It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: Black Box: Your Car Is Watching You

page: 1

join
share:
df1

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Big Brother is here today. Not only are government cameras watching your every move on the road, but your car is also watching as Canadians have learned. The extent that we are being watched by technology is amazing and not fully appreciated by most people.

www.canada.com
Many Canadians became aware that late-model cars are equipped with "black box" technology during a recent high-profile trial in which a motorist was jailed in the death of a university student in Montreal.

Black box data showed that Eric Gauthier was driving at 157 kilometres an hour just seconds before he struck and killed Yacine Zinet. The trial marked the first time that car data recorders have been accepted as evidence in a Canadian courtroom.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This trend is quite dangerous. How can we excercise our right to face our accuser, when the accuser is a piece a technology? It seems that we humans will be overwhelmed before we ever know what hit us.

[edit on 25-7-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by df1

This trend is quite dangerous. How can we excercise our right to face our accuser, when the accuser is a piece a technology? It seems that we humans will be overwhelmed before we ever know what hit us.

[edit on 24-7-2004 by df1]

Hmmm.... In thinking about this I don't see the technology as being the accuser, I see our own actions as being the accuser, and the technology is just verifying it.

Something to think about?

Anyway, this is old news in the US as it has already been going on (the vehicle black boxes being used in court). That is not what they were intended for, but nevertheless, there it is.

Just follow the rules and don't violate the laws and you won't have to face off on one.

df1

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless
In thinking about this I don't see the technology as being the accuser, I see our own actions as being the accuser, and the technology is just verifying it.

Witnesses are human and have an imperfect recall of things. This is why you have an opportunity to crossexamine witnesses.

The avalanche of patches that have been released to fix the imperfections in microsofts software makes it clear that technology is imperfect also. This should come as no surprise since the technology is created by humans. It should be taken as a given that other human developed technology is imperfect as well.

We should all have the same ability as kobe bryant to challenge the witness of technology. Bryants highly paid attorneys have turned the governments dna testing on its head. Unfortunately only the wealthy, like bryant, have the power to crossexamine the imperfect demons of technology.

It logically follows that the use of human created technology in court cases should be prohibited until a means of crossexamination for the particular technology is available. To do otherwise strikes me as a supreme act of ignorance and the surrender of our humanity to machines.

join