It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glossolalia, anyone?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by nithaiah

I'm not going to get into a debate about dissociative identity disorder on a thread about glossolalia, but that "internet test" is from a counseling resource site (hence the name of the site).
That test is the same test issued by psychologists to determine dissociated states (not just DID). Just fyi.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
An example of it.

It does NOT sound like a language to me, personally, it sounds like pretty random utterances, which of course use sounds commonly found in real languages.

It is an interesting phenomenon, however.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I believed I was doing it in 1972-4.
I had just become a Christian, and the charismatic movement was beginning to flourish.
Nothing very dramatic about it. Just something happening quietly, when I was on my own. I wasn't controlling it, but I was allowing it to happen.
It seemed to be an "unknown language", which is what we were being taught to expect. The sound of it was very similar on different occasions. There seemed to be definite patterns, and the words seemed to be of the same type of sound. In other words, what you might expect if it really was a consistent language. I did notice more than once that it would end and tail off with repetitions of the word "mana".
One reason why it might have stopped is that I neglected to encourage it.

edit on 5-4-2011 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by WideAwakeNow

Reading your thread has bought back a memory for me. Many years ago I was invited around to a new friends place for coffee, but it quickly turned into a "bible study" type thing. I didn't really have a problem with that in itself, each to their own, but at one stage she started praying and all of a sudden she was talking in "tounges". The only way I can describe the feeling that came over me was absolute dread. In no way did it feel special or holy. It wasn't fear but a very dark foreboding kind of feeling came over me and I couldn't get out of there quick enough. Needless to say, I didn't go to her place for coffee anymore!!
edit on 5-4-2011 by sunsetatdawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

That is outrageous, these crackers are really are into what they are saying, absolutely nuts. Thanks mate for sharing that clip.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Condemned0625

I understand your pain, how can people who love you so much put you through that much pain. I'm glad to be a member on ATS because personally, most of us care, I wish you nothing but the best in life. I'm sure you have moved on and done what's best for you, good luck.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by sunsetatdawn

Whoa that sounds utterly terrifying. I would quite literally have just run away from the house there and then... that is assuming you're telling the truth.
to be honest i've never really believed in the whole speaking in tongues thing. Always sounded a little crazy to me

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieFinny

It was really out there, and what reason would I have for making this up? There have been many times in my life where strange or unexplainable things have happened to me, but I don't feel the need to tell the world about them, unless a similar situation is bought up in conversation and I want to share my particular experience. One of the reasons I do keep quiet about these sorts of things is because people will always be sceptical, and thats ok, but I don't need the approval of anyone to validate any of my experiences.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by sunsetatdawn

sorry i didn't mean to offend... it's just one of those things that i've always been really skeptical of.
i'm not gonna judge weird stuff happens to me all the time (it's like i just attract it)
i guess you don't have a reason for making it up, the being really scared for no reason thing fits. but did you ever stop to think that they were just messing with you ?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieFinny

Hey no worries, no offence taken. Believe me, I never really believed in this phenomonen until that day. It was too real and deep in my gut I knew this was not angelic. I really don't believe she was having a lend of me, so to speak. Her whole demeaner was like, this is a completely normal thing. So again, no offence taken.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join