It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonalds Discriminates Using Sterotypes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   
It's rather obvious from their ad campaign that McDonalds propagates ethnic stereotypes, in their commercials featuring mainly black people they play hip hop music. While in their commercials featuring mainly white people they still play music but its a lot less rap-ish.

Take a look at this site and decide for yourself though,

maddox.xmission.com...

This guy has his own opinon.... I think its negative because of the bad punctuation "I'm lovin' it" and while I'm not black, if I was I wouldn't want be stereotyped.... heck... I'm white and I don't wanna be stereotyped.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Is "I'm lovin' it" supposed to be the stereotype? That guy that runs that website is a bumbling idiot. I wouldn't take anything he says seriously. Look at his numbers for sales of anti diarrhea medicine. His chart is listed as billions of gallons. And as of 1975 it was at over 500 billion gallons of the medicine. LMFAO. Thats like 100 gallons of this stuff per person on the planet. I am sorry but the man is an idiot.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I did notice it strange. You don't see white people to the tune of classical music or rock. (I did see one with country music, very scary, I empathize now because of that) Nor do you even hear or see one with Latino's to the tune of Mariachi bands.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   
This is called marketing. And I can't see for the life of me why this would be considered derrogatory. If McDonald's has analyzed it's market and found that either it's most loyal market, or the market of most potential growth is in the black community, then why not market to the black community. Furthermore, I bet McDonald's has been at this long enough that they hired a black marketing guru to guide them...so "I'm lovin' it" is probably a product of that.

This is silly.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   
If they wanted to stereotype me it would be a middle aged guy sitting in front of his PC drinking from a 2 liter bottle of soda :-)

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Oh come on Indy...

That McGraph is funny!

That pirate guy is just kidding though. He rants on everything.

And like he says "This page is about me and why everything I like is great. If you disagree with anything you find on this page, you are wrong."

Can't argue with that!

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   
It's just one ad campaign. And white people, especially the younger demographic they are targeting with this ad campaign, listen to rap misic. Damn, more white kids buy rap music than black. Who do you think started it all...Beastie Boys, and before that Blonde and Aerosmith(kinda). I think they have geared their advertizing to whites plenty, and are now trying to gain the untapped demographic. Burger King has been doing it, now McDonald's is following suit. The next campaign will probibly be for Kids or families, who knows. Nothing unusual.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   
hmmmm let's see It's called marketing...

Majority of Rap / Hip Hop music is by black artists.

Not too many people, again, NOT TOO MANY, but some... do rap / hip hop... so

If more Black people like rap / hip hop, and your marketing plan is to go after the Black audience... then what kind of music are you going to play... yes, Rap / Hip Hop....

If your target audience is white people, then you're probably not going to play a lot of Rap / Hip Hop music.

Lesson over, you may return to your regularly scheduled ATS posting.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
On a serious note, the main marketing restrictions I'm aware of prohibit targeting minorites with tobacco or alchohol or children with advertising for product lines that support the programming selling the ad time.

Meaning you can't have a genocide strategy for harmful products and you can't sell He-Man dolls during He-Man cartoons.

But you sure as hell can advertise BEER AT NASCAR!!!

Wooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooo!

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   
You know what I find amusing? Is that some of the biggest drinkers of energy drinks (Red Bull, Amp, Monster, etc) are people who sit on the rears all day long. The people least likely to need it. lol

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
You know what I find amusing? Is that some of the biggest drinkers of energy drinks (Red Bull, Amp, Monster, etc) are people who sit on the rears all day long. The people least likely to need it. lol

yes I agree.... speaking of these types of drinks, ever read the lables on them ?

My 12 year old had one and we read the lable, it says right on there not to give it to children.... it was poured down the drain...

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   
You know why you arent supposed to give them to children don't you? They are so loaded with caffeine and sugar that you'd end up kiling yourself or the kid after a while

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Well his Anti-Diarrhea medicine chart is crap... and I dont agree with his opinions but my own opinion is that black people will continue to not gain respect (and yes, admit, a lot of people look down on black people across the US) as long as stereotypes like these are propagated. If the marketing works because its true then thats a whole different issue.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Blacks only make up 12% or less of America. Mc Donalds does not earn billions in America off 12% of the population. Much less when a lot of that population is in prision, under-employed, and very poor relative to their white counter parts.

That McDonald ad is aimed at whites. Who buys more rap music? White people. Who trys to act cool by aping blacks? White people. When teenage white people hear "I'm lovin' it," most of them, the stupid ones, are thinking, "Yeah I'm cool. I'm lovin' it like only a stereotyped black person could." Think about it; what race(s) are more hip and happening in this country? Not white people. The wigger epidemic is evidence of this.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Its marketing. But I hate Rap and McDonalds. But I think Black is the new hip thing to do. Just look at the movies today. White Chicks, Malibu Most Wanted, Soulplane, Head of State, You got Served, and so on. There also appears to be a huge gap between family movies G. PG to others like PG13 and R. Spiderman (pg) and Finding Nemo (g) and others have less or no blacks than Pg13 and R such as IRobot and Catwoman, in which main characters are often black.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Have you seen those KFC commercials? The ones with the Toby Keith sound-alike singing t-shirt catchphrases to what looks like people hanging out watching NASCAR? Chicken Capitol U.S.A. Oy vey! If I was a Toby Keith, NASCAR watching, white person, I would feel so used. Then again, those type of people aren't very intellectually curious, so they probably wouldn't know, or mind, that they are being made fun of.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Exactly my point Curme! I live in North Carolina where you have half of the population as rich smart people and half the population as redneck race fans so I know the stereotype :-)

However what can we do about it? If the commercial works then uh... well I guess we are the ones to blame for it.

But when I see a redneck say (excuse my language here) "Damn bitch, ahm gonna run down ta MickeyDs and hit me up wi' somma dat fried #" I'll know advertising has gone too far!

Also, good point Vegemite. The black sterotype is pushed by the media as cool so white people try to imitate that. (It's just every time we white people say "Was up nigga" we get shot or something)

[edit on 7/24/2004 by lockheed]

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
This is called marketing. And I can't see for the life of me why this would be considered derrogatory. If McDonald's has analyzed it's market and found that either it's most loyal market, or the market of most potential growth is in the black community, then why not market to the black community. Furthermore, I bet McDonald's has been at this long enough that they hired a black marketing guru to guide them...so "I'm lovin' it" is probably a product of that.

This is silly.

I was going to respond, but after reading this post there is no need to. I suppose that this is really a responce in itself.

Do you not think that the company is going to sell their products to white families by using white families in their advertisements? Or black, yellow, blue and green. They are selling a product not racism. Wake up!

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Black has become mainstream, I dont see how they are catering to the black race any more than if they have a hip-hop beat in a commersial

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
You know why you arent supposed to give them to children don't you? They are so loaded with caffeine and sugar that you'd end up kiling yourself or the kid after a while

'
Nah, take him to the Doc and get a script for ritalin. Nuch better than a good diet and exersize.....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join