It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IBM Nanoparticle System Destroys Drug-Resistant Bacteria!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
NOTE: If this goes somewhere else, pleas move it for me Mods, or let me know, but I thought this was the best spot for it!

Here's the Link:
business2press.com...

IBM researchers created a new type of nanoparticles that are capable of destroying the membrane walls of certain drug-resistant bacteria strains, leaving the cells to harmlessly thaw without any trace. The new system works by using biodegradable plastic to engineer electrically charged nanoparticles that in turn attract to the bacteria’s opposite charge, in turn destroying the membrane walls hence the cell entirely. Certain types of traditional antibiotic medicines work by blocking certain types of microorganisms that can cause infections from multiplying by interfering with their internal contents, including DNA, or external parts like the membrane wall. Mostly, these medicines work very well in destroying all (which is why it is critical to follow dosage instructions from your physician, and continue to take your prescribed medication even after you feel better) bacteria over the course of treatment, but there are times when not every bacterial cell is killed which could later become drug resistant.

Hope you folks think this is as interesting as I do. Way to think out side of the box, eh? I hope that ideas like this are more looked/researched into in the future.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
It's very interesting how far technological advances have come, I've just invested in a company called Nanosonics here in Australia that have a machine called the Trophon that uses Patented nanotechnology to disinfect.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Nanotechnology, for better or for worse is simply amazing.
Thanks for the info !

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Can this destroy our cells too or specifically bacteria cells? Wait until we see these man made nano machines running rampant.

new topics

top topics

join