It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water container. Tank neutralizing??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I have a large plastic tank given to me with wire frame around it to apparently protect it from ruptures and bursting from pressure. Has ball valve pre-made in it bottom center for total usage. Question is, it had a chemical in it and i want to neutralize tank to make it usable for drinking water showers or misc. water needs. Any ideas or should i look for different container! It is well made and seems to be near 200 or so gallons. Seems a waste to have to trash it if not usable.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
First of what chemical was in it? If you know that you can find out more about what can be used to neutralize it.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by earthart

neutralized from what? You need to provide better details in order for anyone to provide details for neutralization from a chem. Even if you can get rid of the chem previously in the container, you still should not use it for drinking water.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Unless you're very familiar with chemistry I'd suggest not using that container, chemicals are very tricky to remove once it contaminates certain materials. It's definitely possible to return it to a potable container, but not without knowing exactly what chemicals were stored in it and the temperature it was stored at.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I will find out tomorrow what was in it and go from there. I appreciate all the advice. I may need more when i get the chemical info.Thanks again!

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthart
I have a large plastic tank given to me with wire frame around it to apparently protect it from ruptures and bursting from pressure. Has ball valve pre-made in it bottom center for total usage. Question is, it had a chemical in it and i want to neutralize tank to make it usable for drinking water showers or misc. water needs. Any ideas or should i look for different container! It is well made and seems to be near 200 or so gallons. Seems a waste to have to trash it if not usable.

Get a water storage tank and then treat it with clorine for longterm storage or just rotate your water every 3 months.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Fot acids possibly baking soda will neutralise them.
Be careful not to get sprayed with the foam from a violent reaction though.
Acids can also be diluted with plain water till they are almost gone try flushing with clean water ten times maybe...
For other stuff it is very nessessary to find out whats in it exactly.
There may also be instructions for hazaedour materials handling on the bladder itself or tagged to it.
Also look for yellow and black stripes or symbols like a fire in a triangle or other thing in triangles like a skull or what have you...these all correspond to poison control symbols which can be ound on poison contrl websites locally.
my 2 cents

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Please DO NOT take advice from these people here. DO NOT USE this container as a holding place for drinking water. Using it as a grey water holding tank after it has been is dangerous enough.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

I agree with this member.DO NOT use that
tank for drinking water.Plastics absorb what
was stored in them.No matter how many times
you wash it,some residue will still be in the plastic.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I will ditto in a big way. DON'T use that tank for potable water. If you fill it, use the water to function your toilets in the event that you lose your water main.

There are plenty of options that are made just for storing potable safely. They are expensive in a large capacity but safe!!

example
www.survivalsolutions.com...

new topics

top topics

join