It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Qur'an burning free speech in America?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Qur'an burning free speech in America?

rt.com

The incident has pushed many to question just how far free speech goes in America. If what you say or do causes the death of others, are you free to say or do it? Issues surrounding the US First amendment are becoming more debated. Some feel, the principle trumps the outcome, while others contend free speech must be limited.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I apologise beforehand if this has been previously posted, a search has yielded no results. As many of you are aware from the thread posted on ATS, it appears that already, people are advocating limitations to the rights protected in America by the first amendment. To put it blatantly, it makes me feel sick. Yes, burning the Qur'an and any other religous text held in high regard by persons is wrong, but it is protected in the constitution and with good reason. You are already aware the constitution was drafted to protect people from tyrany and safeguard freedom and democracy. It is vital, if you hold democratic principles in a high regard, that we do not allow limitation to free speach now, as it could lead to censorship in the future.

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Any burning of any religious book is wrong, and killing people over is stupid... two wrongs dont make a right

+50 more 
posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Reply to post by SpeachM1litant

burning a book didn't lead to anyones death, people with a deep mental disturbance did. If someone goes out and kills someone because of something I say or do.. Not my fault. Period.. Anyone that doesn't understand that can gladly line up and hand over their freedoms.. I'll keep minen thanks.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Here's my take on this whole mess:

1. The pastor has the right to buy a book (any book) and burn it in America.
2. The pastor knew this act, if made known, would anger people around the world. He wanted this exact effect, which is why he filmed his act and put it on youtube (as opposed to taking the batteries out of his smoke detector in his bedroom and burning the book there, for example).
3. The people angered by this act took out their anger on the wrong people (assuming that their anger was about this book burning by this pastor; other threads have stated other possible reasons and that this is only an excuse).

Personally, I think this guy is a coward. If he had any courage, he would have went to the country in question and burned the book in the middle of the people's town square.

Then they could have taken their anger out on him directly, and all would be (semi-) right in the world.

edit on 5-4-2011 by notsofunnyguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeachM1litant

I agree.
It's wrong (and IMO, downright immature) to burn religious texts/artifacts.
We should just throw all of these extremist idiots, on both sides of the spectrum, 1 on 1, into a padded room together and let them go at it.
It's just ridiculous how they justify killing innocents over this- ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING THEY (the Muslim extremists) BURN AMERICAN FLAGS LIKE IT'S GOING OUT OF STYLE!
Oh yeah, and all the other heinous acts they do every SINGLE damn day!
Ugh- its just complete and utter nonsense.

God is love.
And He loves all of his children.
That simple.
They should just hug it out.

edit on 5-4-2011 by ltinycdancerg because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeachM1litant

IMO the burning is just to offend..
But in reality it's just paper with some ink on it..

Muslims should look at it like that..
In fact the more Qur'ans bought and burnt, the more money generated for Islam..

link   
America, when does a message of hate, ignorance and intolerance become freedom of speech?

It is time that the good people of your nation stood up and said enough is enough. Freedom of speech is nothing but a veil that cowards hide behind to commit terrible acts and get away with it. You gotta have some sort of boundaries.

link   
Burning a book isn't against the law.

But if you do it you deserve everything you get, because your doing it full well knowing the anger and hatred your further causing.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Live free or die. thats all i have to say about that.

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
So long as no-one has a problem with me standing in Times Square and burning a pile of Bibles or copies of the Declaration of Independence or the US flag, then I suppose burning the Qu'ran must also be permissible?

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
This to me is a form of aggression towards anyone they mean to offend. This is in fact upsetting those that think that a book or anything else for that matter is going to demean or make their beliefs less relevant. When we can stand up for ourselves, and be less superficial, we can then move onto more pressing matters.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I don't think what that idiot did was practicing his right to free speech. That is the same thing as yelling fire in a movie theater. What he did is a form of terrorism in it's self. He has personally killed people by doing what he did. It's not like he wasn't warned what would happen.

As far as the Muslims murdering people. Any reason to murder non believers in the name of their god is good enough for them. They should be held accountable. But The real murders are the nut jobs that used the technology and the video to incite the people that can't even read nor have internet access these Iran sponsored terrorists. They are just getting other nut jobs to do their dirty work. They need to be sought out and brought to justice. I'd love to see all three of them in the same cell.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Burn them and jump up and down screaming like an idoit like your other "peaceful followers". Wouldn't bother me in the least. I bet you wouldn't even slow down traffic. However do I agree the so called Pastor of Christianity? Nope He knew what he was doing. He's a murder just like the people he looks down upon.

+30 more 
posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
You can burn the bible, your bra, the flag, your draft card, pee on the cross, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights.

But don't you DARE offend islam. As far as I'm concerned, when the topic has gotten to this point they have already won and sharia law is here. It's just a matter of time befor they make it official.

Frankly between this and the issue over drawing Mohammed, I'm surprised we haven't surrendered all ready.

I'm disgusted!

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by markosity1973

Okay I agree. That man is feeling it make no mistake. HOWEVER When will it be time for MUSLIMS to stand up and hold accountable these people that kill and terrorize in the name of THEIR religion? When is THAT going to be talked about.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
This is akin to me burning Darwin's Origin of Species and evolutionists across the world get angry and kill religious people.

It doesnt make sense, it is barbaric and you have to be a complete loon to kill innocent people because somebody burned a book.

Yeh he did it to try and get a reaction but seriously, these people decided to murder innocent people. Nothing permits that. It just shows me how fundamentaly backwards these extremists are (including the Christian ones).

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
I hope someone sues him and pushes this to the Supreme Court.

The court has already in the past said you can't use speech to incite a breach of peace, Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire (1942).

The fact that the mock trial and burning was recorded and broadcast, shows that it was an attempt to incite a breach of peace.

Had he done it in private, as a personal act on his property, it would be protected under the law, but to have the whole mock trial and broadcast it on the internet. He knew exactly what he was doing and knew exactly what kind of reaction it would provoke.

If I were the families of those who were killed in response to his actions, I would sue him and his church

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

It seems to amuse you offending people. How would you feel if i pissed on a portrait of you're family? Since the flag, Quran and Bible are all worthless to you. Stop encouraging stupidity, One mans Gold is another mans Junk...

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by notsofunnyguy

What you just said in the last sentence is absolutely correct. He is a coward and maybe someone should go burn, and then urinate on the holy bible on the front steps of his church and see how he likes it. People like him and the westborough church do nothing for christianity, let alone peace in this world.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join