It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Qur'an burning free speech in America?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by spiritualzombie

I totally agree

There are very few christian Christians. IMO. Going to church and believing in God does not make you a christian. Mind, going to Mosque and belief in Allah does not make you a muslim either - and the two regions are virtually identical, indeed are just sects of the origina Abrahamic religion (along wth Judaism). It's like two (or three) siblings arguing over who is Daddy's favourite and which will inherit the family business. If only they'd grow up and realise that working together they'd all be so much better and the business would thrive, instead of, as it now seems, fail.....

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I do feel its free speech, the interesting thing I find with those who advocate banning the burning of the Qur'an also generally endorse burning the American Flag as a right of free speech.

I also ask those who are so livid about some moron burning the Qur'an if they are aware of the numbers of Bibles destroyed and Christian's who are killed in Islamic theocratic nations. They many times are unaware that such things take place, yet we don't go crazy in this country and riot when something like this happens else where.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
SUCH a slippery slope we are on the edge of. The problem is not if what he did was done intentionally to offend fundamentalist Islam, the problem is that EVERYTHING offends fundamentalist Islam. If we give in to this and outlaw Qur'an burning it is just the very start of the opening of the floodgates and the fundamentalist Muslims are going to see this a s victory towards dominating the United States and converting us all to Islam or killing us.

It starts RIGHT HERE! This is it. If you give in now, the next thing that will be outlawed is drawing a picture of Mohammed. Then it will be making a film that discusses the Qur'an in ANY light other than showing it as being flawless and perfect. You will not be allowed to make any music if it has any negative mention of Mohammed or Islam.

This is it right here. The battle for your freedom is at stake RIGHT NOW. Your voice is on trial.

You know the reason that Muslim moderate women wear a headscarf and cover up nearly their entire body? You know the reason that fundamentalist Muslim females wear a full body burka? It is to prevent the men from raping the women. The men claim that they are so tempted by the flesh of the female that they would rape them if they are not covered up.

These people are admitting that they are incapable of raising themselves up higher than an animal. If you surrender your voice now then it is no different than wearing a veil or a burka over your freedoms.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Free speech is a protected right under the Constitution and it is; the government does not make a laws against saying or writing anything that drifts through the weakest or most hateful of minds. What we seem to have lost is the concept that Constitutional free speech does not protect you from insults or criticism -- you have the right to wear a funny hat I have an equal right to point and laugh and deride, and my derision may cause you to retaliate. YOU are responsible for your words, you are responsible for the consequences.

This christian terrorist was saying something to get a response out of an islamic terrorist. There is no difference on either side. Now people are dead. The murders were by the islamic terroprist but sharing equal blame is the christian terrorist who was fully aware that his words and actions would incite violence in his counterparts. Warped minds tend to think in fairly predictable patterns.

Basically the christian terrorist yelled fire in a theater filled with islamic terrorists. The results were predictable and the blame falls on both groups. However the incident would not have happened if it hadn't been for the christian terrorist's inciting actions.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
If people can burn the flag on the 4th of july then others should be able to burn the Qur'an anytime they want. People have fought and died to protect that flag and what it stands for, one of those things being free speech. I have heard of people burning bibles and nobody made a big deal out of that. I would attend a Qur'an burning now just to prove a point. Our free Speech has been cut to low the way it is now. I do not support people using words like the N-word but it IS free speech and yet if you do it you get fined. I am afrad this well become illegal as well soon but until then it should fall under free speech. It seem that it is only ok for free speech to be used if it is by a minority and that is not right!

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by markosity1973
America, when does a message of hate, ignorance and intolerance become freedom of speech?

It is time that the good people of your nation stood up and said enough is enough. Freedom of speech is nothing but a veil that cowards hide behind to commit terrible acts and get away with it. You gotta have some sort of boundaries.

Well said markosity.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by markosity1973

If you add limits then you are taking away the main point!! It is not free speech if you have to censor yourself.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by spyder550

It's funny how when you burn a Koran privately... nothing happens. Absolutely no harm is caused to anything.

Are you saying the killing some people is justifiable because someone upset your feelings?
edit on 5-4-2011 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by camouflaged

Any burning of any religious book is wrong,

I don't believe in any religious texts. They are all straight out works of fictions with "magical tales" in them that cannot be proven. I hold the dictionary in the same regards as these religious extremists (all denominations) worship their texts. Reason why it's all the words we use to communicate, it's how we live and thus sacred!.

