It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Facebook dead yet?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+66 more 
posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

I was thrown off Facebook a year ago for talking about issues with my friends that I speak about here all the time.
Well it sucked for about 3 days then I realized I was really way too caught up in this ridiculous trend. I have a PS3 and a Wii but for some reason, as these systems collected dust, I was mastering Farmville, Drinking Wars and some stupid RPG all of which my Commodore 64 could have run 30 years ago!
Then I noticed this big weight was lifted off my shoulders after going through Facebook 'withdrawal'. It felt good not having to get my novemdecuple fixes during the day. I started noticing the world around me again. I smashed my IPhone soon after and bought the cheapest pre paid cell I could find. Now I only use the internet for research into topics that interest me that are hard to answer anywhere else. I don't spend my day constantly looking at my phone sending the thousand texts, e-mails, video messages, etc. back and forth - not even for work, they can wait 15 minutes for me to get to my computer.
Facebook and other social media sites are like TV now. They are commercially driven 'channels' used to addict people and keep them occupied while the whole world passes them by. If TV was coc aine, Facebook would be crack.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Nope.

Still breathing.

+9 more 
posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I never understood the Facebook obsession. I tried it out about a year ago, had the account for about 2 months but wasnt on it that much.
I didnt really like the whole "openness" that was shared between friends and their friends and so on. It took all had to not say "who the hell cares" when someone would post... "ok im going to walk the dog" then omg the dog pooped in the neighbors yard, roflmao" blah blah.

At first I disabled it because i couldnt find the delete account link, then i realized that my acct was still there, it was just on standby.
So i complained loudly, my son heard me and showed me a link to delete it forever.. so, bye bye mark [zuckerberg]
edit on 5-4-2011 by TriForce because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/4/11 by masqua because: Replaced intentional profanity circumvention with actual name

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
"Jude11 is sitting on the toilet eating pork chops."

According to Face Book, this is interesting stuff.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

Unfortunately, facebook will probably be around to polute the minds of our grandchildren's grandchildren.

link   
Pretty much.

I've never used it. I don't know any peers who do.

The only people I ever see using are the elderly and stupid kids.

I should say I don't have any peers who use anything on the Internet unless they're at work in a cube wasting time. That's why I'm here.

The whole thing has jumped the shark. It's a toy for children and a novelty for seniors. Most others have better things to do than spend their free time in front a screen doing what essentially amounts to nothing at all.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

link   
I always have facebook up in a separate tab while I'm browsing the internetz, but I most certainly wouldn't call myself an addict. I keep it up to be able to chat with my friends (a lot of whom do not have cellphones/texting). I very rarely ever use it for anything else. Maybe an occasional funny comment on a picture or status, etc. But other than that I don't use it.
The same goes with my iPhone - when I first got it all I did was play games on it. But then I grew tired of them, and I only use my phone for texting and useful apps now (scientific calculator, maps, camera, etc).

The key to it all is moderation. And very few people these days are able to control their addictions. It's sad to see facebook friends who are constantly online (and using it, not just having the tab open like me).

This is slightly off-topic, but have you noticed the amount of children that walk around stores playing their Nintendo DS's constantly? I hate seeing that. Even when they're out in the world, they're missing the world. It's like a portable addiction. Our youth these days.. \=

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I do not care to be popular. I like to put my .02 in on ATS though. Facebook is for popularity contests. Contests that at the end of the day, mean crap.

I have an issue with being on ATS too much. Just like right now I am supposed to be out under my car changing the fuel pump.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

Well, Myspace is pretty much dead for sure and Facebook will most likely be replaced with something faster and better so yeah history will repeat itself once again. We all go through it but change is what drives us as well.

edit on 5-4-2011 by Stop-loss! because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Facebook is for people with no self esteem.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Facebook will be fine till someone makes a better crack. Seems about due for a replacement....

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Omg. My friends know better than to mention "farmville" around me. I'm so anti-facebook that I still have a myspace page....

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Actually, people of every age are on facebook, alot of people. However i'm not and I do agree its a waste of time.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by TriForce

I was the same way...had it a few months a year or so ago and then I was done...I found the people I "thought" i knew to be incredibly annoying..and pretty dumb. I can't figure out the obsession either..but I do notice how people think I'm from another planet because I don't do FB or twitter..

link   
I actually feel the same way about my G-phone, it does prove to be handy at times but for the most part, i could do without it. If i didnt need a phone for work purposes or to keep up with my brats, I wouldnt even have one.

What irritates me about cell phones though, is that people EXPECT you to have it on you AT ALL TIMES.
If they call, you better answer, or they think your dodging them and get offended.
I have came back from the store, leaving my phone at home on purpose and finding several missed calls from the same person, then a vmail asking me why im avoiding them..
What happened to calling someone once, leaving a vmail if its really important and waiting on the call back?

Phone etiquette has gone to hell with technology advancements.

+51 more 
link   
reply to post by brindle

is it, you ignorant ass? i have a facebook page and my self esteem is quite fine.

if you guys dont have friends, its understandable to why you dont have a facebook. i have friends here in nc and in multiple states and family in multiple states. i use facebook to keep in contact with them, make plans, and see what they are up to.

facebook isnt the most amazing thing in the world and yeah there are many things about it that arent quite right BUT this does not mean anyone should bash on anyone for using that website, especially when most people (who are over the age of 14) use it to keep in contact with people.

get over yourselves...chilling on ats all day is no different then sitting on facebook all day...at least facebook is pretty. the people with obsessions with facebook are 14-17 year old kids, most of which are to bitch to do anything with themselves. dont generalize everyone on there with the stupid ass kids that roam around on both that website (keep in mind, there are ats links all over facebook...those 14-17 year old kids are coming over here)
edit on 5-4-2011 by XelNaga because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by TriForce

LOL, NO JOKE! People know better than to do that with me now. I will delete the messages, and I won't call them back, and I won't answer them ON PURPOSE if they pull that crap with me. I hate texting, and I don't really want to be on the phone all day. I just have it in case I break down on the side of the road and I need a tow.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
i find its an excuse to not meet people in real life...

so many friends who i would have met 5 years ago in person to say hi.. now i just send them a message every now and then...

social networking perhaps... but also social alienation....

Fakebook and other social networking sites are stealing the substance out of the human experience and redirecting energies into the electronic experience...

We will one day be machines...

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Only attention whores still use facebook. It's all about me, me, ME.

"I am currently on the bus, hehe."

99 people like this.

42 comments.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by XelNaga
reply to post by brindle

is it, you ignorant ass? i have a facebook page and my self esteem is quite fine.

if you guys dont have friends, its understandable to why you dont have a facebook. i have friends here in nc and in multiple states and family in multiple states. i use facebook to keep in contact with them, make plans, and see what they are up to.

facebook isnt the most amazing thing in the world and yeah there are many things about it that arent quite right BUT this does not mean anyone should bash on anyone for using that website, especially when most people (who are over the age of 14) use it to keep in contact with people.

get over yourselves...chilling on ats all day is no different then sitting on facebook all day...at least facebook is pretty

You can actually learn something on ats, nothing to learn on facebook unless you plan on being a virtual farmer one day. My point, there is a big difference.
I only spend an hour online anyway.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join