It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hi I am new. do you think the oceans are safe to swim in?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I am planning our summer vacation and the children want to go to the beach ( probably Florida). I am very concerned about the safety of our waters. Especially all the chemicals that were pumped into the ocean during the bp oil disaster and now I have to worry about the Japan radioactive nightmare. I Dont think I will ever feel totally comfortable eating seafood ever again. I was just wondering your thoughts?

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by HODOSKE

They say it should be filterd, but I wouldnt personally swim in it, but that is my free will choice I dont know. Its like if you pour salt-sugar-citris acid in a big cup of water. Would you taste any of these ingredients in water after water settled poss. So the stuff is still in there. Has is sank not sure is some floating not sure but the Oceans are sick........ Also welcome to ATS my friend good question....
edit on 4/5/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by HODOSKE

I personally have stopped eating all sea food.

I had bought some salmon packs before the nuclear disaster and they are from a different area then the gulf oil spill.

I would not recommend swimming in Florida, because the oil spill has reached Florida shores.

Try going north. There are plenty of lakes up north uncontaminated by Oil spills or the recent Nuclear disaster.

I don't swim in the ocean anymore either, but that is because i am in California and the radiation has already reached Cali and even Nevada.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by HODOSKE

Perhaps it depends on what part of Florida you intend to go......

With radiation seeping in to the waters off Japan.....it will be a long time before I consume any fish unless it comes from the deep southern oceans near antartica

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I'd be more worried about sharks and jellyfish!

2nd

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Forget the chemicals.The ocean is a place home to sealife who have an appetite.This is like asking a giant bluefin tuna,do you think its safe to jump on that fishermans boat?The ocean is where fish and sharks,dolphins and octopus ,and a plethora of yet undiscovered aquatic creatures live.Give them their living quarters .They respect ours.You wouldnt want a great white shark to waddle in your front door.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Jelly fish are far more "dangerous" than any chemical or radiation that might reach Florida. You want nice beaches try WildWood New Jersey.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
For whatever it's worth, I went swimming in the ocean at Daytona this weekend, and I feel fine.
Same goes for the fresh caught seafood I consumed.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum
I'd be more worried about sharks and jellyfish!

2nd

I wouldn't swim in the ocean if i were you! - too far from land HA HA.

Beach would be better.

Don't worry about radiation poison, their is a lot of water between Florida and Japan, you cannot live your life being
afraid of everything and everyone. Relax, be happy and enjoy yourself!

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I wouldnt too many baby dolphins and turtles washing up

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by HODOSKE

I wouldn't let fear of the ocean deter you on your vacation plans. If I loved the ocean and beach I would still vacation there even if I didn't get in the water. Relax and have a good time in an environment you enjoy. I've been vacationing in Florida since the 80s and have arrived a few times to find the beaches were disappointingly covered in smelly heaps of green algae growth. When that happened I just avoided the beaches and spent my time doing other things. Disney?

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
you couldn't pay me to go into the gulf, too much corexit.
you couldn't pay me to go into the pacific either, too much radiation from japan.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by wheelz1971

I've been to Florida 50-60 times and trust me my favorite past time when I was a kid was throwing rocks on Man-O-War jellyfish littered all over the beaches in Miami, the tar sucked though. Also shark fishing in Fort Lauderdale, Sarasota and Captiva was wonderful, shark teeth cover the beaches.
Maybe it was watching Jaws or maybe it was seeing a boy get bit or maybe it was me stepping accidentally on a jellyfish in Florida but I'm swimming at Lake Buena Vista for now on!
Beaches are beautiful though especially at Captiva Island (see Sanibel Island) though now Sanibel is way too commercial.
edit on 4/5/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join