So should "my book" be held in the same regard as these fake religious texts? and why? Should it be a crime to burn a dictionary? A dictionary has facts and has old words as well? Do you get the point? Burning anything in order to cause hurt to others is wrong not just burning religious texts!

Shows a lot for some (not all ... repeat not all) elements of the muslim community mentality!
edit on 5-4-2011 by phatpackage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Serizawa
reply to post by beezzer

It seems to amuse you offending people. How would you feel if i pissed on a portrait of you're family? Since the flag, Quran and Bible are all worthless to you. Stop encouraging stupidity, One mans Gold is another mans Junk...

What the... Lol?

You can piss on anything you like as long as you don't do it in public I would assume, but if you expect that you'd cause mass riots half way around the world in doing so, you're deluded.

Yes, you can burn the constitution, the bible, the flag, whatever you like, I seriously doubt you would get a mob of angry people running around killing innocent people because of it.

But the qur'an.... Oh my...

Piss on a family portrait... what a joke.. lmao..

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeachM1litant
Unfortunately intolerance is a sad part of our society. As tolerant people we must come together to peacefully oppose it, but we cannot become hypocrtical or selective when we deem who should have freedom of speech and what can be said under freedom of speech.

Unfortunately, your version of tolerance means tolerating the intolerant.

And that doesn't work.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
First they came for those who drew a swastika and I did nothing , because I didn't wear a swastika,
Then they came for those who burned a flag and i did nothing....
Then they came for those who burned a cross....
Then they came for those who burned a Koran...
Then they came for those who burned a bible...
Then they came for those who wore a cross and read a bible......
One day our great grand children may wake up in a Globalist world where they come for you for drawing an American Flag and inciting 'hatred' in those who believe only in 'One world'.
Don't think it can happen?
History shows otherwise.
The First Amendment is there for a reason.
A flag can be replaced.
So can a bible, or a Koran.
Once the First amendment has been burned good luck ever getting it back.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeachM1litant

If "piss christ" is free speech, and burning the flag is free speech and burning a bible is free speech, then burning a koran is free speech. I am not giving any of my freedom to Shira.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redevilfan09
reply to post by notsofunnyguy

What you just said in the last sentence is absolutely correct. He is a coward and maybe someone should go burn, and then urinate on the holy bible on the front steps of his church and see how he likes it. People like him and the westborough church do nothing for christianity, let alone peace in this world.

Burning a Bible or urinating on a Bible will not deter any Christian. It's a matter between God and the offending person. God is more than capable of defending Himself. But in Islam, it appears allah cannot defend himself because why else would they have to riot and murder. So it's a matter of what it is you really believe.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SprocketUK
Free speech my arse.
As I said in a similar thread, this was done simply to provoke a reaction.
To use an analogy, what would a reasonable person expect to happen to them if they burnt an effigy of Malcolm X in a predominantly black neighbourhood? Or the pope in parkhead? Or Sonny Barger outside a HA clubhouse?
This bloke is no different to the scum that infests the funeral processions of dead soldiers.

What if someone were to burn an effigy of Malcolm X in Switzerland?

Would Compton erupt in a riot?

You do realise that it was people in Afghanistan who went mental, and not people net door to the pastor? Right?

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by broahes
Reply to post by SpeachM1litant

burning a book didn't lead to anyones death, people with a deep mental disturbance did.

...and it takes a lack of mental capacity to refuse to foresee this outcome, doesn't it? I mean come on, do you pretend (seriously) that you've never known that large parts of Afghanistan are populated by tribal people with pre-Medieval mentality that truly think killing others solves lots of problems, including redemption and eschatology? If you didn't know any of that, you have no business posting on the board that looks down on ignorance.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
Burning a Bible or urinating on a Bible will not deter any Christian. It's a matter between God and the offending person. God is more than capable of defending Himself.

Wait, if it were the case, how come (so-called) Christians decided to burn a stupid book? Why bother, if as you say God would defend himself?

I just hate gaps in logic. Not cool.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

This reminds me of Star Trek, when the civilised Star Fleet encounter a barbaric race that have idiotic customs and ways and it's star fleet who have to bend to suit them....

Every time...

"Shh don't offend the Klingons, they're a violent and angry people.... "

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

The fact that the mock trial and burning was recorded and broadcast, shows that it was an attempt to incite a breach of peace.

Couldn't agree more. He was obviously trying t get reactions,etc. You can burn a book in your own home, but when you're doing it in public there is obviously going to be some hate.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join