It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Television "Programming"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I was flippin through the channels earlier and it shows the descriptions of the shows and a lot of them say "programs" or "programming"...it made me think of how the media "programs" us to think a certain way. Just thought i'd share that

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Thyhorrorcosmic

what if the television in it's entirety is nothing more then a device designed to influence your thoughts and way of thinking to become docile in the sense that you agree with everything coming out of the screen and to question it is laughable. it seems to me like it already serves that purpose as each second you watch, someone gets a little richer, your thoughts change to suit their desires and your ability to think for yourself is replaced with what you need to hear from your television.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
tv is okey in moderation anything over 10 hrs a week makes me a lil stupid ya know what i mean

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

I absolutely agree with this. I'd like to hear 1 good thing that has come from television. I've seen groups like wearechange go around and interview people about who our first presidents were...they didnt know but they know who hit rhianna and what michael jacksons son name is...The media has made societies standards amongst youth so high...people think they need to act like the jersey shore, people think they need to dress like models...the best way i can describe our modern era of media, politics, religion, govt etc is BACKWARDS....its really sad.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

A lot of tv does program us

Also, Thyhorrorcosmic, I learn many things from tv, depending on the channel. YOu can learn about the world, science, technology, current events, and new ideas. TV isnt bad, the specific shows are.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by chancemusky

When I flip on the tube I only watch discovery channels or animal planet to watch planet earth, ancient aliens, etc. When I move out on my own i guarantee I wont be spending money on television...

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   

True, but its also entertainment. I love watching comedians, they give me joy
So there are good and bad things with TV :

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by chancemusky

exactly just like anything else, too much of a good thing can become bad. it's all about moderation and the mindset you have going into it.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thyhorrorcosmic
reply to post by yourmaker

I absolutely agree with this. I'd like to hear 1 good thing that has come from television. I've seen groups like wearechange go around and interview people about who our first presidents were...they didnt know but they know who hit rhianna and what michael jacksons son name is...The media has made societies standards amongst youth so high...people think they need to act like the jersey shore, people think they need to dress like models...the best way i can describe our modern era of media, politics, religion, govt etc is BACKWARDS....its really sad.

I love whenever people bring up the "people are stupid, cuz they were interviewed and got the questions wrong!" argument. I find it quite silly. When someone sets out to make a video showing how stupid people are, do you honestly think they're going to show the interviews where people got the correct answer? No, of course not. They only show the interviews (that probably only happen once every 50+ people) where someone answered incorrectly.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
ZOMG What, you think they can just brainwash people on a mass scale like that without anyone knowing it?! Are you going to say Rock N' Roll is the devil next?

Nah for real, somehow we're the 'crazy' ones because we look for alternative sources, while everyone else only believes something if its on tv or in an official press release. Uh riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

No one really thinks about how odd it is that almost everybody watches tv, and not just a little tv, the average American spends a 1/4(6 hoursperday) of their life rotting away watching actors play out fake lives. When you also consider the average American works and sleeps 16 hours a day, that leaves only 2-4 hours a day left...

But of course ABSOLUTELY NO ONE sees how warped they've all become. Actually they do see it, its just ABSOLUTELY NO ONE will admit it.

The theme of the movie Inception was that planting an idea is virtually impossible, but the media does it EVERYDAY, and they know it. That movie was a big f' you to the American people. Just like the shows Family Guy, The Middle, Modern Family, South Park, According to Jim, and the dozens of other shows that people think are just comedies when in reality they all depict the middle class as unintelligent, lazy, apathetic drones.

I'm only 18 and can see this... I can see all the shows targeted to my age group and younger and it's almost all drugs, sex, sex, sex, bullies are the popular kids, don't listen to your parents, rebel, rebel, more drugs, more sex, party, being mean is cool, being smart is nerdy.

Does anyone else see how screwed up my generation is? What you see on TV is really how kids today are, but NO ONE cares. Just knowing that one day all these kids are going to grow up to run this nation(if its still here) and drive our economy absolutely terrifies me, but no one else.

But I'M the crazy one?
edit on 5-4-2011 by BlackStar99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackStar99
ZOMG What, you think they can just brainwash people on a mass scale like that without anyone knowing it?! Are you going to say Rock N' Roll is the devil next?

Nah for real, somehow we're the 'crazy' ones because we look for alternative sources, while everyone else only believes something if its on tv or in an official press release. Uh riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

No one really thinks about how odd it is that almost everybody watches tv, and not just a little tv, the average American spends a 1/4(6 hoursperday) of their life rotting away watching actors play out fake lives. When you also consider the average American works and sleeps 16 hours a day, that leaves only 2-4 hours a day left...

But of course ABSOLUTELY NO ONE sees how warped they've all become. Actually they do see it, its just ABSOLUTELY NO ONE will admit it.

The theme of the movie Inception was that planting an idea is virtually impossible, but the media does it EVERYDAY, and they know it. That movie was a big f' you to the American people. Just like the shows Family Guy, The Middle, Modern Family, South Park, According to Jim, and the dozens of other shows that people think are just comedies when in reality they all depict the middle class as unintelligent, lazy, apathetic drones.

I'm only 18 and can see this... I can see all the shows targeted to my age group and younger and it's almost all drugs, sex, sex, sex, bullies are the popular kids, don't listen to your parents, rebel, rebel, more drugs, more sex, party, being mean is cool, being smart is nerdy.

Does anyone else see how screwed up my generation is? What you see on TV is really how kids today are, but NO ONE cares. Just knowing that one day all these kids are going to grow up to run this nation(if its still here) and drive our economy absolutely terrifies me, but no one else.

But I'M the crazy one?
edit on 5-4-2011 by BlackStar99 because: (no reason given)

We are made out to be the crazy ones yes, because we are the minority and people feel more comfortable with the majority and life is easier without knowing the truth. It's one thing using the TV in moderation to get a good laugh or something, but believing everything that comes from it and what comes from it turns into a reality for a lot of people. We would be better off outside interacting with each other like the social beings we are than sitting inside watching phony material and playing video games..

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
you might be interested in this series a satirical look at the TV and how bad it is for us.

This is the first vid of the first episode, well worth a watch

top topics

join