this feature and now you have an online database of all of your friends. Basically a universal phonebook, which I feel is very important. I don't use FB for games or chatting but I appreciate that it is easy to set up events and see the pictures of the events after with everybody tagged. Pretty genius.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by shadowland8
Yeah, I hope it dies off soon.

I do not have a mobile, facebook, myspace, twitter or anything like that.

I never have used those services, and I don't intend to ever join those services.

Seriously, Facebook is insanely stupid, and it needs to be ridden of

Seriously, why would you care if it does or doesnt die off? Funny how people judge things they don't use and that's a good enough reason for them to condem it it and wish it away from others. Talk about ignorance.

I certainly don't buy into all the "likes" and games and people posting about their daily, blah, blah, blah, life experiences. But it has been a God send for me finding people I've spent 100 of hours looking for previously . Only use it for an extremely quick and easy way to get ahold of people and pass along messages. Tons of good events and people I would have missed without it. I certinly don't need it for an ego boost or a sense of worth, doing just fine...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
You people really crack me up. You do realize that your info is widely available online if someone knows where to look. As for fb being some big evil monster intent on eating you alive is just hilarious!

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I used Myspace for a while, did find/they found me, long lost friends, connected with new people, etc. I don't use it much now, nor really care for it... same with Facebook, I barely go on, but only to check up on friends. I was in college when it came out, as it was a college network site. I didn't like it...the apps, pictures, videos, etc(as they did on Myspace) made the pages for some people's net connection unable to navigate, unless blocked and all that...

I don't see it going away anytime soon, unless something replaces it(as the case with Myspace merging with FB), it's the AOL(chats, messages, games, etc) of the Internet.
edit on 6-4-2011 by dreamingawake because: more info.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by PoopDawg

I'll have to agree with both sides of this debate, as XelNaga said it, I also have friends and family all over the world, and it does come in handy. Plus since I can't possibly force everyone to use my preferred means of communication, and most do use facebook, it's currently one of the best ways to get in touch with people. I also use it to advertise my website, as I am starting up my own business. My musician friends use it to tell people about their shows, etc etc.
However the potential for abuse scores extraordinarily high with facebook compared to other sites. It has more useless applications than I could possibly count and invites you into knowledge about other people's lives that you're often better off not knowing. It's probably used in an unproductive, stupid, mindless fashion by many. I have certainly been guilty of indulging in the past. I think it will eventually die off and get replaced, hopefully by something a little less invasive more beneficial.
I'd also like to add, that even on ATS you have to filter through countless less informative posts in order to get to the educational ones. Real people use both websites and yes you can even learn from facebook. My friends post interesting links there as well, and same with everything else, you just need to filter, soak in the good stuff and ditch the bad.
edit on 6-4-2011 by 22ndsecond because: spelling

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join